Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 10:32 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
A free month lowers the effective rent but it does not lower the base rent for stabilization purposes
Exactly. I moved into an apartment in 2010. I got a free month and a free gym membership in the building due to the economy still recovering. Then when the lease was up. It was raised based upon the original rent. No more free month or free gym membership on the renewal.
I did try to negotiate. But they said the current housing market didn't warrant any incentives any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 11:44 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
With stabilized apartments they used to be able to drop the rent in tough times .. then if things got better they can raise it the following year not only back to what it was lowered from but plus any stabization board increases for that year .

New laws say once lowered you can not raise it back ..all you get is the stabilized increase and that’s it

Old 02-20-2021, 12:28 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
What that study showed is something myself and others have said for ages; NYC needs tons of "low income" housing. More importantly those people are looking for one or two bedroom apartments that are cheap, not just studios.

Those days are gone. Land and labor is too expensive everywhere in NYC to profitably build apartments for the middle-class, so forget about low income units. I grew up in Kensington, Brooklyn on a side street near Ocean Parkway. My parents owned a 2-family home but the neighborhood was mostly apartment buildings. In the 1960s many nice new 6-story elevator buildings for middle-class renters went up, mostly along Ocean Parkway. These were nice buildings with proper lobbies, many even had garages. The economics to construct such buildings doesn't exist today. It only pays for a developer to put up buildings for the upper middle class or the wealthy.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:53 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Some buildings offering 4 months free rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City