Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 07:32 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
You can escape from New York but you can never get away from New Yorkers. We are everywhere.

There used to be a TV commercial with a young couple dying to get away from NYC and they show the couple taking planes, trains, boats to some remote beach where they go on a horseback tour. A guy in a Yankee cap comes right up behind them: "Heyyy, You live in my building!"
One night years ago I was driving in ATL and there's so many streets named Peachtree I thought I wasn't going the right way, so I pulled down my window and asked the guy next to me for directions. He said "you're right up the block, follow me." I asked him, "you don't have a southern accent, where are you from?"

His response, "The Bronx."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 07:38 AM

68 posts, read 53,682 times
You happened to pick what may easily be the most obnoxious burbs in the country though.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Omg. I spent a few weeks in the Northern VA burbs to “get out of the city”. They have the same damn issues, but with garbage restaurants. There is literally nothing to do plus you eat crappy food from chain restaurants.

Came back to upper Manhattan and at least have some nice food options to eat out under heat lamps. The city is more alive even now than any ****ty suburb.

Enjoy “eating inside” at Olive Garden in the burbs. I’ll stick to eating outside under a heat lamp at a real restaurant. TYVM.
Don't speed on the Interstates in VA.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:55 AM

615 posts, read 448,446 times
And NO radar detectors!

Old 01-21-2021, 08:51 AM

870 posts, read 414,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Omg. I spent a few weeks in the Northern VA burbs to “get out of the city”. They have the same damn issues, but with garbage restaurants. There is literally nothing to do plus you eat crappy food from chain restaurants.

Came back to upper Manhattan and at least have some nice food options to eat out under heat lamps. The city is more alive even now than any ****ty suburb.

Enjoy “eating inside” at Olive Garden in the burbs. I’ll stick to eating outside under a heat lamp at a real restaurant. TYVM.
There is suburb and suburb. You were in a not-so-outstanding part of VA, trust me you can dine indoors and eat good food right across the Hudson River, or past the Bronx’s northern border, and it’s the suburbs as well.
Also I remember D.C’s suburbs in Maryland and it was not like what you are describing.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:55 AM

Diverse population = better food

NoVa doesn't strike me as diverse

Old 01-21-2021, 09:28 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Better ethnic food, not necessarily better food.

NYC no longer stands far above and beyond when it comes to food. Especially not now with our restaurant industry in shambles.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-21-2021, 09:41 AM

68 posts, read 53,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Diverse population = better food

NoVa doesn't strike me as diverse
Not in terms of black folks or ethnic whites but it's actually respectable when it comes to Asians (namely Koreans, Vietnamese, Indians) and Latinos (mainly centros but also Peruvians and Bolivians). There is *some* decent food there but the problem is everything is spread all over hell in far-flung stripmalls that often don't seem worth the effort to get to.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:46 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

NYC no longer stands far above and beyond when it comes to food. Especially not now with our restaurant industry in shambles.
Have to disagree, good luck finding good Indian or Thai food in like Connecticut, it's all ****

I went to Bangkok and when I got back people from out of NYC asked me, "wasn't it the most delicious Thai food you've ever had while there?". I was just like, umm, it was excellent but the same as the places I go to in NYC. That's how good the quality is here

Old 01-21-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Hmm

This gives me an idea for a new thread

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City