Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 10:27 PM

62 posts, read 77,606 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to get my high school transcript for the past three months. The high school I attended closed down years ago, however, there is a new school at the location. I contacted their main number and they have an automated message stating that I can request my transcript from them. I have requested my transcript multiple times and sent a $5 money order four times. Every time I call all I get is an automated message. Does anyone know where else I can get a copy of my transcript? I would go down to the school, but I work during the hours they are open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 10:34 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar.munoz820 View Post
I have been trying to get my high school transcript for the past three months. The high school I attended closed down years ago, however, there is a new school at the location. I contacted their main number and they have an automated message stating that I can request my transcript from them. I have requested my transcript multiple times and sent a $5 money order four times. Every time I call all I get is an automated message. Does anyone know where else I can get a copy of my transcript? I would go down to the school, but I work during the hours they are open.
Is this a public or private high school.

State law mandates school records be kept, so they are somewhere. You just need to light a fire under someone's behind to have them pulled, copied, certified (if required) and sent.

Were all these money orders cashed?

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learning...nd-transcripts

https://online.suny.edu/covid19/obta...ls-are-closed/

Keep in mind due to covid-19 schools like offices either shut down totally or are often working with minimal staffing.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:17 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Try these contacts:

https://insideschools.org/insidetools/hs-transcripts

Old 02-20-2021, 02:29 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
I didn’t know that state law required high school transcripts to be kept. For how long? Could I get my mother’s transcript from the 1940s? I wouldn’t think they would have records going back that far especially if the school had closed. I never even had my high school transcript from the 1970s, just the individual report cards. I was a late bloomer in school, graduated in the bottom half of my high school class but at the top of my college class. Not sure I would want to see my HS transcript lol.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I didn’t know that state law required high school transcripts to be kept. For how long? Could I get my mother’s transcript from the 1940s? I wouldn’t think they would have records going back that far especially if the school had closed. I never even had my high school transcript from the 1970s, just the individual report cards. I was a late bloomer in school, graduated in the bottom half of my high school class but at the top of my college class. Not sure I would want to see my HS transcript lol.

09/05/2018
Education Law § 5002(2)(a) requires that “every school licensed pursuant to this article shall maintain adequate and accurate records “for seven years” at its principal place of business within this state . . . in a manner and form prescribed by the commissioner and shall be made available to the department . . . upon request.”

Education Law § 5002(2)(d) provides that student permanent records shall be maintained for twenty years.

Requirements for the Organization of Student Records Provided to the Department | Adult Career and Continuing Education Services | NYS Education Department

Education records are only accessible to student in question. So even if your mother's high school (or some where in NYS) still had her records only she could request copies.

Transcripts are kept for definite periods for many reasons but one of them is for those who attend higher education, post graduate education, want to join military, background checks.. .Any purpose that requires legit high school records.

People who didn't attend college right after high school, but want to do so ten or whatever years later will need an official copy of their HS transcript as part of application process.

Same for colleges, medical schools, nursing schools, etc... any sort of higher education for professional or whatever degree/licensing.

If a RN with only an AAS degree wants to begin a BSN or graduate level nursing program she or he will need proof they graduated from a nursing program usually via certified transcripts.

In case you're wondering no, the copy if your high school, college or whatever transcripts were given while in school don't count for these purposes. Places want an "official" copy with a seal from registrar or someone in authority that proves the thing is legit. It's like birth and death certificates. There are copies without a seal, others with. The latter is the official document that is wanted as valid legal proof.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:56 AM

P.S.

As noted above being legal documents even if a school, college, place of higher learning closes, by law they must transfer records somewhere, and let the public know.

Requests for college or high school records for people who graduated 20 or 30 years ago is not that uncommon. Good number of employers do so in order to verify what is on a employment application or resume.

https://www.askamanager.org/2014/01/...years-ago.html

And stuff like this is why.....

https://www.phonydiploma.com/US-High...the-1970s.aspx

Old 02-20-2021, 06:12 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,868,675 times
All NYC public high schools have been doing fully remote learning since mid-November, so it's likely no one will physically be in the school to respond to your message until high schools open up again at a later date.

I would try and find a staff directory online and email either the attendance coordinator (if the schools has one) or one of the secretaries.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:19 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Have your paid representatives work for you. Contact your City Council Member and the Mayor's Office. Bombard them with emails, online messages, and phone calls. Get the names of the people with whom you speak. Send proof that they cashed the money order.

Contact 7 on your side or similar online help conduits.

Make a loud noise, and not a joyous noise, till someone hears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City