Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times

Advertisements

All of Staten Island, Bayside, Howard Beach, Little Neck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 01:14 AM

565 posts, read 361,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol Malba and Whitestone are both targets because they are upper middle class areas, especially Malba. That area is very monied, so because of that, the thieves go looking. People like to keep up appearances there and show off their money. Reminds me a lot of Mill Basin and Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn to some extent with everyone showing off their latest European cars (Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc., with the occasional Maserati thrown in. lol) Lots of Mc Mansions going up in Malba too.
Yes, they are target areas but that wasn't always the case. The idea of breaking into someone's home in Whitestone, Malba or a Howard Beach prior to the early 2000s was unheard of. I grew up in Whitestone, so I know. Most of the criminal activity we had revolved around stealing cars, that's about it. But as the old Italians moved out and sold, mainland Chinese moved in and knocked the single family homes down and, like you say, built McMansions. So out moves the Italian who wouldn't think twice about blowing your brains out just even coming down his driveway...and in comes foreign born Chinese who wouldn't call the cops if you were standing in their god damn bedroom! Lol. The burglars now know this, thus the massive uptick in home invasions in this area. But it's still risky in Malba imo. Ya never know if you gonna hit that wrong house and end up in the water an hour later. Happened a couple of years ago actually. Cops found the body washed up a week later after homie thought he hit paydirt. Oh, he hit the dirt all right!!!

Old 03-09-2021, 09:07 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Yes, they are target areas but that wasn't always the case. The idea of breaking into someone's home in Whitestone, Malba or a Howard Beach prior to the early 2000s was unheard of. I grew up in Whitestone, so I know. Most of the criminal activity we had revolved around stealing cars, that's about it. But as the old Italians moved out and sold, mainland Chinese moved in and knocked the single family homes down and, like you say, built McMansions. So out moves the Italian who wouldn't think twice about blowing your brains out just even coming down his driveway...and in comes foreign born Chinese who wouldn't call the cops if you were standing in their god damn bedroom! Lol. The burglars now know this, thus the massive uptick in home invasions in this area. But it's still risky in Malba imo. Ya never know if you gonna hit that wrong house and end up in the water an hour later. Happened a couple of years ago actually. Cops found the body washed up a week later after homie thought he hit paydirt. Oh, he hit the dirt all right!!!
lol Yes, Malba still has plenty of Italians and some people that are flashy but may also live a flashy lifestyle if you know what I mean.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:27 PM

155 posts, read 121,040 times
The southern end of Pelham Gardens, specifically Astor Avenue east of Eastchester Road and Stillwell Avenue has some really nice homes and more of a suburban feel.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:48 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
The southern end of Pelham Gardens, specifically Astor Avenue east of Eastchester Road and Stillwell Avenue has some really nice homes and more of a suburban feel.
Yes, parts of Pelham Gardens is beautiful. Reminds me a little bit of Forest Hills Gardens actually.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:06 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
All of Staten Island, Bayside, Howard Beach, Little Neck
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6383...7i13312!8i6656

Staten Island has some urban neighborhoods (particularly the ones close to the ferry)

Old 01-02-2022, 05:51 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6383...7i13312!8i6656

Staten Island has some urban neighborhoods (particularly the ones close to the ferry)
Saint George, Tompkinsville areas are effed. Driving around Island this holiday season couldn't believe how much density housing has been shoved onto Richmond Terrance east of about Jersey Street towards ferry. Things continue looping around onto Bay Street going south towards Victory Blvd and onto Stapleton. Same thing on Victory Blvd going east from about Cebra Avenue on towards Bay Street.

Bad as things are now, *more* high density housing is coming to Richmond Terrace in Saint George, and along Bay Street from ferry area going out towards Rosebank.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:57 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Little Neck Bay

Old 01-02-2022, 05:59 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Mill Basin is flush with very large and ostentatious houses and $200K+ in cars in virtually every driveway on some blocks. There are break-ins but they are extremely rare because it's mostly Russians who are armed and/or have a few German Shepherds as pets. Same goes for Manhattan Beach.

Last edited by Esacni; 01-02-2022 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-02-2022, 06:40 PM

1,420 posts, read 724,856 times
Belle Harbor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City