Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 09:32 AM

12,742 posts, read 8,182,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Homeless sleeping in bank atm areas all down court street to this day
Begging for $ while I wait in line for Trader Joe’s

There are homeless there trust me

Just letting the OP know
That's technically Brooklyn Heights, but really more like Downtown Brooklyn in my mind, but ok, sure, and yes, there are homeless around there. I don't go that far south to be honest, and stick along Montague St, and by Pierrepont St. You're not going to see homeless up by the Promenade or along the brownstone streets though. I mean it's NYC. There are homeless people everywhere, even on the Upper East Side. They like to stay in safe neighborhoods, not the hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 09:57 AM

948 posts, read 704,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacky View Post
Hi all, thanks for your responses. To clarify the positioning and backdrop of my question, it's not that I think property values in Brooklyn Heights are low -- I recognize that it's anything but that -- rather, I worry that the residential real estate market has leg down as we are still in the early innings of understanding the lasting ramifications of the pandemic on NYC. There are a number of other threads on city-data where people are debating this topic. In fact, it's exactly the reality that Brooklyn Heights had gentrified many decades ago that a lot of optimism is already priced in. Properties in that area (as well as Downtown Brooklyn) haven't budged much off the historic highs in 2017 despite a pretty meaningful influx of new residential construction in recent years.

Perhaps my concerns about valuations and scenario analysis are misplaced, and I welcome any feedback to the contrary.
Brooklyn Heights is my favorite neighborhood in the entire NYC area, and if I could afford a brownstone there I would absolutely do it. That said, it's impossible to time the real estate market, and nobody has a crystal ball on whether prices will fall further or begin to rebound. If you try to time it, you'll inevitably end up disappointed (I could see prices falling due to people/jobs leaving, or I could see them quickly rebounding in some post-vaccine boom, with equal probability).

Just know, that neighborhood will always be relatively in-demand due to proximity to lower Manhattan and the gorgeous housing stock. Even if it falls in the short-term, I'd imagine it would weather an storm better than most neighborhoods.

I've never lived there so can't comment on the other specific questions.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Brooklyn Heights is my favorite neighborhood in the entire NYC area, and if I could afford a brownstone there I would absolutely do it. That said, it's impossible to time the real estate market, and nobody has a crystal ball on whether prices will fall further or begin to rebound. If you try to time it, you'll inevitably end up disappointed (I could see prices falling due to people/jobs leaving, or I could see them quickly rebounding in some post-vaccine boom, with equal probability).

Just know, that neighborhood will always be relatively in-demand due to proximity to lower Manhattan and the gorgeous housing stock. Even if it falls in the short-term, I'd imagine it would weather an storm better than most neighborhoods.

I've never lived there so can't comment on the other specific questions.
Most of the housing stock is landmarked, so it will always be in high demand unless the location is near the BQE or something, but even there, prices do well.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:17 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,920,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Homeless sleeping in bank atm areas all down court street to this day
Begging for $ while I wait in line for Trader Joe’s

There are homeless there trust me

Just letting the OP know
But Court St. is a commercial stretch. Are there homeless on the doorsteps of anyone's brownstones?

Old 02-24-2021, 01:17 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,123,905 times
Absolutely beautiful area, still one of NYC's finest neighborhoods filled with beautiful historic homes. I don't know where you are moving from, but if you intended on keeping a car in Brooklyn Heights you need to be aware of a few things. On-street parking is a nightmare, the streets have peculiar alternate side parking regulations and parking spaces are of course very limited. So if you're bringing a car with you look into what garages in the area charge.

BH is a low crime area except for a disturbingly high number of robberies in 2020 - https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-us-084pct.pdf

FYI, parking regulations lookup - https://a841-dotvweb01.nyc.gov/Parki...alidation.aspx

Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2021, 01:41 PM

33,428 posts, read 46,858,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Absolutely beautiful area, still one of NYC's finest neighborhoods filled with beautiful historic homes. I don't know where you are moving from, but if you intended on keeping a car in Brooklyn Heights you need to be aware of a few things. On-street parking is a nightmare, the streets have peculiar alternate side parking regulations and parking spaces are of course very limited. So if you're bringing a car with you look into what garages in the area charge.

BH is a low crime area except for a disturbingly high number of robberies in 2020 - https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-us-084pct.pdf

FYI, parking regulations lookup - https://a841-dotvweb01.nyc.gov/Parki...alidation.aspx

Good Luck!
84th Precinct covers a couple of neighborhoods, not just Brooklyn Heights. The majority of the crime in the 84th happens in Downtown Brooklyn and any NYCHA that the 84th covers (Farragut definitely, not sure about Fort Greene).

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-24-2021, 04:02 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,595,860 times
We were in Brooklyn Heights 2 weeks ago, the homeless situation is greatly exaggerated. Yeah there's homeless there because it's NYC. There's also plenty of families taking walks on the promenade with their kids.

It's a great neighborhood, though rather boring if you're into going out. Reason why I moved away from the area in 2014.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:23 PM

11,567 posts, read 12,585,899 times
BH has been one of the most desirable neighborhoods in NYC since the colonial days of the 17th-18th centuries. If NYC price values increase then BH values will increase. If there is a downturn in RE, then BH should hold it's own. Even during the nasty 70s, Montague Street had high-end restaurants. Court Street never got that bad because of all of the high-end legal offices and judges working in the area, but when the courts were closed on the weekend, it could get a little dicey. I don't consider that part of BH. Since that time, there's been a lot of new construction and fancy French people, even though some have left.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
BH has been one of the most desirable neighborhoods in NYC since the colonial days of the 17th-18th centuries. If NYC price values increase then BH values will increase. If there is a downturn in RE, then BH should hold it's own. Even during the nasty 70s, Montague Street had high-end restaurants. Court Street never got that bad because of all of the high-end legal offices and judges working in the area, but when the courts were closed on the weekend, it could get a little dicey. I don't consider that part of BH. Since that time, there's been a lot of new construction and fancy French people, even though some have left.
I totally agree. That area is really Downtown Brooklyn, and not part of the Brooklyn Heights I think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
We were in Brooklyn Heights 2 weeks ago, the homeless situation is greatly exaggerated. Yeah there's homeless there because it's NYC. There's also plenty of families taking walks on the promenade with their kids.

It's a great neighborhood, though rather boring if you're into going out. Reason why I moved away from the area in 2014.
It's more family-oriented and quiet. It's a leafy bedroom community to be honest, with easy access to Manhattan. Think Riverdale, but with subway access and less suburban feeling.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:33 PM

31,657 posts, read 26,531,693 times
My favorite neighborhood, movie location and movie all wrapped into one!

Should have moved to BH back in day, it was expensive but no where near like things are now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UuVlfwAMDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGxOhy08N0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9t7PMToEoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLgV3ynglzg

They needed that big house on Cranberry street because as with all Italian families much of the family action takes place in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City