U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

As title says, I returned vehicle plates to the DMV via mail back in January. They mailed me receipt to send to my insurance to be able to remove vehicle from policy. I am now getting parking tickets given in February to my old plates. Anyone has advice? Geico is at a loss of words and my only option for now is just to keep disputing tickets.

Should be said that I have 3 tickets from two different boroughs. Any help is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 08:48 AM

30,335 posts, read 43,187,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleonfrancis View Post
As title says, I returned vehicle plates to the DMV via mail back in January. They mailed me receipt to send to my insurance to be able to remove vehicle from policy. I am now getting parking tickets given in February to my old plates. Anyone has advice? Geico is at a loss of words and my only option for now is just to keep disputing tickets.

Should be said that I have 3 tickets from two different boroughs. Any help is appreciated.
Plead not guilty, attend the hearing and show the judge proof that you turned the plates in prior to when the tickets were written

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 AM

779 posts, read 923,687 times
Happened to me years ago, someone in another borough got tickets on my old plate.

Luckily I was able to find the return receipt from the dmv and had to send it to traffic court in Long Island.

It was resolved.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:26 PM

501 posts, read 523,957 times
Wait, are you saying the DMV reissues the same plates to someone else? Or that someone has forged your plates on a car and getting tickets?

I would think in the first situation it would be easy to resolve by showing them the receipt/proof. In the latter situation, that is a crime and if you let the police know I'm sure they'll impound the car if the plate is seen again.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:34 PM

870 posts, read 628,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleonfrancis View Post

call the police and tell them someone is using the plates that you turned into DMV and your getting tickets

Old 03-22-2021, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
Wait, are you saying the DMV reissues the same plates to someone else? Or that someone has forged your plates on a car and getting tickets?

I would think in the first situation it would be easy to resolve by showing them the receipt/proof. In the latter situation, that is a crime and if you let the police know I'm sure they'll impound the car if the plate is seen again.
Well I’m not sure how the plates destruction process works but I believe they weren’t actually destroyed but just stolen or given by someone at the place where it’s supposed to be destroyed. I can settle the tickets by constantly going to court/online dispute but I’m concerned about a crime being committed and my name being attached to it.

From my understanding it’s not an issue police can help only DMV.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:42 PM

13,520 posts, read 4,759,326 times
Response: Opinion

The moment you turn over your vehicle it is of utmost
important to take your plates off and immediately turn
them into the DMV.

30 years ago proof for turning in plates
was called an F7 receipt.

If for some strange reason your vehicle makes it out of the
pound and junked onto the side of the road ( as what exactly
happened to my vehicle ) a traffic cop will issue tickets based
on any registration found regardless whether or not plates are
on vehicle.

If it was not for my F7 proof of turning in plates I would have
had to pay a fine of over $700 dollars and that was a lot of money
back then.

Always have proof ......................Lesson well learned.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:31 PM

6,544 posts, read 3,294,997 times
They can run the VIN to determine the latest registration, even if not currently valid.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 4,759,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
They can run the VIN to determine the latest registration, even if not currently valid.
Response: Opinion

Absolutely Correct.........................30 years ago................................not so much.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City