Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 11:21 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
The Puerto Ricans are definitely joining the NYC middle-class. They are sort of following the Italian-American pattern of starting out in a ghetto area, then working their way out to a better neighborhood. Up until the 1970s NYC Italians and Puerto Ricans would battle each other, today they are literally neighbors. The African-Americans are the only group left in the ghettos in large numbers.

The Mexicans also seem to following the Italian-American pattern in some ways. Many of the old-school Italian lawncare guys have retired and sold their businesses to Mexicans that used to work for them.
This post is pretty wrong. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans both live in some of the worst neighborhoods in NYC, places that Italians have left 40-60 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 01:13 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
We don't appreciate enough each other for who we are

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-23-2021, 01:20 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Actually.... Asians of both brown and yellow color are now the highest paid - having surpassed whites. This means that hard work and discipline will get one out of poverty regardless of race or ethnic backgrounds. I really believe that the media, movies, and idiots like Don Lemon have a lot of fault in brainwashing people to think that they need the white man to progress.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:18 PM

169 posts, read 63,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Actually.... Asians of both brown and yellow color are now the highest paid - having surpassed whites. This means that hard work and discipline will get one out of poverty regardless of race or ethnic backgrounds.
Irrelevant to the point being made. Populations and demographics shift over time. The person was trying to suggest that African Americans and other Blacks haven't made great strides over the decades in terms of economic success. The South Asians you speak of, specifically in Queens (Queens Village is a great example) are buying the single family homes in the very same areas that Blacks originally moved to when moving up from less than stellar circumstances some 60-80 years ago. Just as those Blacks have moved onto bigger and better things, East and South Asians (over the last 15 years or so) are now doing the same. In fact faster because they did not have to deal with the redlining, curfews, molotov cocktails and restrictive covenants that Blacks dealt with en masse for a century in the areas that I referenced in the present day.

Quote:
I really believe that the media, movies, and idiots like Don Lemon have a lot of fault in brainwashing people to think that they need the white man to progress.
In your world maybe, and maybe you buy into the media BS by having your eyes glued to your TV or smartphone. Don't paint an entire group with one brush in terms of work ethic. There is no shortage of blacks who have and have had that work ethic and are getting by just fine in NYC. There is no shortage of black professionals, high earners, business owners and home owners in the NYC area and hasn't been any such shortage for the last 80 years.

Last edited by deconstructer; 01-23-2021 at 02:29 PM..

Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 PM

565 posts, read 361,376 times
Quote:
Actually.... Asians of both brown and yellow color are now the highest paid - having surpassed whites. This means that hard work and discipline will get one out of poverty regardless of race or ethnic backgrounds. I really believe that the media, movies, and idiots like Don Lemon have a lot of fault in brainwashing people to think that they need the white man to progress.
I love how people like you call everyone and everything RACIST!!!!! yet here you are referring to Asians as yellow! ROFL. You liberal snowflakes are a piece of work.

Come to my neighborhood and start calling my neighbors yellow and see what happens. That ain't me talking, that's them.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:49 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
I love how people like you call everyone and everything RACIST!!!!! yet here you are referring to Asians as yellow! ROFL. You liberal snowflakes are a piece of work.

Come to my neighborhood and start calling my neighbors yellow and see what happens. That ain't me talking, that's them.
why is it white and black people love to referred to by color but not Asians? I'm including all Asians from Pakistanis to Japanese.
Similarly, Mexicans some of whom can be dark don't often call themselves "Browns"

It's not even accurate, white people are not the color of milk and black people are brown except for a small portion very dark brown approaching black

Old 01-23-2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstructer View Post
There is no shortage of black professionals, high earners, business owners and home owners in the NYC area and hasn't been any such shortage for the last 80 years.
So poverty and unemployment isn't an issue in the Black community?

Old 01-24-2021, 12:23 AM

565 posts, read 361,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
why is it white and black people love to referred to by color but not Asians? I'm including all Asians from Pakistanis to Japanese.
Similarly, Mexicans some of whom can be dark don't often call themselves "Browns"

It's not even accurate, white people are not the color of milk and black people are brown except for a small portion very dark brown approaching black
I agree. Genetically, there's all different shades of white (tan Italians are not as white as Irish freckles with red hair). Not even close. "White" tanned Italians are just as brown as some "black" people.

The entire idea of color coding people is such a liberal left wing tactic to divide. Sure, there was a time in this country when it was just "black and white" but since the 60s in this country there are all kinds of people here of all skin types. And now over the last 5 years I'd say, the term "poc" has been invented by the left as just another way to divide. I'm 49. I was told growing up that using the word negro or "colored person" was offensive to African Americans...and the term "brown" was never used to describe my Hispanic friends. Not once did they ever say I am "brown." Good lord. Even in the "white" community, we never thought of us as monolith. Irish, Italians, Jews, Greeks...all different. And now the left wants to force Asians into the color scheme...yet they will never say the world yellow. Notice that?

The left wing democrats of 2021 are down right evil.

P.S. - Barak Obama's grandparents were as Irish as mine. If he showed his ancestry DNA test, I'd guess he's at least 40% Irish descent. No doubt. That's a lot of "whitey" inside the first "black" president if you ask me.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I agree. Genetically, there's all different shades of white (tan Italians are not as white as Irish freckles with red hair). Not even close. "White" tanned Italians are just as brown as some "black" people.

The entire idea of color coding people is such a liberal left wing tactic to divide. Sure, there was a time in this country when it was just "black and white" but since the 60s in this country there are all kinds of people here of all skin types. And now over the last 5 years I'd say, the term "poc" has been invented by the left as just another way to divide. I'm 49. I was told growing up that using the word negro or "colored person" was offensive to African Americans...and the term "brown" was never used to describe my Hispanic friends. Not once did they ever say I am "brown." Good lord. Even in the "white" community, we never thought of us as monolith. Irish, Italians, Jews, Greeks...all different. And now the left wants to force Asians into the color scheme...yet they will never say the world yellow. Notice that?

P.S. - Barak Obama's grandparents were as Irish as mine. If he showed his ancestry DNA test, I'd guess he's at least 40% Irish descent. No doubt. That's a lot of "whitey" inside the first "black" president if you ask me.
The solution would have to start from the top of the power structure,
the term "white" would have to be discarded ,
everything geographic,

Last edited by jonbenson; 01-24-2021 at 02:20 AM..

Old 01-24-2021, 03:17 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
Quote:

Sounds like Kamala "Black Power" Harris with her Indian Mother and Jamaican Father. Somehow she morphed into an African American. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City