U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 01:56 PM

53 posts, read 49,891 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Philly. I am in medical residency. I really like Philly now, as it grew on me. Still, NYC to me remains the more exciting place. I loved the arts and the energy...which admittedly are less now.

Anyway, I have a small chamber choir in NYC who I sing with for gigs and stuff. I go up to NYC (brooklyn) on average twice/month I would say. The commute is fine to do every couple weeks or so, a little tiring sometimes if I go two weekends in a row but overall not bad. I'm in northeast philly so it's about 100 minutes to get to brooklyn.

I can do anything I want to do after residency. I will be employable anywhere in the country. I guess I'm wondering, given that NYC returns to close-to-prepandemic levels of excitement in a couple years...do you guys think it's a better fit for someone like me to stay in Philly and just go up to NYC a couple times a month, or live closer to NYC?

I probably like NYC more, but admittedly I'd like to own property one day and that will not happen in NYC proper...the suburbs perhaps. I'm willing to consider things like jersey city heights or even something like south orange/maplewood or glen ridge/montclair. But I overall prefer that urban and somewhat gritty neighborhood texture that neighborhoods like fishtown in philly or bed-stuy brooklyn provide

Considerations for me are overall appreciation of real estate (if I were to buy), city projected growth within the next couple of decades, future prognosis of the city, excitement and the arts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 04:53 AM

13,459 posts, read 4,722,627 times
Response: Opinion

The best advice I can give is doing exactly what you are doing now.
Exploring!
Take a break on a nice sunny day from that route you travel over and over .
A slight detour into one of the neighborhoods. Do some shopping, grab a
snack and converse with some of the people.

Check off your comfort level on all your encounters.
Best wishes.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:24 PM

2,176 posts, read 2,328,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarne242 View Post
I currently live in Philly. I am in medical residency. I really like Philly now, as it grew on me. Still, NYC to me remains the more exciting place. I loved the arts and the energy...which admittedly are less now.

Anyway, I have a small chamber choir in NYC who I sing with for gigs and stuff. I go up to NYC (brooklyn) on average twice/month I would say. The commute is fine to do every couple weeks or so, a little tiring sometimes if I go two weekends in a row but overall not bad. I'm in northeast philly so it's about 100 minutes to get to brooklyn.

I can do anything I want to do after residency. I will be employable anywhere in the country. I guess I'm wondering, given that NYC returns to close-to-prepandemic levels of excitement in a couple years...do you guys think it's a better fit for someone like me to stay in Philly and just go up to NYC a couple times a month, or live closer to NYC?

I probably like NYC more, but admittedly I'd like to own property one day and that will not happen in NYC proper...the suburbs perhaps. I'm willing to consider things like jersey city heights or even something like south orange/maplewood or glen ridge/montclair. But I overall prefer that urban and somewhat gritty neighborhood texture that neighborhoods like fishtown in philly or bed-stuy brooklyn provide

Considerations for me are overall appreciation of real estate (if I were to buy), city projected growth within the next couple of decades, future prognosis of the city, excitement and the arts.
My question is more inline with your medical specialty... is it one of them in high demand? If so, I would stay in the Philly area, or maybe a little further north into the the Lehigh Valley. St. Luke's and Lehigh Valley Health System are expanding rapidly in the LV and the Poconos- both areas presently have MD shortages. You may be able to negotiate better pay in those areas, than in NYC (and surrounding burbs) where "everyone" wants to live and practice. A trip from either LV or the Poconos wouldn't add much more of a significant commute time to Brooklyn. (I live out in the Poconos and commute to the Bronx nearly daily for a 125-mile trip each way. I am closer to the LV at the tail end of the Poconos. The Pandemic has made for a 2-hour commute on most days as opposed to the 3+ pre Pandemic)

Old 03-23-2021, 02:19 PM

7,658 posts, read 5,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarne242 View Post

newark while its still cheap or maybe trenton but I think its worse off than newark. This way you are on the northeast corridor and can visit both nyc and philly whenever you want and you plenty of transportation options. You will also get the gritty feel.

Since you're a doctor, you're probably going to end up in maplewood or glen ridge/montclair realistically though.

NYC and philly currently have terrible mayors compared to bloomberg/nutter area. They both need massive amounts of infrastructure funding and expansion of rail. NJ cities were spared the BLM summer riots though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
My question is more inline with your medical specialty... is it one of them in high demand? If so, I would stay in the Philly area, or maybe a little further north into the the Lehigh Valley. St. Luke's and Lehigh Valley Health System are expanding rapidly in the LV and the Poconos- both areas presently have MD shortages. You may be able to negotiate better pay in those areas, than in NYC (and surrounding burbs) where "everyone" wants to live and practice. A trip from either LV or the Poconos wouldn't add much more of a significant commute time to Brooklyn. (I live out in the Poconos and commute to the Bronx nearly daily for a 125-mile trip each way. I am closer to the LV at the tail end of the Poconos. The Pandemic has made for a 2-hour commute on most days as opposed to the 3+ pre Pandemic)

I hate the poconos except for the frank frazetta mueseum and el rincon. It needs rail service desperately.

LV is better than the poconos. However, it needs rail service too to both philly and nyc

Old 03-23-2021, 05:06 PM

15,079 posts, read 12,888,622 times
I think a big factor will be where you want to work post residency. Philly has some good hospitals. NYC has more and even better. I think NYC would be a better place to try an build a career. But you didn't state you specialty, so I can't speak to how that would effect the choice.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:22 PM

7,658 posts, read 5,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think a big factor will be where you want to work post residency. Philly has some good hospitals. NYC has more and even better. I think NYC would be a better place to try an build a career. But you didn't state you specialty, so I can't speak to how that would effect the choice.

Every doctor wants to work in NYC. But if your not the best and you're doing a super speciality, than you are better of in NJ. Less competition and more space.

Philly is nice but the current mayor is just as bad as deblasio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: