Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 AM

14 posts, read 76,108 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is being considered for a transfer to the Peck Slip Post Office located at 1 Peck Slip (between Chinatown and the Fin District?). Has anyone used this location or know what the area around it is like? We both know from experience that there's something about post offices that give crazy, angry, and violent people a big extra dose of all three, so I'd worry a lot less if I knew he wasn't going to be in a war zone... especially since he'd be coming from a small town in Georgia.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_mouse View Post
My boyfriend is being considered for a transfer to the Peck Slip Post Office located at 1 Peck Slip (between Chinatown and the Fin District?). Has anyone used this location or know what the area around it is like? We both know from experience that there's something about post offices that give crazy, angry, and violent people a big extra dose of all three, so I'd worry a lot less if I knew he wasn't going to be in a war zone... especially since he'd be coming from a small town in Georgia.

Thanks!
it's not going to be georgia, most of their PO business will be from businesses but there are some PJ's in the area, overall it shouldn't be bad from a NYC perspective

Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 PM

18 posts, read 57,659 times
The Peck Slip Station is located down the street from the South Street Seaport. The neighborhood is filled with tourists vacationing with family and friends. It has an open feeling as the workers are behind counters not cages as in other areas. I frequently used this Post Office and found it to be a friendly environment. Never did I feel unsafe, it is a far cry from a war zone.
Hope this gives you peace of mind.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,850 times
Smile Welcome to New York!

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_mouse View Post

Thanks!
My spouse was an employee of this branch for 38 years, later becoming a unit manager, until his retirement and he loved it. Not far from the South Street Seaport, that I have heard will be torned down for more expensive condominiums. We have spent glorious summer days by the Seaport watching live concerts. Very sorry to see it go. Your husband may need to adjust to the fast pace of the area, in due time, but I do not believe he will be in a war zone. Welcome to New York and good-luck.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 PM

14 posts, read 76,108 times
Thanks for your input everyone! Phew, it's a breath of fresh air to hear such overwhelmingly positive things about any part of the City. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he gets the position!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:11 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Not far from the South Street Seaport, that I have heard will be torned down for more expensive condominiums.
The Seaport is a designated Historic District and cannot be altered without special, limited permits based on compelling need (eg., unsafe structures). The developer still has not submitted plans to the Community Board, and (surprise!) there is already strong community opposition.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:41 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
The Seaport is a designated Historic District and cannot be altered without special, limited permits based on compelling need (eg., unsafe structures). The developer still has not submitted plans to the Community Board, and (surprise!) there is already strong community opposition.
the post office building is more than likely not included, there is nothing historic about it

Old 05-10-2008, 03:44 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,850 times
Thumbs up About South Street Seaport

Thanks so much for the information, Carbro. At least there still hope! I love to go to the Seaport when they have Latin nights, and watch the boats go by.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
the post office building is more than likely not included, there is nothing historic about it
As I read Rubies77's post, it sounded like she was predicting the tearing down of the seaport/Pier 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
. . . Not far from the South Street Seaport, that I have heard will be torned down for more expensive condominiums. We have spent glorious summer days by the Seaport watching live concerts. Very sorry to see it go. . . .
See what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City