Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 11:12 AM

1,486 posts, read 988,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Because people want to get out of their house.

Also, average person probably has a 55 inch TV, nothing close to theater size. Again though, it's always been about getting out of the house and seeing the movie in a communal experience perhaps.
I guess average person wants that outside experience. Ill stick to my 4K 80" with 7.2.4 Atoms system in the comfort of my home .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I don't speak for everyone, and the business of movie theaters may thrive again, but me personally, I have very little interest in leaving my house for entertainment that is not either dining out or an outdoors activity.

The movie experience is far better at home. Interruptions? That's the name of the game now in movie theaters. There's no respect for anyone around you. None. My last movie theater experience that I recall, we had to move because of some piece of crap behind us eating and talking on his phone. Groups of young people talking the whole time are a given nowadays. In general I'm just not amenable to doing things with random people, so suffering their poor behavior when I could've just stayed home is not going to be my first choice.

Screw that. I have a 70" TV (we're planning to go 80+ as soon as we move), sound system, and can make whatever food or drink I want without having to leave my home. As an added bonus, I can wear my pajamas and engage in adult activities as soon as the credits roll (or even during the movie!)

I really can't think of any movie that would convince my wife and I to leave our house to see it.

MAYBE, MAYBE, some special cinema experience like Seventh mentioned, but that's about it and that's very, very rare for us.
Can confirm!

I dont have to put up with babies crying in a R rated movie
i dont have to put up with people taking
I dont have to make someone get up out of my purchased seat when i arrive
I dont have to walk into a space with sticky floors or popcorn all over the seats
I dont have to miss something when females in the same row as me decides to drink big ass fountain drinks then take multiple bathroom breaks in a 2 hour sitting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 11:15 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,544,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm going to put some backlighting behind my TV to enhance the experience.
I'm getting a bluetooth soundbar I can use for my TV and my desktop.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:17 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Well, I guess if I had a 70" TV with surround sound I might be more inclined to stay home , but I love science fiction, MCU movies and I need to see those on a BIG screen. Besides, movie theaters are fancy now! The last time I went, I had plush red leather chair that tilted back with a foot rest!
They have stepped up their game, but still. I've actually read articles directly tying the improvements in movie theater comfort to the fact that they know it's getting harder for them to pull people out of their homes.

My monster TV was only $600 on sale at Costco. If we went to the theater instead of home for all of the movies we watch, we'd be spending way, way more than $600 a year on movies.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-23-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I'm going to put some backlighting behind my TV to enhance the experience.
Send me a pic of that when you do it. That's an awesome idea.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-23-2021, 11:21 AM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Send me a pic of that when you do it. That's an awesome idea.
Ok

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-23-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Ok
Disregard. I just ordered a kit on Amazon! Thanks for costing me $15.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:42 AM

2,439 posts, read 1,216,282 times
Yay for movie goers I guess. I'm in no mood to give Hollywood who actually hates the fact that I exist my money.

Now do Racetracks, open the Big A already, plenty of places to social distance there.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:44 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,544,611 times
Quote:
They have stepped up their game, but still. I've actually read articles directly tying the improvements in movie theater comfort to the fact that they know it's getting harder for them to pull people out of their homes.

My monster TV was only $600 on sale at Costco. If we went to the theater instead of home for all of the movies we watch, we'd be spending way, way more than $600 a year on movies.
Very true. It's more of a space issue for me than cost. But the sound quality drives me nuts, so I need to fix that.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:05 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Disregard. I just ordered a kit on Amazon! Thanks for costing me $15.
Bwahahaha

I have 65" 4K. Hooked up to my soundsystem with subwoofer. Can't skip on entertainment for the house.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-23-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Very true. It's more of a space issue for me than cost. But the sound quality drives me nuts, so I need to fix that.
Acoustics in typical homes/apartments are terrible. Definitely get a sound bar at least. I plan to upgrade mine when we move. My current system is used from a friend. Very good, but the last few years have improved sound products a lot.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: