Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 09:12 AM

224 posts, read 454,771 times

Advertisements

Rents are lower now due to covid. I read that after covid landlords will increase rents. Is it usually increased to pre covid levels, even more to make up for reduced rent during covid, or is there a limit to how much rent can be increased year to year? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 09:18 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
Rents are lower now due to covid. I read that after covid landlords will increase rents. Is it usually increased to pre covid levels, even more to make up for reduced rent during covid, or is there a limit to how much rent can be increased year to year? Thank you
When landlords don't get to collect, they will keep rent up on people who pays while taking properties off market to prevent squatters. I used to be a landlord and I'm glad I'm out.

Forget about rent, how about people who are behind on rent. All these rent freezes are gonna pile up debt and we will have a major epidemic of people not paying at all while waiting to be evicted.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:11 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,840,356 times
As a New York State landlord, there is no limit for rent increases once the moritorium is lifted. DeBozo and/or Czar Cuomo may other plans in mind.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:12 AM

106,718 posts, read 108,913,061 times
With so many business and individuals taking some sort of financial hit why would a landlord think he can just pretend it is business as usual and remain unscathed?

It would be not very logical to think that like any other investment you are not subject to hard times too .

I have no idea what the answer is unless adjustments are made on real estate taxes and mortgages , as solving this is above my pay grade .

but the thought that you have sectors that think they should come out whole while the majority take financial hits defies logic

Old 01-17-2021, 05:53 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Only rent stabilized buildings have limits on rent increases.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:12 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
I expect increases to the extent that the market allows.

While not a NYC rental, my have not increased the rent for my place in Hawaii, where the rental market has also been hard hit. But I also haven't lowered the rent as I haven't had to. I don't see myself increasing the rent when the lease is up for renewal this coming summer, too.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:27 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Response: Opinion
All have suffered because of Covid.

City and State is responsible for destroying the livelihood of Landlords.
Property owners are out thousands upon thousands of unpaid rent.

Bills must be past to hold those in arrears accountable.

Freezing assets in bearers name is a good place to start.
Tax returns,Personal Property etc....

Old 01-17-2021, 06:34 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
With so many business and individuals taking some sort of financial hit why would a landlord think he can just pretend it is business as usual and remain unscathed?

It would be not very logical to think that like any other investment you are not subject to hard times too .

I have no idea what the answer is unless adjustments are made on real estate taxes and mortgages , as solving this is above my pay grade .

but the thought that you have sectors that think they should come out whole while the majority take financial hits defies logic
The answer is either some kind of debt/property tax jubilee/amortization on the back half of the loans or a big steaming dump of Elephant excrement all over the city leading to a massive bankruptcies jamming up all courts for years to come with no end in sight. Property values fall of a cliff, families leave and criminals and gangs move in to the abandoned properties.

The prelude to Escape from NY is starting soon. Get your popcorn.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:37 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion
All have suffered because of Covid.

City and State is responsible for destroying the livelihood of Landlords.
Property owners are out thousands upon thousands of unpaid rent.

Bills must be past to hold those in arrears accountable.

Freezing assets in bearers name is a good place to start.
Tax returns,Personal Property etc....
Structural problems cannot be solved by individual punishment.

We need Structural solutions. Hence Andrew Yang...

What is Zero plus Zero?

What happens to the balance sheet when you try to remove assets from someone with a negative net worth?

You just become the 4th creditor for an uncollectable debt.

At what point does common sense take hold in America?

Old 01-17-2021, 08:48 AM

5,687 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I expect increases to the extent that the market allows.

While not a NYC rental, my have not increased the rent for my place in Hawaii, where the rental market has also been hard hit. But I also haven't lowered the rent as I haven't had to. I don't see myself increasing the rent when the lease is up for renewal this coming summer, too.
If you're in New York can I stay in your Hawaii place for a little while. Pretty please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: