Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 06:27 PM

5,515 posts, read 8,731,969 times

Advertisements

In SF they were, last time I was there, they were beginning to build safety nets on the sides to save the jumpers. Something similar here?

But the bigger problem is still, of course, getting help for the suicidal. Sad thing is that if someone is really determined to commit suicide, nobody can stop them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 07:53 PM

4,755 posts, read 6,494,559 times
They will have to erect barriers on the Vessel similar to what NYU had to do in Bobst Library.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nyu-b...eens_n_1812743

Old 01-13-2021, 08:01 PM

857 posts, read 838,707 times
Gyms are open, at least in Queens and plenty of folks hitting those spots up to stay fit and blow off some mental anguish in the process. Just saying. Parks are open too. There are ways to keep spiraling out of control as there are ways to go in the opposite direction. Of course every person is different, so cannot judge those who are dealing with major mental health issues. Bottom line, one has to push him/herself to feel better.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:04 AM

5,618 posts, read 2,569,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Bottom line, one has to push him/herself to feel better.
If you say that to somebody who's depressed with suicidal thoughts odds are they're going to take their life.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:32 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,172,248 times
There should have been protective barriers built into the original design. I hope they install the appropriate barriers now so the Vessel can reopen to public at some point.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:17 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Really, so you think these people had absolutely nothing going on in their lives prior to Covid.
Yes, I think that's true for most of the suicide victims

So many people had humble normal lives that were completely destroyed by the lockdowns and isolation, and then all the violence and destruction by BLM-antifa and nobody defended US civilization. Everything literally fell apart for people in a very short amount of time

Old 01-14-2021, 06:26 AM

33,879 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yes, I think that's true for most of the suicide victims

So many people had humble normal lives that were completely destroyed by the lockdowns and isolation, and then all the violence and destruction by BLM-antifa and nobody defended US civilization. Everything literally fell apart for people in a very short amount of time
That's not what I meant. I was inferring that prior to Covid, some people were already in mental distress. This pandemic just exacerbated their situations.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-14-2021, 06:30 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Quote:
That's not what I meant. I was inferring that prior to Covid, some people were already in mental distress. This pandemic just exacerbated their situations.
Yep, worst thing that could have happened to them. But I think even more people had normal lives and couldn't cope when it all fell apart. Cuomo is a murderer in so many ways

Old 01-14-2021, 06:33 AM

33,879 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yep, worst thing that could have happened to them. But I think even more people had normal lives and couldn't cope when it all fell apart. Cuomo is a murderer in so many ways
I honestly think that people started becoming mentally affected from March-April 2020. I know for me at least I'll admit it was a bit sobering riding the trains around then, but I got used to it quickly. Honestly I think peoples' states of mind will change as the weather starts getting warmer. I believe nature plays a big part in mental wellness and health.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-14-2021, 09:31 AM

5,618 posts, read 2,569,593 times
Quote:
I honestly think that people started becoming mentally affected from March-April 2020. I know for me at least I'll admit it was a bit sobering riding the trains around then, but I got used to it quickly. Honestly I think peoples' states of mind will change as the weather starts getting warmer. I believe nature plays a big part in mental wellness and health.
It doesn't sound like your life has been affected too much due to covid. You still have a job, you still have your place, and your family I assume still together. You may not fully understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: