Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 07:12 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCorsair View Post
We are seeing the same factors that led to the Rotten Apple of the 70's and 80's. This time around, people are leaving the city in droves as it simply isn't cost-effective to live there when everything is closed due to the 'vid. Couple that with horrible municipal mismanagement, a liberal approach to crime and a dopey mayor who isn't fit to run a kool-aid stand and you get the results you are seeing today.

The more troubling news is that much of Wall Street and many of the uber-rich who funded NYC's municipal coffers will not be returning to the city post-pandemic. The city is facing an ever-growing $15 billion deficit and the mayor is more concerned with playing petty politics than he is in trying to avoid the financial iceberg he has steered the city directly into the path of. Someone needs to force the idiot to watch videos on what life is like in Liberia, then send him there on a one-way ticket.

My wife and I were married in NYC and used to travel there every year for a week. With the current administration running the city into the ground, I can't even predict when a return to NYC will be on our radar. Mexico seems like a safer destination right now, for the love of god.
I fully agree. We need a return to pro-active policing and cash bail. We need an end to lockdowns. When the law-abiding are forbidden to go about their business the thugs will rule. No question about that.

The DeBlasio (self-corrects in "Word" to "Delusional" which is not a bad description) wants to allow people they see as disadvantaged to have a chance. They see these people as being the victims of "mass incarceration." In recent years you'd have to live under a rock not to hear about "mass incarceration", systemic racism and the like. While this is important, having a functioning city should take precedence to political and sociological dreams.

In a similar visionary but impractical vein is so-called "vision zero" under which the City administration had taken the following actions, which I wonder if they are designed to deliberately create traffic jams and make motorists' lives miserable?
  1. Shrinking five-lane avenues, such as 9th Avenue in NYC (with happens to lead to a major tunnel) to effectively two lanes when the bike lane and the bus lane aren't counted;
  2. Traffic lights which restrict left turns from and to one-way streets;
  3. Two bus lanes, 24/7, on Madison Avenue, creating middle-of-the-night traffic jams;
  4. Blanket 25 mph speed limits;
  5. Massive Citibike racks taking up a lane of traffic for almost the length of a block;
  6. Traffic flow constriction on Third Avenue leading north to Queensboro Bridge;
  7. Traffic flow constriction on Second Avenue leading to Queens Midtown Tunnel; and
  8. The worst, concrete blocks reducing 43rd Street between Third and Lexington Avenues to one lane on the south side of the street for half the block, and the north side of the street for the other half?
Is there some mad genius planning, or political correctness at work? Are they creating the "congestion" to allow for the "congestion pricing"?

This, and other wonders such as the plastic bag ban, place having a functioning, vital city under the pipe dreams of people undertaking a Fourth Grade civics project.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:14 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
Round up the junkies and other low lives who infest the streets and subway stations. Put them into forced labor and detox camps. Any whining, liberal lawyer who complains gets their license stripped and thrown in there for good measure as well. Also respect the 2nd amendment: enable private citizens to carry openly in NYC. Then actually back that decision up with judicial decisions that support the right to self defense. Finally, push for crime victims' rights - tie the criminal in a chair and give the victim's family a baseball bat and 5 minutes alone with them in a room.
I am a liberal and a lawyer but I don't whine. How did I hurt you?
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City