Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 11:56 AM

1,046 posts, read 469,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Maybe I just have very bad luck with neighbors/buildings Lived in around 30 apartments, old, new in between and always hear neighbors. Though I mostly have lived in Studios, with that sound echos and you have no room to escape when your neighbor bothers you. Although I did live in some one bedrooms and could hear neighbors, I'd just go to the other room then if they annoyed me. So yah I guess I just bad luck
30 apartments!? To quote my poor dead mother, oy vey iz mir! I absolutely could never do that much moving in my life. Nope. Not happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 01:05 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Most of Astoria is fine. I would just stay away from the areas near the housing projects in Astoria, which is easy enough to do since they are out of the way. With the economy in the toilet, I'd move there if I were you and work out a deal with a landlord offering concessions (i.e. free months of rent, etc.) Lock in a two year deal. You can easily put away $3,000 a month after all of your expenses, perhaps more.

Quite frankly, $2500 is a healthy budget in most of Manhattan now. Most landlords are desperate for renters.
It's healthy for now.

Until the other schmucks get corralled back into the city.

Astoria is likely to stay moderately priced.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:06 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
Is there any downside? Low population, crime, proximity, demographics, etc? I wonder why nobody mentioned it before
Life Lesson #1: Nothing good is ever publicized much. You have to seek it out.

People will scream to the rooftops anything bad However.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:19 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
30 apartments!? To quote my poor dead mother, oy vey iz mir! I absolutely could never do that much moving in my life. Nope. Not happening.
Right?! I've moved 3 times and after the last one I said never again, it was a big move. Now, we may have a much, much bigger move on the horizon and I'm already dreading it.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:58 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's healthy for now.

Until the other schmucks get corralled back into the city.

Astoria is likely to stay moderately priced.
Rents go up and down in this City. Always been that way. We have bubbles. Look at 2007. The market was hot... The bubble burst occurred in 2008. People love boasting about how "little money" people have here in NYC, as if everyone is making $100,000 - 200,000 plus. Same crap in 2007. Everyone was living it up, getting loans on things they couldn't afford, and then the bubble exploded. Similar thing now, even before COVID. People were running up credit cards trying to keep up with the Joneses. Debt piling up. If it wasn't COVID, something else would've happened.

The OP is doing just fine. Most Americans barely have enough money in savings to even cover a month of expenses, and he's able to put away $2500 a month. Maybe on this forum there are more money savvy types (I hope), but that definitely is not the case outside of it. I admit that I don't put away $2500 a month. I try to do $1000 - 1500 a month, but my employer puts money into an IRA I have so that helps, but again, still doing much better than most folks and I'm still in my 30s. lol

Old 03-23-2021, 03:45 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
Is there any downside? Low population, crime, proximity, demographics, etc? I wonder why nobody mentioned it before
Probably because you seem like you want a high rise luxury building.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:47 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Yes I love moving. Each apartment, each neighborhood is a new life experience. If it wasn't for covid I would've moved somewhere new. But when your freelance and both your jobs have been put on pause, your not looking good to landlord's to rent.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:09 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
New York has a wonderful variety of places in which people can live. Apartments, SFH, duplexes, pre-war (that's WWII), semi-attached, . . .

I prefer the west side of Manhattan. I love being near Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, theaters, and all the restaurants. The east side has museum row. The boroughs have larger apartments and sometimes a back yard! As with most things in life, there are trade-offs.

As I am getting older, I prefer the convenience of Manhattan. Everything I want or need is close by. When I was younger, I lived in the boroughs, but always drove to the city for the weekend. [Note that where I grew up, Manhattan was "the city".] Needed a car in the borough, but sold it when I moved to the city.

I've lived in three of the five boroughs. Prefer Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City