Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:47 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
well, if crime has indeed decreased around the hub/stadium, and crime has increased in the north east bronx, it doesn't necessarily follow that the increase in crime in the north Bronx came from the south.

The 44th precinct is in the impact program so there will obviously be an initial decrease in crime....... The 47th, and the 49th ARE NOT included in the impact program so it might be relatively easier to commit crime in the north east than say around the stadium - with cops being everywhere as an obvious deterrent.
You got it. If you notice, the areas with Operation Impact have either stayed stable or crime has decreased. Just look at the 52nd. Used to be 1st or 2nd in total crimes and now crime is down 12%. Went from 23 murders 4 years ago to 13 last year. Same with the 46th, 44th, and 40th. Yet the 48th (E Tremont), 42nd (Morrisania), and 47th (Northeast Bronx) have huge gains in Homicides. They dont have the police presence that it's western and southern neighborhoods have.

Another example. If I recall the 43rd, 47th used to be on Operation Impact. Crime for those years were non-existant. Soundview had 3-4 murders, remove it and the 43rd and 47th are now 1-2 in total homicides!

If you remove it from 52, 46, 40, and 44 crime will spike.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to white people moving west because of Yankee stadium that is wrong. The west Bronx is still black/latino. No whites yet. Although maybe in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
White people definitely are on the 4 past 161st - they live in Woodlawn.

They're usually in the very first car since the exit at Woodlawn station is on the northernmost side of the station so they can get out quick and cross Bainbridge to catch the Bx16 or Bx34.
Plus I've seen more than a few FOB drunk Irishmen on my late night 4 train trips back up to the BX.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
White people definitely are on the 4 past 161st - they live in Woodlawn.

They're usually in the very first car since the exit at Woodlawn station is on the northernmost side of the station so they can get out quick and cross Bainbridge to catch the Bx16 or Bx34.
Ok yeah but from 161st to Bedford park there few in between.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Another example. If I recall the 43rd, 47th used to be on Operation Impact. Crime for those years were non-existant. Soundview had 3-4 murders, remove it and the 43rd and 47th are now 1-2 in total homicides!.......
so my area is #2 in homicides in the bronx. Great way to start the week ............... lol

Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
On a side note...I live next door to a parking lot and heard a noise..and when I looked out my window I could swear I saw a guy breaking into one of the cars. I called the cops, they were there in under 3 minutes,...we took a quick survey of the parking lot and it was just my eyes playing tricks on my coupled with the string winds making noise.

Nonetheless they were there in no time flat, professional, and courteous. They remembered me from the last time I called in (for the same reason, last summer)..which I laughed about. I hope they don't think I am crazy/bored....they said it was okay and better safe than sorry..I agreed...and went back to bed!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:06 AM

127 posts, read 547,843 times
LOL That's funny man. You should run for the congressional seat of your district. You got my vote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
On a side note...I live next door to a parking lot and heard a noise..and when I looked out my window I could swear I saw a guy breaking into one of the cars. I called the cops, they were there in under 3 minutes,...we took a quick survey of the parking lot and it was just my eyes playing tricks on my coupled with the string winds making noise.

Nonetheless they were there in no time flat, professional, and courteous. They remembered me from the last time I called in (for the same reason, last summer)..which I laughed about. I hope they don't think I am crazy/bored....they said it was okay and better safe than sorry..I agreed...and went back to bed!

Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
Default We the people should be Anger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I think it's great to see cops everywhere and I don't care how many people they stop and frisk or what color those people are. I don't know the numbers but if a higher percentage of the crime is coming from a certain neighborhood, why shouldn't there be more cops in that neighborhood and more people stopped and frisked in that neighborhood. If that neighborhood is predominately Black and Latino, then obviously the numbers will show it.There are always policeman/women around where I live, in the subways, on the corners, I think it's great that they are here.
I am a 50/F/B... and a recent VICTIM of a police stop and frisk.. I do not fit the profile of persons of interest for crimes in the community. So why was I made to get out my car? It is two weeks later and I am seeking a reason why?

The most troubling aspect of the ordeal was the manner in which this Young Hispanic ran up to my car. To me.... he looked like a Robber in my mind he was coming to car jack me, after all those possibilties flooded my mine, and if it was not or the grace of God, I did not swarm, might have been shot by that officer. A feel, like I might have been another Sean Bell, or Amadau...

I also learned that night that over 90% of people arrested in the 43rd pct BX stated "they where doing noting" eg.... walking down the street, sitting on their neighbors stoop, when stopped, questioned etc.....

And yes as A tax payer,,,, I a mad that my tax paying money is being used by police to haul in Three drunks, a man walking down the street and me....it is not worth spending all that money from the percent to the court on Non-Sense!

As a taxpayer, I am anger that my taxpaying dollar is being used to process people for processing a roach..... processing warrants for disorderly conduct through the court system just to get a credit for an arrest.

Yes, it is true, if you ask an officer Why, he will right you a ticket for Disorderly Conduct.....Now are you not you Violating my Freedom of Speech!

I thought that money was being used to hunt down rapist, burglars and the like....

Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM

556 posts, read 1,445,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseladyofnyc View Post

The most troubling aspect of the ordeal was the manner in which this Young Hispanic ran up to my car. To me.... he looked like a Robber in my mind he was coming to car jack me, after all those possibilties flooded my mine, and if it was not or the grace of God, I did not swarm, might have been shot by that officer. A feel, like I might have been another Sean Bell, or Amadau...
I think thats the most disturbing part, alot of times they look like thugs, can't even tell if they are a cop.

Feel bad for the person that stabs them before they identify themselves...

Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Even though, I agree, 90% of those frisked being minorities *seems* wrong, is that all there is to it? What percentage of those neighborhoods are made up of minorities... are "minorities" actually the majority? If the neighborhood is 30% white and 70% "minority", are the cops supposed to now check 100% of whites to make sure it's "fair?"

And those 90% who were arrested were ARRESTED. You don't get arrested for being a minority in the projects... you're arrested because you've broken the law. Don't break the law>don't get arrested. I'm not seeing the issue here. ??

edited to add, from city-data for the Bronx:

Races in Bronx:

• Hispanic (48.4%)
  • Black (35.6%)
  • American Indian (35.6%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (29.9%)
  • Other race (24.7%)
  • Two or more races (5.8%)
  • Asian Indian (1.1%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)

It looks like I wasn't far off. White, non-Hispanic citizens are only 30% of the Bronx population. Even if ALL of them were stopped and frisked, it would still look unfair against "minorities."

Last edited by proulxfamily; 03-27-2009 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 10:04 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I can tell you that my community (Woodstock, 40th precinct), has been going very strong in police presence...they just keep circling around in their vans/cars. They have definitely been far more proactive...unfortunately, being proactive is the best way to keep crime down...deter / prevent the crimes before they happen. NOT AFTER! Unfortunately there is no other way to maintain lower crimes rates at the moment, the city is working hard to be proactive..and it is working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City