Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 11:45 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Maybe not but rent stabilization was established so long ago (google says 1969) and most stabilized units are pretty close to market rate anyway. As far as I know, there's hardly any rent controlled units in existence now.
Rent control is still about 6-8% of apartments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 12:20 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Rent control is still about 6-8% of apartments
That's more than I thought. Rent controlled rents are realllly low. I'm sure they wouldn't even pay for maintenance/heat/hot water usage. Still, I guess that was initiated 1962 so I doubt there are many buildings still in the same hands since that time.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:30 PM

596 posts, read 252,937 times
Rent control was replaced by Rent Stabilized in the 60s or 70s in response to rent hikes and protests. Cancel rent u see in 2021 was done in 60s too. SROs were also at one point more popular than studios and 1 BR. SROs are coming back too called "co-living" iunno legality of those shops but I guess it works.

A lot of RSU today are around or near market rate in the good locations. As this article shows quite a few good deals to be had and a couple were availble last year during pandemic. The avg RSU is like $1300/m I think and yes the system is abused and doesn't serve the intended market. RSU is not an affordable housing program, but it was designed to replace rent control which arguably is was. Its a price control on rent. It was NYC attempt to slow down rent hikes when 20% increase after a year was the norm.

Before you listen to landlord crocodile tears tho, the average RSU unit last I checked was $1370/m and after expenses tax breaks profit per unit was $540-$600. Yep it puts into perspective the real costs and how market actually works.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:46 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Each case is different...average means nothing ....

In our case one apartment we had left was actually negative ..the other positive...they were at zero cash flow and there was no profit from rent .

But we made our money buying out the leases of 7 out of 9 tenants for 100k each .then we sold them For 7 figures and multiple 7 figures each .

The last two we sold for cents on the dollar to an investor group just to unload them .

So there is no such thing as average profit ...each case is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: