U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 11:24 PM

28,701 posts, read 27,918,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanoftheboard View Post
Thorium is the future in reactors and genuine clean energy.

It could be, there are several different pathways being developed, but it's possible. That being said, the energy produced for just about all proposed nuclear reactors for utility use would be towards generating electricity, so it makes a lot more sense to concentrate strongly on building out the electrical infrastructure given that all fossil fuels have a pretty time-tested viable conversion pathway to electricity, the advancements made in various renewable energy electrical production are at the very least very promising, and the future bet that at least one of the promising reactor designs being pursued does end up becoming commercially viable. In that light, trying to further augment the natural gas pipeline infrastructure for those last miles to direct consumer use just seems stupid and wasteful. It's like we have a system that can't plan for more than a few years before that institutional ADHD kicks in. This is a surprisingly smart move, but given that it's Big Bird there's a decent chance it'll either 1) flop because of sheer incompetency in execution or 2) flop because the next person or persons down the line will reverse it just to flip Big Bird the bird.

Anyhow, we might be in luck with thorium research since it was the Obama administration, which Biden was a part of, that was probably the most gungho about exploring thorium-based nuclear power with former Energy Secretary Steven Chu. Still going to be tough though, because a lot of people hear "nuclear" and just start screaming.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-30-2021 at 12:05 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 12:06 AM

528 posts, read 144,860 times
Interesting. Not sure what to think about that. On one hand, if this happens, it will drive the demand for electricity through the roof - the grid already has trouble keeping up. Plus, I don't really buy that this will be more environmentally friendly. Really, any source of energy scaled up big-time can damage the environment - it's better to have multiple sources. And is this going to make housing even more expensive to design and build?

On the other hand, and this is the only big positive I can think of, that does mean less chance of explosion. I was in a gas stove-related fire once. Someone five floors below me hired a non-licensed plumber to hook up a new stove, and something went wrong. It was scary. Really big fire, they had two streets filled with fire trucks putting it out. All of us in that building are lucky that it only caught fire and didn't blow up. I still lose my mind if I smell something burning and can't figure out the source. Could live without that worry for sure. Although electric fires can be pretty bad too...

Old 01-30-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Interesting. Not sure what to think about that. On one hand, if this happens, it will drive the demand for electricity through the roof - the grid already has trouble keeping up. Plus, I don't really buy that this will be more environmentally friendly. Really, any source of energy scaled up big-time can damage the environment - it's better to have multiple sources. And is this going to make housing even more expensive to design and build?

On the other hand, and this is the only big positive I can think of, that does mean less chance of explosion. I was in a gas stove-related fire once. Someone five floors below me hired a non-licensed plumber to hook up a new stove, and something went wrong. It was scary. Really big fire, they had two streets filled with fire trucks putting it out. All of us in that building are lucky that it only caught fire and didn't blow up. I still lose my mind if I smell something burning and can't figure out the source. Could live without that worry for sure. Although electric fires can be pretty bad too...

In regards to demand, since this is about new construction rather than shutting off gas connections to existing buildings, the demand uptake is going to be pretty slow given how the vast majority of NYC isn't bulldozed and rebuilt every year.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:50 AM

25,718 posts, read 39,075,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In regards to demand, since this is about new construction rather than shutting off gas connections to existing buildings, the demand uptake is going to be pretty slow given how the vast majority of NYC isn't bulldozed and rebuilt every year.
Every building has a shelf-life so it will be a slow process. But virtually nobody will build new with gas kitchens going forward unless its a 1 -3 family house.

This really makes you wonder if electric stoves are so good why don't restaurants have them

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-30-2021, 11:07 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,066,175 times
Wacko Cuomo killed the Constitution Pipeline, which would have alleviated the shortage of NG in Westchester and other parts of downstate. He also killed Indian Point 2 and Indian Point 3 will shut down by summer. His daddy, Mario, destroyed the Long Island Lighting Company over its Shoreham Nuclear plant. Now Long Island gets a lot of its power supply through the Neptune Transmission Line, which connects LIPA to the PJM in New Jersey. 1/3 of the power in the PJM is still generated with coal.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:52 PM

4,295 posts, read 3,477,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casalduch View Post
As a person who knows Europe well and who loves to cook, electric cooking BLOWS! NO WAY is it comparable to gas stove. I am also familiar with induction and sorry, but you simply cannot make certain dishes (such as paella) on induction or electric and expect quality. That's just an example, but I have many others.
Separate from the gas ban, we've been planning on making the jump to induction cooking with our upcoming renovation. Most of the stuff I've read about induction cooking has been pretty positive, and some of the limitations (wok cooking, making paella, etc.) can be done with more flat-bottomed woks that were designed for induction. What are some of the other big issues that you have with induction?

Old 01-30-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Wacko Cuomo killed the Constitution Pipeline, which would have alleviated the shortage of NG in Westchester and other parts of downstate. He also killed Indian Point 2 and Indian Point 3 will shut down by summer. His daddy, Mario, destroyed the Long Island Lighting Company over its Shoreham Nuclear plant. Now Long Island gets a lot of its power supply through the Neptune Transmission Line, which connects LIPA to the PJM in New Jersey. 1/3 of the power in the PJM is still generated with coal.

Don't have a problem with shutting down the Constitution Pipeline which on balance I think isn't really that big of an issue nor would it have been much of a boon. Shutting down Indian Point is a great idea--the bad part of it was not having gotten the gears turning for a variety of feasible replacements.

The worst thing about Shoreham is that it was cancelled essentially after completion which meant a huge amount of resources had been sunk in before it was cancelled. Certainly it would have been far better to have cancelled much earlier in its development cycle than much later, though I think the best thing would have been to proceed with it. The electric transmission infrastructure was and is still there and has been pretty useful. I wonder what's happened or what is happening with the deep water port proposal.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:44 PM

91 posts, read 92,552 times
Gas stoves will become the new 212 area code luxury...

Old 01-30-2021, 07:38 PM

18,866 posts, read 12,063,241 times
You go Asia or Europe, large % of traditional apts uses propane for gas water heat because there is no room for large water tanks. People get propane tanks delivered to their apt or they are changed by the gas companies. It is cheaper than methane gas we use and safer.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:32 PM

630 posts, read 173,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Separate from the gas ban, we've been planning on making the jump to induction cooking with our upcoming renovation. Most of the stuff I've read about induction cooking has been pretty positive, and some of the limitations (wok cooking, making paella, etc.) can be done with more flat-bottomed woks that were designed for induction. What are some of the other big issues that you have with induction?
I have used induction numerous times at friends houses, and it just like electric once you get going. Nothing beats a gas flame, though. I do not really understand why it ever became a thing, really. Nothing negative to say.

You can buy a self contained wok, with the heat element built in. Not too expensive, and teflon no stick.
They work pretty well, just plug it in outside, or inside near the hood vent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: