Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 2,540 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Bed Stuy near Gates and Nostrand. I've lived in all sorts of neighborhoods in NYC over the last decade, UWS, Harlem, PLG, etc. I went to see this apartment and it felt fine to me, but then I searched up on city-data and everyone was saying to avoid avoid avoid lol. Granted, this was in 2010, so I'm wondering if any locals can give any updates?

About me: average sized male, Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
no its not okay thats one of the worst corners in bed-stuy...as a nickname, they call that big building on the corner "the shelter". the corner itself is nicknamed N.A. Rock. still a lot of drug selling over there. a lot of quality of life issues that you might not be comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 09:30 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Don’t think that corner qualifies as “the worst in Bedstuy” anymore but I know the building Seventh is referring to and people do hang out in front of it- so it does give homeless shelter vibes.

There are a lot of new construction condos and apartments along Gates now. A lot. Nostrand as a busy commercial street has a lot of people that hang out in front of stores but you get a very weird mix because 1/2 of the stores are gentrified stores the other 1/2 are (non gentrified) bodega- type stores. Watching newer residents weave around the people in front of the bodega to get to the French creperie is interesting, to say the least.

So my opinion, if the building is ON Gates it’s better than if it’s ON Nostrand. If you’re renting, there are better, quieter, blocks but if you’re buying that’s a different argument because you’re making a long term bet that the specific block will continue to improve in QOL. For example in 10 years I’ve seen every single abandoned and rundown building on my block/surrounding block get gut renovated. Any empty lot that’s large enough has been turned into a new construction condos.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:26 AM

926 posts, read 417,444 times
Why take a chance if you have the option not to, OP?

Northern Brooklyn in general gentrified fairly quickly. It can and possibly will degentrify just as quickly. That means it's not a stable neighborhood.

Considering the trend in NYC of rising crime rates and decreasing support for law enforcement, I think that finding a safe and stable (= reliably safe) neighborhood should be a top priority for buyers and renters alike.

Putting myself in your shoes for a second... Assuming you have an average budget & must live in NYC: I would prioritize a neighborhood like Forest Hills, in Queens. Rego Park and Kew Gardens might also be worth looking into.

Good luck with your home hunting.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:23 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Bed-Stuy is in many ways a lot better than it was ten years ago, but it's uneven. I think Nostrand and Gates especially further east on Gates. Maybe a better question is to say what your budget is, where you're commuting to, and what you're looking for as a basis for asking about places to look for housing.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:51 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Bed-Stuy is in many ways a lot better than it was ten years ago, but it's uneven. I think Nostrand and Gates especially further east on Gates. Maybe a better question is to say what your budget is, where you're commuting to, and what you're looking for as a basis for asking about places to look for housing.
I meant to say that further east on Gates seems worse.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:41 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
If you have to ask...

Old 03-30-2021, 06:31 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
I saw a gut and redo on Patchen, between Halsey and Macon, at $950K..........!

Should tell you all you need to know about Bed Stuy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City