Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 09:17 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,834,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So I guess LLs only rent to hospitality staff and restauranteurs

This is crazy
With all the restaurants closed its gonna be hard for them to find commercial tenants.

Mary Jane and XXX are high margin enterprise that can pay the exorbitant amount and bridge the gap.

No more airline employees en masse putting money into local air bnbs

Several property owners have cited low air bnb traffic to why they may now have to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 10:49 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,689,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Hah, good luck with that. You realize that NYC's rebirth was symbiotic with the Disneyfication of Times Square, right? Vice and Criminality are what led to the decay and decline of the 60's/70's are we are back at the front end of that cycle. We have massive middle class flight, emboldened criminals who face no consequences, and a demoralized police force that is not motivated to serve people who disparage them

And it's so oddly similar, the 60's cycle also started with riots and protests and activism. It took us 25 years to learn our lesson, how long will it be this time?
It's starts with economics, the oil crisis, fiscal policy, over spending, recession, inflation

Out of the recession were austerity measures and budgetary cutbacks including the police budget and layoffs. you are talking about results not causes of crime and dirtiness.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 441,082 times
Quote:
This great majestic city owes its prominence to food, and beds

Literally

I'm almost ashamed and I'm a native.
Bro, tourism brought in more than 60 million visitors in 2019 and nearly $50 billion in revenue.

Do you think all the "poor" in NYC who have their hands out generate revenue for this city? How do you think the city pays for all of the handouts?

Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 PM

33,398 posts, read 46,833,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Bro, tourism brought in more than 60 million visitors in 2019 and nearly $50 billion in revenue.

Do you think all the "poor" in NYC who have their hands out generate revenue for this city? How do you think the city pays for all of the handouts?
Tourism? Ppl are not getting on planes and coming here for the food. That's New Orleans.

The restuarant industry sucks on the teat of corporate NYC mostly. Now hospitality, you have a point. Clearly they hurt from tourism.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2021, 07:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 441,082 times
Quote:
Tourism? Ppl are not getting on planes and coming here for the food. That's New Orleans.

The restuarant industry sucks on the teat of corporate NYC mostly. Now hospitality, you have a point. Clearly they hurt from tourism.
People might not be coming here for food but when they come here as tourists, where do you think they eat? Maybe they all come with cans of tuna and crackers in their luggage?

Yes, restaurants in the city depend on the daily workers but tourism.iant an insignificant source of revenue for many city restaurants.
Even if tourism only accounted for a quarter or a restaurants revenue, that hit would be very significant taking I to account the margins of the restaurant industry.

Old 01-23-2021, 03:50 AM

105,798 posts, read 107,776,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
https://nypost.com/2021/01/20/gov-cu...id-until-2025/

Good Luck.

Unless you're an Insta/Uber/Gig Dasher OR a High skilled White collar employee with tenure.

Imagine if Trump won? Would the recovery take until 2030?

Oh and for the handful of lucky individuals with job offers in hand, I'm talking about the majority. Not outliers.
Covid gave many companies the chance to clean out those they consider dispensable.

It is rare any company gets rid of their best of breed employees unless they are closing the doors . Even then those best of breed employees are coveted by their competitors....

So what you have is a lot of that level that likes to think of themselves as that best of breed employee but really are just mediocre or below par .

I know if anyone has any knowledge of electrical supplies or motor controls the company I worked for is hiring in Nassau county like crazy . But they are very selective...

Many senior employees retired since covid and need to be replaced ...

Pre covid I was training warehouse people since I retired , one day a week , to move up the ladder so there was always a bench to pull from but with covid that came to a halt and now there is no bench.

The owner called me yesterday to see if when I feel better from covid , if I wanted to come out of retirement for a while ,if can give him some time until they can fill the ranks .

The company grew from 6 million a year in sales and 8 of us when I started over 24 years ago to 320 employees and 110 million in sales all owned by one man .

They need counter men , and inside sales people and the pay can go quite high depending on knowledge and following if any .

So there are jobs out there if one makes the cut ..otherwise if you don’t you think there are no jobs but it is just no jobs perhaps for you as for whatever reason you failed to make the grade.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-23-2021 at 04:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City