Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 10:55 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Unemployment still subject to NY State (and NYC) taxes. It's only federal taxes get an unemployment benefits exemption for the first $10,200. I think I read somewhere that those who haven't filed yet and have this issue should hold off on filing.

I know someone who is a NYC resident and received NJ unemployment benefits who filed before the new stimulus bill was passed. The IRS took the tax money he was due at that time, hasn't yet refunded the taxes for the first $10,200, hasn't processed his tax return and he hasn't received the $1400 stimulus (which he is eligible according to the income levels in the latest stimulus bill) yet either.
The software has been updated as far as turbo and likely tax cut . There is no more reason to hold off on the federal .

I may hold back the state longer and see what they end up doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 10:57 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Turbo has released the updates to the tax software to update for the changes in the unemployment exemption and other care act provisions.

But be aware New York so far has not made the 10,200.00 in unemployment insurance not taxable .

So the software will change the federal but not the state ..law makers are still trying to push for making the first 10,200 in unemployment not taxable by our state but so far it is what it is .

Also New York has pushed the due date out to may 17 like the federal
Thanks, good to know. I am dealing with my tax accountant now but she is being unacceptably slow with my returns this year. I'm thinking of jumping ship and moving elsewhere.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:32 AM

They only updated some of the software Friday ..I bet a lot of other software did not get the updates yet

Old 03-28-2021, 01:04 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Ohhhhh

I completely forgot Covid UE was extra on top of the usual.

If so them that makes sense on why you would have to pay tax. It's a crap ton more than the $400 a week I got years ago.

If some people were getting $4k a month in enhanced UE under the extra plan then yes unfortunately you'll probably have been above that Fed threshold.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Ohhhhh

I completely forgot Covid UE was extra on top of the usual.

If so them that makes sense on why you would have to pay tax. It's a crap ton more than the $400 a week I got years ago.

If some people were getting $4k a month in enhanced UE under the extra plan then yes unfortunately you'll probably have been above that Fed threshold.
Unemployment is gotten by families of all incomes ...it is simply added to all the other household income and taxed accordingly...whether standard deductions leave you with no tax liability is a different issue .

But in the end it still is never double taxed like you said...

I think I got 20k in unemployment last year and all I was working pre covid was one day a week

Old 03-29-2021, 06:18 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Over the weekend I found out that the person that filed their taxes early and paid taxes on his Unemployment benefits finally got the stimulus payment as a mailed check although the 2 prior stimulus payments were via direct deposit (all via the same bank account). Finally after much searching online, it seems that IRS won't pay a refund (or stimulus) into an account that it withdrew funds for a tax payment. Since they are due a federal tax refund because of the stimulus deal (as they earned less than $10,200 in UE benefits), I assume that will also come as a mailed check rather than direct deposit.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Over the weekend I found out that the person that filed their taxes early and paid taxes on his Unemployment benefits finally got the stimulus payment as a mailed check although the 2 prior stimulus payments were via direct deposit (all via the same bank account). Finally after much searching online, it seems that IRS won't pay a refund (or stimulus) into an account that it withdrew funds for a tax payment. Since they are due a federal tax refund because of the stimulus deal (as they earned less than $10,200 in UE benefits), I assume that will also come as a mailed check rather than direct deposit.
No idea ..you would think the irs and treasury would use the same bank link for both a payment and deposit unless there is a separate approval need for deposit than the approval you may have given for withdrawal

Old 03-29-2021, 10:08 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
No idea ..you would think the irs and treasury would use the same bank link for both a payment and deposit unless there is a separate approval need for deposit than the approval you may have given for withdrawal
Agreed but I found the information on the IRS website (as the person's bank had no idea why the direct deposit didn't happen).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: