Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 11:40 AM

8,902 posts, read 4,689,295 times

Advertisements

Why Some Manhattan Seniors Have Had A Better Shot at Getting the Vaccine Than Their Peers

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Some senior centers in Upper Manhattan have access to a special vaccine scheduling website to get seniors vaccines at the Washington Heights Armory

Senior centers elsewhere in the city are struggling to make appointments for their members

One expert says that this scheduling website should be a model for other large hospitals that are offering the vaccine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 01:01 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,836,839 times
I finally got an appointment for Saturday...Lower East Side.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,602,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I finally got an appointment for Saturday...Lower East Side.
Gouverner's?

Old 02-04-2021, 02:23 PM

4,726 posts, read 6,409,776 times
I was able to get an appointment at the Javits Center...for April. They did have earlier ones, but I figured I would just aim for the last day available. There were lots of times open that day. I went online around 9 p.m. and also saw dates in Westchester County and Stony Brook.

Here's the site. The good thing is, you can see at a glance if there are appointments available at the NYS site nearest you. You get the appointment, then you put all your info in:

https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov

Last edited by macnyc2003; 02-04-2021 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Gouverner's?
No, a seems-like-permanently closed school called Marta Valle High School on Stanton Street. It's a schlepp for me but good weather is predicted and most of the slushy slop is gone.

I had to revisit the subway map because it has been nearly a year since I was on one. I had even forgotten where I change from the Q to the F (at 63rd,) even though I had made that change a million times. I will double mask for the ride.

Watch, next week they will get vaccines at Metropolitan Hospital just a few blocks North.

But "a bird in the hand" and all that.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Senior centers elsewhere in the city are struggling to make appointments for their members
I belong to THREE senior centers and none was of any use in my getting an appointment.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:53 AM

5,567 posts, read 2,527,848 times
Apparently there's plenty of open time slots left for the Yankee stadium location. However you have to be at Bronx residence and sign up ahead of time. I'll share and keep my space open for others. I'll be laughing it up with Satan before I get the vaccine.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:35 AM

^^^^^
One disadvantage of being a kid...there aren't many.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:51 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
If you are a patient of one of the major health systems, make sure you are registered with their online accounts and they will text you when they have an available appointment for you. This may take a long time though.

Other option is as others have said keep going on those sites and refreshing the page.
THIS worked for us! - The County website and phone lines were a mis-managed joke. One could not even sign-on or phone before a specific time -- Then, less than a minute later, the website reported "None available" and the phone lines were steadily busy. Several people experienced the same thing. We generally concluded that the first batch of vaccines went to 'friends and relatives.'

Within two weeks, the local hospital system had vaccines available. All one had to do was contact their own Doctor's office and schedule an appointment (and, it appears, be older than 65). The process ran very smoothly -- with appointments, not more than about 10-minutes wait time. Everyone was then scheduled for the second shot, which I have no doubt will be handled in an equally professional manner.

I've heard that Publix and Walgreens will soon be facilitating vaccines. We've always gotten our regular flu shots there, so I suspect they will also run smoothly (I suspect they've first got to resolve the storage issues.

The fewer bureaucratic levels between the vaccine producers and arms, the better. There are some things the government seems to do quite well on a broad scale. But, the delivery of direct services is generally not one of them. The private sector will do a much more efficient job.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:38 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Within two weeks, the local hospital system had vaccines available. All one had to do was contact their own Doctor's office and schedule an appointment (and, it appears, be older than 65). The process ran very smoothly -- with appointments, not more than about 10-minutes wait time. Everyone was then scheduled for the second shot, which I have no doubt will be handled in an equally professional manner.

I've heard that Publix and Walgreens will soon be facilitating vaccines. We've always gotten our regular flu shots there, so I suspect they will also run smoothly (I suspect they've first got to resolve the storage issues.
No Publix in NYC but I did read/hear somewhere that CVS will also be administering vaccines soon.

I also think I heard/read that as of February 15th, people who have pre-existing conditions between ages 18-64 will be eligible for vaccination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City