Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 08:35 AM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
sorry to hear it. Did you get any treatments people might not be familiar with?
No , treatments are pretty routine now ..steroids and remdesivir infusion.

Also they learned blood clots do a lot of damage from covid , so anti clotting shots were daily and now we are taking a drug at home to prevent clots..

We were hospitalized at Long Island Jewish

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-20-2021 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 08:40 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I just fail to understand why places Upstate are allowed to operate at 50%, when NYC has lower Covid rates. The Bronx, and Manhattan...arent they not even in orange but still closed? How is it Staten sued and NYC still wasn't included in any reopening? I'm so confused by the the most recent decision.

And isn't Covid flattening out in NYC?
The Bronx has the highest COVID rate rn besting Staten Island

Old 01-20-2021, 08:45 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
I apologize. The credit was meant for you.

Okay so when you say NY, did u mean NYC? I am asking about NYC and tbh, I would like to see cases from each borough. I liked how they were doing it block by block. That to me made more sense. I do not see where NYC cases are increasing. I looked at the link u sent. What i saw was a decrease or flattening/stabilizing. I do not see where you are saying cases have increased signicantly for NYC and if u meant NYC, are you including all the boroughs? For the longest time, I have only seen BK, Queens, and Staten (certain parts) in orange.

Correction: I do see an increase in hospitalizations. It was the only metric I saw with an increase...oh **** let me ask my family. They should know. Brb.
https://images2.imgbox.com/77/2e/XpGhPmy3_o.png

The chart is New York City, case numbers over several months and another chart of the deaths.
The earlier peak was end of March beginning of April, then it goes down and no, beginning in September it came up again well exceeding the earlier peak. We may be at a peak that will go down in February but the new strains are out there, not unexpected in disease, mutations, that are a lot more contagious but not more deadly so that could bring case numbers back up again, maybe in March. Vaccine distribution is hoped to be gradually counteracting

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov...r=no&%3Atabs=n

New York City area, CASES, Jan 20
note Manhattan lowest cases boro

the above NYC government chart and they also have hospitalization and other charts here:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Last edited by jonbenson; 01-20-2021 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-20-2021, 09:02 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
No , treatments are pretty routine now ..steroids and remdesivir infusion.

Also they learned blood clots do a lot of damage from covid , so anti clotting shots were daily and now we are taking a drug at home to prevent clots..

We were hospitalized at Long Island Jewish
Sorry to hear that. Wish u well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The Bronx has the highest COVID rate rn besting Staten Island
Maybe it's goos I don't watch the news. This s*** is depressing.

Quote:
https://images2.imgbox.com/77/2e/XpGhPmy3_o.png

The chart is New York City, case numbers over several months and another chart of the deaths.
The earlier peak was end of March beginning of April, then it goes down and no, beginning in September it came up again well exceeding the earlier peak. We may be at a peak that will go down in February but the new strains are out there, not unexpected in disease, mutations, that are a lot more contagious but not more deadly so that could bring case numbers back up again, maybe in March. Vaccine distribution is hoped to be gradually counteracting

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov...r=no&%3Atabs=n

New York City area, CASES, Jan 20
note Manhattan lowest cases boro

the above NYC government chart and they also have hospitalization and other charts here:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page
Even more depressing. But thanks for informing.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:05 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Well...if they are going to continue this lockdown, I am curious to see if we will get direct payments more often. I have a feeling the worst is yet to come (not necessarily in NYC though but other parts of the country)...at least for the people who financially need it and the industries most impacted...hope the workers will be looked out for but I highly doubt it.
I see a big a** depression coming up if more isn't done.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:51 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
With it's very high population density mitigation efforts by the government and it's people have not been enough to check the exponential growth of the virus although death rates are lower. Additionally the new faster spreading strains have been detected in New York. A UK study reported in the NY Post headline also said
"One in eight recovered COVID patients die from illness complications within 5 months",
mean age 65, a quarter of the admissions are people under the age of 55.

Look at this hypothetical scenario, the Ste and city government does a full reversal says next week everything is open (perhaps even a fine for wearing a mask)
so next week all bars, restaurants, movie theatres, Broadway shows, gyms, convention spaces, concert halls, the subway etc, etc everything is open, everybody throws their mask in the garbage

Is it possible that if we just do the reverse that that would end COVID-19 or lower the case rate?
What does high population density have to do with indoor dining? A restaurant upstate with 10 people inside is the same as a restaurant in NYC with 10 people inside.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:52 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Well...if they are going to continue this lockdown, I am curious to see if we will get direct payments more often. I have a feeling the worst is yet to come (not necessarily in NYC though but other parts of the country)...at least for the people who financially need it and the industries most impacted...hope the workers will be looked out for but I highly doubt it.
I see a big a** depression coming up if more isn't done.
You support Democrats. Live with the consequences and stop complaining.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:08 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Looks like we're back to this again, two in two minutes. You cannot misspell words to avoid the swear filter, period. I don't care if I agree with you or not, it is a forum rule that must be adhered to unless you want this section to get a lot more attention from those above me and Seventh.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-20-2021, 10:12 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times
Quote:
I'm talking about fully open indoors no restrictions
It doesn't need to be all or nothing. I think, as a compromise, some capacity restrictions and/or having to sit at a table can be tolerated. However, keeping the heavy-handed restrictions in place such as full-closure or a stupid 10pm closing time just seems to encourage more gatherings/parties in private residencies.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:14 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What does high population density have to do with indoor dining? A restaurant upstate with 10 people inside is the same as a restaurant in NYC with 10 people inside.

It will spread more quickly in high density areas. So a transmission could occur in a restaurant and once it comes out of there, spread more quickly.

Secondly there is a high density of restaurants in New York City to keep oversight over. That is thousands of more manpower and cost. There were over 27 thousand restaurants in New York.

So one person coming out of an upstate restaurant with a virus might come into close proximity with 50 people soon after but another person coming out of a city restaurant might come into close proximity of hundreds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City