Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 09:22 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times

Advertisements

Another victory for the Stupid!

https://nypost.com/2021/01/12/nyc-do...ter-this-year/

Quote:
As with most of the city’s competitive academic offerings, Asian students make up the largest proportion of enrollees.They account for 43 percent of Gifted and Talented students — followed by whites at 36 percent, Hispanics at 8 percent, and African-Americans at 6 percent.

Those damn Asian kids! How dare they have caring parents and an interest in learning. This latest 'wokeness' is only more proof that deBlasio & Carranza want all the white middle-class and Asian middle-class kids to leave the public school system and the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 10:05 AM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
This will only alienate people of color even more. If you think parents of those “gifted” kids won’t find a way for their kids to excel, you are nuts, as nut as the politicians pushing for this diversified integration.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:16 AM

644 posts, read 307,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
This will only alienate people of color even more. If you think parents of those “gifted” kids won’t find a way for their kids to excel, you are nuts, as nut as the politicians pushing for this diversified integration.
Yep. They haven't gotten rid of charter schools yet, or gotten their hands on Catholic schools, or made people pay a fee for leaving the city. Buh-bye, DOE!

Old 01-13-2021, 10:48 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
I always thought a gifted and talented designation in grade school and high school would be more of a handicap then anything else. Students can pursue academic subjects in high school, advanced placement courses, etc. without being labeled. They can even pass entrance exams to get into top academic high schools. When my son was offered entrance to a gifted and talented section in grade school, I turned it down. My reasoning was there were no gifted and talented classes in college. No gifted and talented departments when you went to work. Better to learn to be at home with people of all abilities than isolate yourself.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:05 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I always thought a gifted and talented designation in grade school and high school would be more of a handicap then anything else. Students can pursue academic subjects in high school, advanced placement courses, etc. without being labeled. They can even pass entrance exams to get into top academic high schools. When my son was offered entrance to a gifted and talented section in grade school, I turned it down. My reasoning was there were no gifted and talented classes in college. No gifted and talented departments when you went to work. Better to learn to be at home with people of all abilities than isolate yourself.
Some NYC public schools can be admittedly rough, I presume most parents try to have their kids take the test just to have them avoid getting into fights. We should be fixing that problem first if people are so concerned.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-13-2021, 11:19 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
My counter argument is that gifted and talented programs may better help prepare your kids to get into a good high school if such classes offer a more intimate and challenging learning environment. And taking AP and honors classes (particularly AP, which colleges do care about) in high school can increase the chances of your kids getting into a good college.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 01-13-2021 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-13-2021, 12:34 PM

271 posts, read 566,966 times
Quote:
Better to learn to be at home with people of all abilities than isolate yourself.
The problem with this is the teacher usually moves as fast as the slowest student in the class. If your child learns things quickly and is with other students that learn quickly the teacher can go through the material faster and move onto more advanced topics.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Some NYC public schools can be admittedly rough, I presume most parents try to have their kids take the test just to have them avoid getting into fights. We should be fixing that problem first if people are so concerned.
Good point.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My counter argument is that gifted and talented programs may better help prepare your kids to get into a good high school if such classes offer a more intimate and challenging learning environment. And taking AP and honors classes (particularly AP, which colleges do care about) in high school can increase the chances of your kids getting into a good college.
If you are in regular classes you will probably get all A's, which will qualify you for the better high schools and/or a more rigorous academic program, AP classes, etc. I just think the label of "gifted" may be setting a child up for unreasonable expectations and disappointments in the future.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:24 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Another victory for the Stupid!

https://nypost.com/2021/01/12/nyc-do...ter-this-year/

Those damn Asian kids! How dare they have caring parents and an interest in learning. This latest 'wokeness' is only more proof that deBlasio & Carranza want all the white middle-class and Asian middle-class kids to leave the public school system and the city itself.

deblasio hates asians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City