Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 08:04 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Andrew Yang Backs a Civilian Commissioner for the NYPD, Keeping the SHSAT

Tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang, the latest candidate to enter the crowded race for mayor, said he backs appointing a civilian commissioner for the NYPD, and supports keeping the high-stakes entrance exam for specialized high schools but wants to broaden the criteria for admissions.

"The NYPD could use a civilian commissioner," the Democrat said in a Thursday night interview with Inside City Hall anchor Errol Louis. "I think having a commissioner independent from the culture of the police department would give that commissioner a better read on how to help the police department both do its job effectively and also help reform the department to avoid some of the abuses we've seen."

Among his other proposals:

City control of public transit
Closing down Rikers Island — although he says the current timeline will need to be adjusted due to crises the city is facing
Using smartphone technology to verify who has been vaccinated for COVID-19
Oh please. Like the State is just going to give back control over the MTA back to the City, because they did such a great job of running it before they became bankrupt and the State had to take over.

Also no good that he supports closing down Rikers. That means who supports those borough-based jails.

The last thing we need is another "Progressive".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 06:56 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah, mainly BROKE in the parts further north, especially without economic activity from Downstate.

Annoying...like we are the powerhouse of the state and Albany has too much influence over us IMO.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Yep, Quinn.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:27 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
I think Yang has his heart in the right place, I think he's genuinely one of the very, very few good, honest people in politics but I think all that will change if he were to be elected in NYC. He's too soft and the democrats in NYC will chew him up and spit him out and he'll probably be brought off. Its not saying he would have to play dirty but you got to play HARD. You can play hard without playing dirty and I don't think he has that in him.

I think a much better candidate would be Larry Sharpe.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:19 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I think Yang has his heart in the right place, I think he's genuinely one of the very, very few good, honest people in politics but I think all that will change if he were to be elected in NYC. He's too soft and the democrats in NYC will chew him up and spit him out and he'll probably be brought off. Its not saying he would have to play dirty but you got to play HARD. You can play hard without playing dirty and I don't think he has that in him.

I think a much better candidate would be Larry Sharpe.

So your answer is to vote for a corrupt politician who can fight another corrupt politician? It sounds to me like you're saying Yang isn't corrupt/good enough for you.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:20 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Martin Luther King III endorses Andrew Yang, and basic income plan, for NYC mayor

https://www.amny.com/news/martin-lut...nor-of-father/

Martin Luther King III said Yang’s proposal to parse out $1 billion to low income residents of the five boroughs was a concept his father would have backed, adding that Yang’s involvement in the runoff elections in Georgia also sealed this endorsement.

Yang’s proposal would reserve $2,000 for 500,000 New Yorkers on an annual basis on top of $5,000 available to some through IDNYC programs.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:49 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05v-BKrfuG4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City