Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 01:59 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upakXxQxYo

It's funny how there are a lot of videos on 432 Park but I don't see one form a resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 04:46 AM

5,682 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upakXxQxYo

It's funny how there are a lot of videos on 432 Park but I don't see one form a resident
Sure because the rich have nothing better to do than take videos of their home and place them online....

Old 02-10-2021, 08:58 AM

644 posts, read 307,377 times
Not surprised... had to do some work in a residential tower - not this tall, but halfway there - and it was nothing like a normal apartment building. All kinds of wacky problems that a regular building doesn't get. The ventilation is mostly mechanical cause you can't really open the windows, half the neighbors don't live there cause it's their second or third home, and good luck if the elevators are down. These towers make interesting offices, but they're really not made to be homes.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:03 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I was hanging at with a friend of mine in NJ. This was at a club he belongs to. There were other members there. One of them was in construction and worked on 432 Park. He said that it failed it's wind load testing. So one day don't be surprised if you hear that this building has laid itself out on a 57th street.

There is such a think as too tall and too thin. And it is now not the tallest, thinnest building on 57th.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:35 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
One of them was in construction and worked on 432 Park. He said that it failed it's wind load testing. So one day don't be surprised if you hear that this building has laid itself out on a 57th street.

There is such a think as too tall and too thin. And it is now not the tallest, thinnest building on 57th.
Oh, boy. I don't wish for it to collapse at all but if it does, I hope it collapses pancake style (I think that's what they call it, kind of like how the towers fell) with the floors collapsing on top of each other while still remaining vertical. That way, it causes the least amount of damage. I'm concerned because my bldg is only a few blocks away. If that thing collapses horizontally...oh, no.

I hope your friend is wrong because how could it have gotten permission if it failed a wind load test?

Old 02-10-2021, 03:03 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
I was hanging at with a friend of mine in NJ. This was at a club he belongs to. There were other members there. One of them was in construction and worked on 432 Park. He said that it failed it's wind load testing. So one day don't be surprised if you hear that this building has laid itself out on a 57th street.

This sounds like a tall tale. *pun intended*

As originally designed minus mechanical space the building was going to be questionably stable. Part of the reason the developers got away with so much height extension was the repeating use of mechanical space allows wind to pass through the building and reduce load forces against any one side. The initial plans may be what this friend is referencing.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:11 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
If a part of the building broke off it would kill a lot of people below and maybe fall on other buildings causing collapses

Old 02-10-2021, 04:24 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Yeah. Sounds fishy to me. Aren't there strict building codes that have to be met & pass proper inspection.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:32 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I have no way to confirm it. We were just sitting around a table gabbing. I don't personally know the guy in question. My friend knows him from the club. This was now a few years back. Just random scuttlebutt, so take it for what it's worth.

I really hope what he's saying can't be true because of code enforcement. But how good is code enforcement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post

As originally designed minus mechanical space the building was going to be questionably stable. Part of the reason the developers got away with so much height extension was the repeating use of mechanical space allows wind to pass through the building and reduce load forces against any one side. The initial plans may be what this friend is referencing.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,458 times
Quote:
I have no way to confirm it. We were just sitting around a table gabbing. I don't personally know the guy in question. My friend knows him from the club. This was now a few years back. Just random scuttlebutt, so take it for what it's worth.

I really hope what he's saying can't be true because of code enforcement. But how good is code enforcement?
This reminds me of the Citicorp building on 53rd St that's built on stilts. A co-worker was the daughter of the architect who designed it or worked on it (we worked across the street), I forget exactly, but apparently it was not built for certain winds, as it stands on stilts. So they designed this spherical thing called a tuned mass damper to keep it from blowing over. The problem is apparently if the power goes out it stops working and the power is likely to go out in a hurricane, so they had to come up with an evacuation plan for like 10 city blocks and bolster the stilts the building was built on because St. Peter's wouldn't let them tear down the church, so they had to build around it.

I wonder how a tuned mass damper would do at 432 Park Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City