Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 07:47 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Like the 90 year old buildings were pristine before Covid anyway

Some tenants suck and some LLs suck too

Throw the whole rent stabilization away

Do that and LLs will walk away from their old decrepid buildings even more, lets demolish them and promote new growth.
Exactly. People glaze over the fact that the Landlords, whether local or absentee, are a major part of the problem as well. They perpetate a lot of the housing issues specifically low income.

And to your point, there are deadbeat tenants to boot as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 07:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Exactly. People glaze over the fact that the Landlords, whether local or absentee, are a major part of the problem as well. They perpetate a lot of the housing issues specifically low income.

And to your point, there are deadbeat tenants to boot as well.
For the past 20 years LLs have been taking advantage of the ignorance of the transplants, all that time you were charging $2,000, $2,100 for a studio in Crown Heights and no surplus? Give me a break

Tell me I'm lying

Screwing people over is simply bad business, I can't do business with people whose moral compass is broken, no matter how innocent and naive the transplants are

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2021, 08:27 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
Quote:
For the past 20 years LLs have been taking advantage of the ignorance of the transplants, all that time you were charging $2,000, $2,100 for a studio in Crown Heights and no surplus? Give me a break

Tell me I'm lying

Screwing people over is simply bad business, I can't do business with people whose moral compass is broken, no matter how innocent and naive the transplants are
I absolutely agree. And its interesting that you pointed out their aggresive swindling of the transplant market. They absolutely skew the market for individuals not native to the area or whom have been in teh area for a while to actually follow nthe rental market trends.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:29 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Let the landlords take the hit.
get it from the government

Old 01-21-2021, 12:34 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:

Tell me I'm lying

Explain to me how such "transplants" or anyone else was "screwed over" as you say?

It's a free market, no one forced anyone to take those apartments at asking rent. If people think they could do better then by all means look elsewhere.

This is what's wrong with NYC and much of country today, lack of personal responsibility. Everything is always someone else's fault, and or worse we need yet *more* government intervention because apparently grown a$$ed adults cannot be trusted to make decisions on their own.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:43 PM

106,662 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Eventually Non rent payments will be grounds for getting those tenants out of those stabilized apartments....when we had rent stabilized coop apartments I would wish my tenants couldn’t pay the rent

Old 01-21-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Explain to me how such "transplants" or anyone else was "screwed over" as you say?

It's a free market, no one forced anyone to take those apartments at asking rent. If people think they could do better then by all means look elsewhere.

This is what's wrong with NYC and much of country today, lack of personal responsibility. Everything is always someone else's fault, and or worse we need yet *more* government intervention because apparently grown a$$ed adults cannot be trusted to make decisions on their own.

You've got to be kidding me

And people did look elsewhere, that's why you had crap like this:

Hipster Paradise Lost As McKibben Lofts Ruined By Violent Crime

Where else were they supposed to look Bugs? You tell me.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Eventually Non rent payments will be grounds for getting those tenants out of those stabilized apartments....when we had rent stabilized coop apartments I would wish my tenants couldn’t pay the rent
The stips are going to be soooo long

I think the problem will eventually correct itself

Old 01-21-2021, 12:55 PM

Mind you Bugs, you're talking about people who went from growing up leaving their doors unlocked to living across the street from Borinquen projects, who was going to teach them street smarts? City-Data? LoL

Old 01-22-2021, 05:59 AM

16,050 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:

Tell me I'm lying

Excerpt: For the past 20 years LLs have been taking advantage of the ignorance

Response:Opinion

I agree that there exists on both side bad people.
I have met both evil Landlords and tenants and want nothing to do with them.

As far as charging these astronomical rents? You already know this.....

One can only point the finger back to the city.
If someone is paying $ 14,000 a year for a 2 family home in property taxes
how does the Landlord pay?

The tenant is the answer.

Instead of a tenant living out in the cold he offers
an apartment with heat and running water in
exchange for rent.

Once the property taxes are met as well as house insurance,water and sewer
then there added expenses of upkeep and maintenance. It all adds up.

Take away property taxes and tenants will pay less in rent.
Take away property taxes and those living in subsidized housing will end up on the street.

The city takes the Landlords money to put a roof over the head of the impoverished.
The Landlord takes the money from tenant who take the money as pay for employment.
From construction to fast food , these jobs supply homes for all to live in and food on the table for all to enjoy.

One vicious cycle that can be made easier on all if the impoverished are provided
jobs to assimilate and ease the burden than to instill the burden on everybody else.

Unfortunately the numbers of impoverished are only growing as they are pouring in from all over the world....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City