Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 09:16 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
what are the Scandinavian countries with fairly lax laws?

Maybe I should have more precisely said lax incarceration, because Scandinavian countries do have fairly traditional laws (and as far as I know at least Sweden has zero tolerance laws for drugs, even for mj, like Singapore - however, unlike Singapore, they do not cane people for drug possession, but incarcerate them very comfortably). Scandinavian incarceration is like going to a spa, and some jails in smaller towns let the prisoners out during the day (they just have to return at night, via honor system :-). But I think the relatively low crime rates in Scandinavia overall are the result of absence of crime culture. Their lax incarceration is not the cause, but the consequence, of low crime. Draconic law/incarceration is not needed to deter crime since there isn't all that much crime to start with. Having said that, Scandinavian countries do have SOME serious crime, which is committed largely by immigrants. They are combating that by limiting immigration, and adding the requirement that immigrants have to assimilate with local culture. Some immigrants have actually been deported from Scandinavia after living there for extended time for "failure to assimilate" (I remember reading of a young Thai woman deported I think from Denmark for the evidence of "failing to assimilate" after living there for a couple of years. I don't exactly remember how failure to assimilate was determined).

But an example of a country with truly lax laws (particularly with extremely permissive drug laws) would be Netherlands. They also have among the lowest (or possibly the lowest) incarceration rates in the world. At the same time, crime is on a lower side in large cities compared with most other large cities in Europe. If you search the safest cities in Europe for solo travel, Amsterdam always comes up top. What do they do in Netherlands? First of all, the country does not have a culture of crime - it is another example of a country where relative prosperity rests on long tradition of work ethic mellowed by the near-universal love of ordinary private pleasures, and absence of crime culture. Teenagers from lower-income families in Amsterdam seem to predominantly think that the cool thing is to go bicycling rather than shooting each other. Second, Netherlands largely replaced incarceration by a wide network of institutional psychiatric care. Mentally ill serious criminals (and the majority of serious criminals over there seem to get diagnosed with something or else) are kept in something like halfway mental care centers, where they are medicated and tightly controlled/supervised, but technically have freedom of movement.

So, how they get criminals to not commit crime in Netherlands is by medicating them, and that is COMPULSORY. In fact, they have just started (last year) implementing the new law that allows compulsory treatment of all psychiatric patients deemed by psychiatrists to need medication (whether they are criminal or not) in patients' homes.

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-19-2021 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
It's a peculiar question: How can we get Criminals to follow laws?

rather than "how do we get people to follow laws?"

As the other poster already replied, you don't need to get "people" to follow laws if they already follow them. You don't need to ask how to get me to follow laws, obviously :-). It's like asking how to get people to not eat rotten eggs - most people don't have a taste for that, you don't need to "get them" to not do it. But maybe rotten eggs would become an acquired taste if rappers started promoting rotten eggs, with champaigne and caviar and cocaine, as an expensive delicacy? The majority of people are repelled by the idea of crime to start with, only criminals aren"t.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:36 PM

978 posts, read 675,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Maybe I should have more precisely said lax incarceration, because Scandinavian countries do have fairly traditional laws (and as far as I know at least Sweden has zero tolerance laws for drugs, even for mj, like Singapore - however, unlike Singapore, they do not cane people for drug possession, but incarcerate them very comfortably). Scandinavian incarceration is like going to a spa, and some jails in smaller towns let the prisoners out during the day (they just have to return at night, via honor system :-). But I think the relatively low crime rates in Scandinavia overall are the result of absence of crime culture. Their lax incarceration is not the cause, but the consequence, of low crime. Draconic law/incarceration is not needed to deter crime since there isn't all that much crime to start with. Having said that, Scandinavian countries do have SOME serious crime, which is committed largely by immigrants. They are combating that by limiting immigration, and adding the requirement that immigrants have to assimilate with local culture. Some immigrants have actually been deported from Scandinavia after living there for extended time for "failure to assimilate" (I remember reading of a young Thai woman deported I think from Denmark for the evidence of "failing to assimilate" after living there for a couple of years. I don't exactly remember how failure to assimilate was determined).

But an example of a country with truly lax laws (particularly with extremely permissive drug laws) would be Netherlands. They also have among the lowest (or possibly the lowest) incarceration rates in the world. At the same time, crime is on a lower side in large cities compared with most other large cities in Europe. If you search the safest cities in Europe for solo travel, Amsterdam always comes up top. What do they do in Netherlands? First of all, the country does not have a culture of crime - it is another example of a country where relative prosperity rests on long tradition of work ethic mellowed by the near-universal love of ordinary private pleasures, and absence of crime culture. Teenagers from lower-income families in Amsterdam seem to predominantly think that the cool thing is to go bicycling rather than shooting each other. Second, Netherlands largely replaced incarceration by a wide network of institutional psychiatric care. Mentally ill serious criminals (and the majority of serious criminals over there seem to get diagnosed with something or else) are kept in something like halfway mental care centers, where they are medicated and tightly controlled/supervised, but technically have freedom of movement.

