Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 08:08 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Even if they offered a FOB dont you still have to hold the FOB out to use it?
Yes but would be a different motion. If you've used OMNY you know you have to hold the card low to make it flat and it's somewhat awkward and you end up have to put the whole card on the reader and then touching the reader to pick up the card with your fingernails. I'd rather not have to touch anything on the subway if I can avoid it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 08:24 AM

1,486 posts, read 988,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yes but would be a different motion. If you've used OMNY you know you have to hold the card low to make it flat and it's somewhat awkward and you end up have to put the whole card on the reader and then touching the reader to pick up the card with your fingernails. I'd rather not have to touch anything on the subway if I can avoid it
Not for me.
I dont even take my card out my wallet. I just tap the whole wallet on the reader or tap the phone on the reader. Sometimes I don't even take the phone or wallet out my jacket pocket and just tap the whole pocket. I never had to take the card out the wallet and let it lay it bare assed on the reader. Hell, ive even see women put their whole bag on the reader and it accepts the payment.

If you are experiencing this with a single card, maybe its time for a new one.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:36 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
If you are experiencing this with a single card, maybe its time for a new one.
could be

Old 02-11-2021, 11:29 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,115 times
Quote:
I hate having to hold out a credit card to use OMNY, and a card with an RFID chip is an awkward form factor because you have to lay it flat on the reader. Is there another option available like some sort of FOB?
You can use Apple Pay or Google Pay on your phone, don't even need to actually touch the reader, just hover over it and it works.

BTW, I've been noticing that they seem to have widened the scope of bus to subway (and probably vice versa) transfers, seemed like if you took the subway one way and the bus back within the two hours you would be charged both ways but lately when I do that the bus back is a transfer and I'm not charged. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:36 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Have never had to touch OMNY screen. Just hold whatever CC am using close enough for chip to be read, then wait for signal flash from red to green.

First few times had to have things jusssssssst right; but now know the form it's bang, zoom, boom!

Old 02-12-2021, 02:33 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,363,504 times
Quote:
Have you considered asking your credit card holder for a new card? I just put mine near to the OMnY reader and it is usually enough to go through.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:49 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,746 times
Quote:
Is there another option available like some sort of FOB?
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
You can use Apple Pay or Google Pay on your phone, don't even need to actually touch the reader, just hover over it and it works.

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: