Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 10:28 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

Turbo has released the updates to the tax software to update for the changes in the unemployment exemption and other care act provisions.

But be aware New York so far has not made the 10,200.00 in unemployment insurance not taxable .

So the software will change the federal but not the state ..law makers are still trying to push for making the first 10,200 in unemployment not taxable by our state but so far it is what it is .

Also New York has pushed the due date out to may 17 like the federal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 03:29 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
There was no reason why people in NYS should not have had federal and state taxes deducted from UI payments. One of the few states that have option available and it should have been used to avoid the sort of mess people are finding themselves in now.

When you under with hold there are going to be problems on tax day, always.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There was no reason why people in NYS should not have had federal and state taxes deducted from UI payments. One of the few states that have option available and it should have been used to avoid the sort of mess people are finding themselves in now.

When you under with hold there are going to be problems on tax day, always.
I do it so it wasn’t a problem either way . I have them hold the max.

I would just be nice if ny went along with the other states and doing what the fed is doing.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:52 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I do it so it wasn’t a problem either way . I have them hold the max.

I would just be nice if ny went along with the other states and doing what the fed is doing.
Not every state that taxes UI so far has gone along with federal. IIRC North Carolina still is taxing UI benefits received in 2020.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...a-95c2c317973b

Only thing so far North Carolina has done about taxes if move date to same as federal, 17 May 2021.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...9-7ff77baf2308

Just checked further, Hawaii isn't waiving UI taxes, and neither (so far) is Iowa. The latter however has bills pending in legislature on matter, but so far nothing seems to have moved.

Thing to remember is federal government can print money all day long. Meanwhile states nearly all are required by their constitutions to have balanced budgets. Forgiving UI bennies where taxed leaves states with a hole that has to be patched.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:08 PM

So far more states are taxing it than not but many like N.Y. have bills in the works

Old 03-28-2021, 07:29 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
When I took UE years ago I did not pay tax on it because I already paid tons of tax on my high paying job both before and after with the new one.

There is no reason to pay FEDERAL tax on UE in NYC because most times it's such a pittance you'll get it all back anyway if you're a low wage worker. And if you owe back tax on higher income it won't help you catch up anyway.

There's virtually no reason UE should be taxed at any level. It is unconscionable that you get taxed twice both when you pay in and when you get paid out.

All that being said consult a CPA.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
When I took UE years ago I did not pay tax on it because I already paid tons of tax on my high paying job both before and after with the new one.

There is no reason to pay FEDERAL tax on UE in NYC because most times it's such a pittance you'll get it all back anyway if you're a low wage worker. And if you owe back tax on higher income it won't help you catch up anyway.

There's virtually no reason UE should be taxed at any level. It is unconscionable that you get taxed twice both when you pay in and when you get paid out.

All that being said consult a CPA.

However employees in New York Do not pay in to the unemployment fund from their checks ..that is only an employer expense.

No one has taxable money deducted from their check for going in to unemployment.

Maybe you are thinking of fica , but certainly not unemployment

Old 03-28-2021, 07:55 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
NY makes things so complicated. The amount of questions they asked me I'm like are you f ing serious. I was shocked to owe taxes as I usually am always owed. I have a feeling NY will owe me but if this is a sign of what's to come, it makes me hesitant to do business here. I mean I didn't earn much last year, dont have any stocks no nothing and if NY makes even the simplest s_ complicated...

Question...so the stimulus we got last year...did we somehow get taxed for it afterwards but just did not see it? I didnt get UE and kinda still amazed I could owe money.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:37 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Turbo has released the updates to the tax software to update for the changes in the unemployment exemption and other care act provisions.

But be aware New York so far has not made the 10,200.00 in unemployment insurance not taxable .

So the software will change the federal but not the state ..law makers are still trying to push for making the first 10,200 in unemployment not taxable by our state but so far it is what it is .

Also New York has pushed the due date out to may 17 like the federal
Unemployment still subject to NY State (and NYC) taxes. It's only federal taxes get an unemployment benefits exemption for the first $10,200. I think I read somewhere that those who haven't filed yet and have this issue should hold off on filing.

I know someone who is a NYC resident and received NJ unemployment benefits who filed before the new stimulus bill was passed. The IRS took the tax money he was due at that time, hasn't yet refunded the taxes for the first $10,200, hasn't processed his tax return and he hasn't received the $1400 stimulus (which he is eligible according to the income levels in the latest stimulus bill) yet either.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
NY makes things so complicated. The amount of questions they asked me I'm like are you f ing serious. I was shocked to owe taxes as I usually am always owed. I have a feeling NY will owe me but if this is a sign of what's to come, it makes me hesitant to do business here. I mean I didn't earn much last year, dont have any stocks no nothing and if NY makes even the simplest s_ complicated...

Question...so the stimulus we got last year...did we somehow get taxed for it afterwards but just did not see it? I didnt get UE and kinda still amazed I could owe money.
No the stimulus was not taxed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: