Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 11:56 AM

8,945 posts, read 4,815,047 times

Advertisements

Good news. Hope it works out for them.

https://www.amny.com/business/black-...ings-new-jobs/

History was made in the Morrisania section of the Bronx on Feb. 20 with the grand opening of the borough’s first Black-owned bodega at 231 East 167th St.

Former record label executive Alize (Lenny) Jones opened ‘Black Bodega’ with his partners, brother Robert Forbes and childhood friend Rusheed Nash because they were tired of the economic disparities in their community which was hit hard by COVID-19.

While it was scary to open a new business during a pandemic, the Bronx natives knew that they had to give back to the neighborhood they grew up in and bring jobs to a community that has one of the highest unemployment rates in New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 02:12 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,533,268 times
Cultural Appropriation

Old 02-22-2021, 02:38 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,000,299 times
Funny and odd at the same time.

Growing up in the BX I remember all these Bodegas were owned by Hispanics. Then all of a sudden the store stayed the same the music stayed the same but the people behind the counter changed to Arabs or middle eastern and no one barely noticed.

So now we have a Black owned Bodega in an decent strip. I hope they do well and bring more positive to that area, 1 year from now I want to see them do well enough to expand to a barber shop or laundromat.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:42 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,637,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

Growing up in the BX I remember all these Bodegas were owned by Hispanics. Then all of a sudden the store stayed the same the music stayed the same but the people behind the counter changed to Arabs or middle eastern and no one barely noticed.

So now we have a Black owned Bodega in an decent strip. I hope they do well and bring more positive to that area, 1 year from now I want to see them do well enough to expand to a barber shop or laundromat.
Depends on the neighborhood

Hispanic neighborhoods have plenty of Mexican and Dominican bodegas

Old 02-22-2021, 03:11 PM

bo·de·ga
/bōˈdāɡə/
The name bodega originates from the Spanish word, which can mean “storeroom,” “wine cellar,” or “grocery store,” because these shops first started popping up in the 1940s and '50s in Hispanic communities.

Like I said, Cultural Appropriation. When do the Protests begin?

Old 02-22-2021, 05:09 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,637,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
bo·de·ga
/bōˈdāɡə/
The name bodega originates from the Spanish word, which can mean “storeroom,” “wine cellar,” or “grocery store,” because these shops first started popping up in the 1940s and '50s in Hispanic communities.

Like I said, Cultural Appropriation. When do the Protests begin?
That's like saying Fat Joe and Big Pun shouldn't rap because Black people did it first

Old 02-22-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That's like saying Fat Joe and Big Pun shouldn't rap because Black people did it first
I honestly dont care. But im just pointing out more liberal hypocrisy.

When a white person does anything at all asian inspired or African inspired like maybe clothing or hair, liberal yell about cultural appropriation.

But this story? Its fine.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:29 PM

34,221 posts, read 47,546,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I honestly dont care. But im just pointing out more liberal hypocrisy.

When a white person does anything at all asian inspired or African inspired like maybe clothing or hair, liberal yell about cultural appropriation.

But this story? Its fine.
Do you want Kumbaya or not?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-22-2021, 09:00 PM

565 posts, read 365,145 times
Note to self: If I ever live in a neighborhood with a black bodega, quit on life.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:14 AM

34,221 posts, read 47,546,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

I noticed it too

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City