Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 07:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Absolutely as I discovered a few days.

Unless California can import NY water to make their bagels, I would say that their claim is "fake news"!
The water thing is fake news.

https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/...s-quality-test

Long Island gets its water from a different source than NYC but I’ve never heard about there being a difference between a bagel in Queens vs. one a mile away in Nassau County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 09:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Yep, outlanders buy a bag of Lender's "bagels" and think they are actually eating a BAGEL.

LA is famous for mudslides, earthquakes, forest fire smoke, and too many cars, and out-of-work actor/waiters.

Who the Hell is Tejal Rao?

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-15-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-15-2021, 11:14 AM

522 posts, read 992,273 times
What makes a great bagel ? softness ?

Old 03-15-2021, 11:17 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The water thing is fake news.

https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/...s-quality-test

Long Island gets its water from a different source than NYC but I’ve never heard about there being a difference between a bagel in Queens vs. one a mile away in Nassau County.
There is definitely some truth to the water. I was a homebrewer for years. Attention to water chemistry is how you take your beers to the next level. NYC has extremely soft water with very little trace elements to mess with the yeast. I'm no baker, but it has to affect bread yeast similarly.

Back in the day I was quite versed in how to manipulate NYC water to achieve whatever results I was looking for in a particular batch.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-15-2021, 02:04 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Jeez even I'll defend NYC on this one.

I've had great pizza in plenty of other places, but never a good bagel.

Actually I think bagels are tied with NJ.

I have not had the Montreal bagel though.

next, Connecticut will make the bagel a state bread

Old 03-15-2021, 04:39 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yep, outlanders buy a bag of Lender's "bagels" and think they are actually eating a BAGEL.
Lender's Bagels! Whoo boy did you just bring me back. I used to shovel those Lender's onion bagels in when I was a child! Haven't had one of those in years.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:58 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
I am from NYC born and raised but now live in CA.

NO WAY that CA has better bagels. Still have not found H&H Quality and never will. Remember that place on 14th in the meatpacking district ? Forgot the name but would get fresh bagels at like 5am after clubbing.

CA Does Not have that quality. Different texture all together.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:07 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post

NO WAY that CA has better bagels. Still have not found H&H Quality and never will. Remember that place on 14th in the meatpacking district ? Forgot the name but would get fresh bagels at like 5am after clubbing.
Yes. And same with H&H on 46th Street. That was right next to the club

Old 03-16-2021, 05:43 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I am from NYC born and raised but now live in CA.

CA Does Not have that quality. Different texture all together.
Bagels from the Greater NYC Area (which include Long Island and New Jersey) are definitely better than anyone could find in California. My California relatives visit NYC and always want bagels for breakfast during their stay!

Old 03-16-2021, 04:58 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There is definitely some truth to the water. I was a homebrewer for years. Attention to water chemistry is how you take your beers to the next level. NYC has extremely soft water with very little trace elements to mess with the yeast. I'm no baker, but it has to affect bread yeast similarly.

Back in the day I was quite versed in how to manipulate NYC water to achieve whatever results I was looking for in a particular batch.
But NYC water comes from upstate, doesn’t it, and LI water comes from underground aquifers. I guess they are similar?

Of course this is all different than CA water, and FL water is a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City