So we should have a strong police state and deport not only the illegal aliens, but “immigrants” who don’t assimilate???

So, how they get criminals to not commit crime in Netherlands is by medicating them, and that is COMPULSORY. In fact, they have just started (last year) implementing the new law that allows compulsory treatment of all psychiatric patients deemed by psychiatrists to need medication (whether they are criminal or not) in patients' homes.
Lol
But what about the caravans waiting for Biden’s inauguration to head north??? Do we cane them, turn them away? What?

Old 01-19-2021, 05:03 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
https://www.radio.com/1010wins/news/...UGlqTHfc3AaA6M

https://twitter.com/NYPD47Pct/status...84297265393665

Glad to see this man following the strict Gun Laws in NY. You know what we need? STRICTER LAWS!

Then maybe he will start following them. Yep that's the answer.
Castration.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Lol
But what about the caravans waiting for Biden’s inauguration to head north??? Do we cane them, turn them away? What?

I am just wondering how the bolded sentence, that we should deport immigrants who refuse to assimilate, ever appeared in your quote of my post?? I never wrote that, as it can be seen in my original post. I did not voice any specific opinion regarding what the US should do about immigrants who refuse to assimilate, but I think deportation of non-citizen criminals would be totally normal, not sure what the basis is for arguing against that. Btw, I myself am a pretty well assimilated non-criminal immigrant. I still have a thick accent after 37.5 years in the US, but I think my posts demonstrate a reasonable fluency in English :-).

Old 01-19-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I am just wondering how the bolded sentence, that we should deport immigrants who refuse to assimilate, ever appeared in your quote of my post?? I never wrote that, as it can be seen in my original post. I did not voice any specific opinion regarding what the US should do about immigrants who refuse to assimilate, but I think deportation of non-citizen criminals would be totally normal, not sure what the basis is for arguing against that. Btw, I myself am a pretty well assimilated non-criminal immigrant. I still have a thick accent after 37.5 years in the US, but I think my posts demonstrate a reasonable fluency in English :-).
Sorry I did not mean to insert that to your quote. Typing on the phone is trickier than a desktop. That said though you sat there and praised Singapore and Scandinavia‘s policies regarding criminals . Singapore is a Nany state with people tattle tailing on each other and severe (compared to other nations) corporal punishment. Scandinavian countries (of where I’m from) boot immigrants out for not assimilating.
You say you aren’t mentioning those things but you are by backing up those models.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Sorry I did not mean to insert that to your quote. Typing on the phone is trickier than a desktop. That said though you sat there and praised Singapore and Scandinavia‘s policies regarding criminals . Singapore is a Nany state with people tattle tailing on each other and severe (compared to other nations) corporal punishment. Scandinavian countries (of where I’m from) boot immigrants out for not assimilating.
You say you aren’t mentioning those things but you are by backing up those models.
Ideally you want a country where you don't need a huge police force and caning to keep the peace

What do you think of these Scandinavian policies of boot immigrants out for not assimilating?

Every country has a unique set of circumstances, immigrants are vital as farm workers and in construction and other industries here in America. The birth rate of people born here has downward trend also, in some sectors

https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...ts-in-new-york

Immigrants in New York

Nearly a quarter of New York residents are immigrants, while almost one-fifth of residents are native-born U.S. citizens with at least one immigrant parent.

In 2018, 4.4 million immigrants (foreign-born individuals) comprised 23 percent of the population.
New York was home to 2.3 million women, 2 million men, and 206,980 children who were immigrants.
The top countries of origin for immigrants were the Dominican Republic (11 percent of immigrants), China (9 percent), Mexico (5 percent), Jamaica (5 percent), and India (4 percent).
In 2018, 3.6 million people in New York (18 percent of the state’s population) were native-born Americans who had at least one immigrant parent.
Nearly three in five immigrants in New York are naturalized U.S. citizens.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:19 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
How do we stop idiots from saying idiotic things?

Old 01-20-2021, 05:03 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
https://www.radio.com/1010wins/news/...UGlqTHfc3AaA6M

https://twitter.com/NYPD47Pct/status...84297265393665

Glad to see this man following the strict Gun Laws in NY. You know what we need? STRICTER LAWS!

Then maybe he will start following them. Yep that's the answer.
Response: Opinion

Worried about folks in our country?

We had stricter laws............but the people voted him out of office.

Watch the walls come down and people pour in from outside our country.

One can only imagine...................

Old 01-20-2021, 07:49 AM

Yup, I wonder how well they will assimilate in our country, ya think???
“When the walls come tumbling down..... let the lineup begin

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

Luis Echeverria

VADO HONDO, Guatemala (Reuters) - Guatemalan security forces on Sunday used sticks and tear gas to beat back a large migrant caravan bound for the United States, just days before the advent of a new U.S. administration, which urged travelers to abandon the journey.

Between 7,000 and 8,000 migrants, including families with young children, have entered Guatemala since Friday, authorities say, fleeing poverty and violence in a region hammered by the coronavirus pandemic and back-to-back hurricanes in November.

Last edited by homestead123; 01-20-2021 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Too long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: