Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 05:54 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Not going to happen!!!
My thoughts exactly! Those in none of the more vulnerable categories (including those with pre-existing conditions who are younger) aren't in line to get vaccinated before the late spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 08:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
New Covid strain from South Africa has been found in South Carolina. It's more wicked than all others. The two Americans infected had not traveled to or from South Africa.

Maybe, instead of shutting down our own schools and businesses, we should have shutdown all travel in and out of our country? That South African variant didn't fly here on its own.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/healt...ica/index.html
This is why people need to get healthy and not wait for vaccine or stopping travel. If you're not healthy don't go out right now. If people have gotten the new strain, more likely others have gotten it too and not showing symptoms.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:43 AM

5,678 posts, read 2,610,110 times
This is something we are going to have to live with. It's not gonna disappear.
And guess what, in a few years another virus will come up. Time for people to Buck up, take care of their health and continue living.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:45 AM

5,823 posts, read 2,943,117 times
As predicted. Covid 20, 21, 22.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:57 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
My theory from early on is that a very small number of superspreader people infect the vast majority of positive people. I'm guessing this new strain makes more people superspreaders, so a person with regular covid that wouldn't infect many people now infects everyone with this new strain

Old 01-29-2021, 09:21 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is why people need to get healthy and not wait for vaccine or stopping travel. If you're not healthy don't go out right now. If people have gotten the new strain, more likely others have gotten it too and not showing symptoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
This is something we are going to have to live with. It's not gonna disappear.
And guess what, in a few years another virus will come up. Time for people to Buck up, take care of their health and continue living.
If a person has pre-existing conditions and is on medications and otherwise healthy, you can't tell them to stop living and never go outside.

I hope J&& vaccine get approved soon as it is a one shot deal (vs. the others that need a second booster shot).

Old 01-29-2021, 09:25 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Probably just because telling vaxxed people they don't need a mask, before the vaccine is available to everyone, opens a can of worms. Is a store clerk going to argue with a customer who's breathing down everyone's neck with no mask on, claiming they're vaxxed? What if subway riders start doing that? It's annoying to keep hearing that we still need masks for months, but I can see why they're sticking to that message.

Anyway, not complaining about masks now. I'm really enjoying that it keeps my face warm in this weather
You still have to wear a mask if your vaccinated because you can still carry Covid and infect someone else, the vaccine will just prevent symptoms and sickness, but does not prevent the virus from going into your system. The 95% efficacy rate is in preventing sickness if you were to contract the virus.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:26 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If a person has pre-existing conditions and is on medications and otherwise healthy, you can't tell them to stop living and never go outside.

I hope J&& vaccine get approved soon as it is a one shot deal (vs. the others that need a second booster shot).
J&J only has a 66% efficacy rate. I'd rather the two shot deal from Moderna or Pfizer.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

Good luck with that, look at the US infection and death rate. That's what you called freedom of choice.

While other countries will be enjoying post-covid sooner than us because these "choices" that Americans make will keep progress back.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:23 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Viruses will always be with us. Let's not lose our humanity over them. People don't chose to be sick and unhealthy. Though some people may chose an unhealthy lifestyle and diet, all of us do not. Old age hits everybody. So do the healthy problems that creep in with age. Cancer doesn't discriminate either way. Some of us are born with health problems.

I'm not holding my breath for the vaccine. By the time it gets here, the virus will have mutated again. We have altered our lifestyle. We distance ourselves socially (which hurts the most), we wear the masks while shopping, and we wash our hands a lot. Above all, we prepare to meet our Maker. That gives us both more peace than a vaccine can provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: