Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 10:32 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,060 times

Advertisements

Trying to keep myself occupied during this time, and so I'm trying to visit as many museums here in NYC as I can. I try to go every weekend and at least see one or two. So far I've went to the Guggenheim, Museum of Art and Design (which I wasn't crazy about), and this weekend I plan to go the Met to view the fashion exhibit. Others on my list that I would like to visit include:

Museum of the City of NY (but they're closed until February)
The Historical Society
MOMA

I'd appreciate any other suggestions for interesting exhibits or galleries anyone has visited recently that are not on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 10:55 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Trying to keep myself occupied during this time, and so I'm trying to visit as many museums here in NYC as I can. I try to go every weekend and at least see one or two. So far I've went to the Guggenheim, Museum of Art and Design (which I wasn't crazy about), and this weekend I plan to go the Met to view the fashion exhibit. Others on my list that I would like to visit include:

The Historical Society
MOMA

I'd appreciate any other suggestions for interesting exhibits or galleries anyone has visited recently that are not on my list.

The Cloisters.

The Frick, obviously.

The Jewish Museum (near the Frick) has a small permanent collection, but sometimes has interesting temporary exhibits - the Sabbath is a permanent attraction, though (ie, the museum is free on Saturdays).

The Skyscraper Museum in Battery Park City - a tiny museum, but history and future of skyscrapers is very well presented, comprehensive, and informative.

The Merchant's House on E 4th St , if you haven't seen it yet.

The Lower East Side Tenement Museum - a Disneyland of immigrant hardship, if you like that kind of approach (ie, actors impersonating early 20th century immigrants).

I would imagine most or all of these are still closed, though.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The Cloisters.

The Frick, obviously.

The Jewish Museum (near the Frick) has a small permanent collection, but sometimes has interesting temporary exhibits - the Sabbath is a permanent attraction, though (ie, the museum is free on Saturdays).

The Skyscraper Museum in Battery Park City - a tiny museum, but history and future of skyscrapers is very well presented, comprehensive, and informative.

The Merchant's House on E 4th St , if you haven't seen it yet.

The Lower East Side Tenement Museum - a Disneyland of immigrant hardship, if you like that kind of approach (ie, actors impersonating early 20th century immigrants).

I would imagine most or all of these are still closed, though.

Thanks! Great suggestions. I know the Frick is closed, but I'll look into the others. Totally forgot about the Tenement museum and I've always wanted to go, thanks for reminding me!

Old 01-27-2021, 11:49 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I second The Cloisters. Don't know if they are open.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:02 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I don't know which of the following are currently allowing visitors:

Federal Hall in downtown Manhattan is an interesting small museum to visit.

The Brookyn Museum has an interesting Egyptian exhibit.

The Transit Museum in Brooklyn if one has any interest in the NYC transit system.

The Museum of the Moving Image in Queens which gives one the history of the movie industry before a good part of it relocated to Hollywood.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:42 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
Quote:
Museum of Art and Design (which I wasn't crazy about), and this weekend I plan to go the Met to view the fashion exhibit. Others on my list that I would like to visit include:

The Historical Society
MOMA

I have seen great exhibits at Museum of Art and Design, what do they have there now you didn't like?

This is a good one: The National Museum of the American Indian, make sure to see the permanent part

The 17 Most Unique & Unusual Museums In NYC

https://guestofaguest.com/new-york/nyc/unique-museums

this is 2016, so might not all still be around

Quote:

they have a movie that always runs there, a history of new york that is shown on multiple moving screens, it's fantastic. Also Tiffany lamp collection

Old 01-27-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I have seen great exhibits at Museum of Art and Design, what do they have there now you didn't like?

This is a good one: The National Museum of the American Indian, make sure to see the permanent part

The 17 Most Unique & Unusual Museums In NYC

https://guestofaguest.com/new-york/nyc/unique-museums

this is 2016, so might not all still be around

they have a movie that always runs there, a history of new york that is shown on multiple moving screens, it's fantastic. Also Tiffany lamp collection
It's not that I didn't like it, I think it was more of the fact that it wasn't my taste. There were some really cool exhibits, like one on jewelry (which I believe ended this past weekend), and some really cool glass art displays. However I enjoyed the Guggenheim way more in comparison.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:54 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,126,732 times
The Morgan Library and Museum specializes in drawings, prints and rare book exhibits.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:04 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Tenement Museum is only offering weekend walking tours of the LES and "virtual" tenement visits. Which makes sense when you realize that their building is basically a respiratory-disease incubator!

Old 01-28-2021, 01:34 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
Quote:
It's not that I didn't like it, I think it was more of the fact that it wasn't my taste. There were some really cool exhibits, like one on jewelry (which I believe ended this past weekend), and some really cool glass art displays. However I enjoyed the Guggenheim way more in comparison.
If you have time can you tell us what are some good exhibits on now, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City