Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:35 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Irish..I sincerely doubt any business in Mott Haven is paying anything...so there is clearly more to it than we are aware of. 55 for Bayridge seems awefully low..I wonder why Mott Haven at 88 is doing so well...access to the city though is short and easy, lots of supermarkets/bodegas all over, Rite-Aids, tons of schools, and the largest shopping strip in the Bronx....thats all I could think that is making it so high.
it's more walkable if you have a bodega on the corner even if you get shot walking there! HAHAHA

What makes a neighborhood walkable?

Walkable communities tend to have the following characteristics:
  • A center: Walkable neighborhoods have a discernable center, whether it's a shopping district, a main street, or a public space.
  • Density: The neighborhood is dense enough for local businesses to flourish and for public transportation to be cost effective.
  • Mixed income, mixed use: Housing is provided for everyone who works in the neighborhood: young and old, singles and families, rich and poor. Businesses and residences are located near each other.
  • Parks and public space: There are plenty of public places to gather and play.
  • Accessibility: The neighborhood is accessible to everyone and has wheelchair access, plenty of benches with shade, sidewalks on all streets, etc.
  • Well connected, speed controlled streets: Streets form a connected grid that improves traffic by providing many routes to any destination. Streets are narrow to control speed, and shaded by trees to protect pedestrians.
  • Pedestrian-centric design: Buildings are placed close to the street to cater to foot traffic, with parking lots relegated to the back.
  • Close schools and workplaces: Schools and workplaces are close enough that most residents can walk from their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
it's more walkable if you have a bodega on the corner even if you get shot walking there! HAHAHA

What makes a neighborhood walkable?

Walkable communities tend to have the following characteristics:
  • A center: Walkable neighborhoods have a discernable center, whether it's a shopping district, a main street, or a public space.
  • Density: The neighborhood is dense enough for local businesses to flourish and for public transportation to be cost effective.
  • Mixed income, mixed use: Housing is provided for everyone who works in the neighborhood: young and old, singles and families, rich and poor. Businesses and residences are located near each other.
  • Parks and public space: There are plenty of public places to gather and play.
  • Accessibility: The neighborhood is accessible to everyone and has wheelchair access, plenty of benches with shade, sidewalks on all streets, etc.
  • Well connected, speed controlled streets: Streets form a connected grid that improves traffic by providing many routes to any destination. Streets are narrow to control speed, and shaded by trees to protect pedestrians.
  • Pedestrian-centric design: Buildings are placed close to the street to cater to foot traffic, with parking lots relegated to the back.
  • Close schools and workplaces: Schools and workplaces are close enough that most residents can walk from their homes.
Every time I go to the bodega I get shot. It's like the movie Groundhog Day.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:41 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
You're right I guess they're not paying! Maybe my stuff is a longer walk. Well, if it helps keep people out I'm all for the low number. It's already too crowded for my taste.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
It could be that Bayridge does not have a main shopping strip the way that Mott Haven does..it is quite large and has a variety of shopping. It is also more dense than Bayridge...

Irish...enough with the gunshot BS...you are not winning any friends/points that way.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I live in the upper Ditmars area of Astoria, basically on the very east end of Astoria by the airport. It only got a 60 lol. To walk into town on Ditmars it takes about 10 minutes to get to all the stores.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
97 for me in Fordham. Makes sense, area is very convenient.
Im a block (albeit a looong block) from Fordham rd so I dont know my area got in the mid-80s and Fordham a 97. You must be close to the Fordham rd intersection.

And Guy the largest retail center is Fordham road not the Hub.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:05 PM

Really....I thought for sure it was the Hub..show me!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:10 PM

38 posts, read 124,353 times
my area of bay ridge scored a 94; however, a couple of businesses listed with "cafe" in their name are private coffee clubs or hooka places.

But the best is the fact that I could walk 3.05 miles to a theater in St. George, Staten Island -- maybe I'll try that next weekend if the weather's nice; hopefully it still exists unlike the Fortway, which is still listed.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 PM

Oh I found it SuperWario...Fordham is in fact the 3rd largest shopping district in the city.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:32 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Oh I found it SuperWario...Fordham is in fact the 3rd largest shopping district in the city.
Yeah, im surprised you tought the Hub was bigger. I dont know but to me the Hub was unimpressive and much much smaller than Fordham.

BTW, what are the first two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City