Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 11:15 AM

1,034 posts, read 446,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I am the sworn enemy of both you and mathjak working on the plaintiff side only.

Who knew C-D had so many employment law related posters!

I was an admin for a very long time and then got thrown into paralegal work and now I'm a hybrid with all of that AND overall organizational initiatives and projects. I do a lot of organizing projects all day long and the actual legal work I do is generated from the West Coast so for me who is plugging away at spreadsheets and databases and working with the West Coast it just doesn't make any sense to need me to physically be in an office.

I honestly hope for anyone who has gotten the experience of WFH this past year that they continue to at least get an option of doing a hybrid model, if nothing else. This last year has proven that you can get stuff done at home and the whole business won't crater. It seems especially useful for days where you're not feeling well but could muster up the energy to open your laptop at home or bad weather days, instead of closing the office, WFH. I just don't see a reason anyone needs to be in an office 5 days a week.

Now if you just want to escape your spouse/partner and children and your house that's on you and I wish all those people well, but as a single woman living on my own I don't have that kind of constant interference to escape from and it's actually to everyone's benefit to give me space to concentrate on my structural work.
Despite what many claim, productivity has cratered amongst a certain subset of employees. Yes, the top has become. even more productive or has kept up but those that were barely productive in the office, are now more productive at home? Do you want to buy a bridge?

Furthermore, from an overall perspective, productivity has also taken a hit on certain days. Namely Mondays and Fridays. Before COVID some companies didn't really work Fridays anyway so that's fine but those companies that relied on a full 5 day week to get projects done are taking a hit.

Companies haven't cratered because the bottom tier of employees were dead weight to begin with. They never added much to the bottom line anyhow. However, the issue now is, whereas they were somewhat useful in the office to work on ad hoc projects , assist others, or be ause their manager liked to gawk at them, they're literally useless working from home.

If WFH is here to stay then you can expect a lot of people getting laid off over the coming years. Top performers will have an even easier time snagging positions while the bottom tier will have it even harder.

Last edited by Bklynball; 03-17-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 11:57 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Companies haven't cratered because the bottom tier of employees were dead weight to begin with. They never added much to the bottom line anyhow. However, the issue now is, whereas they were somewhat useful in the office to work on ad hoc projects , assist others, or be ause their manager liked to gawk at them, they're literally useless working from home.

If WFH is here to stay then you can expect a lot of people getting laid off over the coming years. Top performers will have an even easier time snagging positions while the bottom tier will have it even harder.
There is this unbelievably funny perception or rhetoric that somehow because someone is person that they provide some type of intangible moral support or boost team morale with their fabulous personality.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:15 PM

596 posts, read 252,937 times
I think wrong oO

Productivity measurements are done typically for Analyst or Associates. Top performers aka VPs, Managers don't get "productivity" weekly or monthly reports like that.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:31 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Whats not being considered here as far as productivity goes, those who are introverts and have to pretend and smile through their teeth to fit in with the office crowd are most likely doing a lot better at home, leading to more productivity. A good employer will see who works best in what environment.
I speak from experience.

Id like to work once a week from Manhattan, just to remind myself and to appreciate the days that Im working from home. Also seeing bums and filth in the city from time to time helps you appreciate your life more as well.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,458 times
Quote:
Despite what many claim, productivity has cratered amongst a certain subset of employees. Yes, the top has become. even more productive or has kept up but those that were barely productive in the office, are now more productive at home? Do you want to buy a bridge?

Furthermore, from an overall perspective, productivity has also taken a hit on certain days. Namely Mondays and Fridays. Before COVID some companies didn't really work Fridays anyway so that's fine but those companies that relied on a full 5 day week to get projects done are taking a hit.

Well if you were unproductive in the office eventually you'd get fired anyway so not sure what the correlation is with WFH for those folks.

I know people who have been struggling with WFH because they like being able to turn to a neighbor or need a crowd around them to keep them motivated to continue working and I feel for those people and hope they work out a situation that works for them.

But since we haven't seen larger businesses that require office space falling under in a large scale way this past year, I think that's proof positive enough that the WFH model is not the doomsday prospect people believe it to be.

There is never going to be a one solution fits all scenario. Just like some people are visual learners and some are audio, some are going to be productive while WFH and some won't. This is why I think a hybrid model where you give people the choice of what works best for them, seems like the longterm solution. If you want to go to the office 5 days a week, if you want to WFH 5 days a week, if you want to split the situation, whatever is going to best serve your productivity and your company's bottom line. If everyone gets a choice and you know the company has X amount of space then you work it out with your co-workers. You can't be mad at someone choosing to WFH, if you're given the option and still choose the office.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:56 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
We have the jogging path by us over by the cross island parkway and fort totten ...we know so many that are working from home and we see them out at the path on work days during their supposed working hours

Old 03-17-2021, 03:27 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
There is this unbelievably funny perception or rhetoric that somehow because someone is person that they provide some type of intangible moral support or boost team morale with their fabulous personality.
This too. Although I will say it's true to a SMALL extent. People usually tens to like to work with those that they get along with (even if they can work with someone better).

I was more referring to (male) managers hiring good looking women (almost) solely because they're something nice to look at / talk to/ hit on in the office. This happens way more than people will admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Well if you were unproductive in the office eventually you'd get fired anyway so not sure what the correlation is with WFH for those folks.

I know people who have been struggling with WFH because they like being able to turn to a neighbor or need a crowd around them to keep them motivated to continue working and I feel for those people and hope they work out a situation that works for them.
"Eventually" is very subjective. It takes years and decades often times.lol

The truth is that much of any company's workforce that was in the office 8-10 hours day, did 2-4 hours of work anyway. So of course they love to WFH. Now they don't have to pretend and can actually do other stuff the other 4-8 hours plus saving getting ready/ commute times. That's why many like WFH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We have the jogging path by us over by the cross island parkway and fort totten ...we know so many that are working from home and we see them out at the path on work days during their supposed working hours
It's probably the same people that pulled bull**** like scheduling /answering some bull**** email with 3 words at 11pm to pretend that they were working so hard.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:56 PM

173 posts, read 147,247 times
Quote:

The truth is that much of any company's workforce that was in the office 8-10 hours day, did 2-4 hours of work anyway. So of course they love to WFH. Now they don't have to pretend and can actually do other stuff the other 4-8 hours plus saving getting ready/ commute times. That's why many like WFH.
Fully agree here

Old 03-17-2021, 06:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,458 times
Quote:
I'm sure this is true for some. I wish it were true for me. There are literally days I have to tear myself away from my laptop just to make a trip to the bathroom and that was true in the office, as well. Today was a "light" day for me, I worked 6 of the 8 hours, with one hour for lunch and one hour for waiting to get a response to move forward so I was forced to do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City