Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 08:19 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That's what happens when you have all of these transplants coming here.

You don't even vote. You're part of the problem.
When your choices are between being shot or being stabbed, I would prefer neither. I'd rather not vote and not complain than vote and complain. Hoping that somebody gets it right, that's all you're doing.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 08:34 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Perps are feasting on attacking defenseless NYers as weather gets warmer. It is disheartening to hear that bystanders on scene are watching the attacks like broadway shows. While personal safety and legal concerns are good excuses not to help the victims right in front of your eyes, one thing you could do to deter criminals is to bring pepper sprays with you. Approach unarmed perps cautiously and look for opportunities to spray while they are engaged in assaulting their victims.

Standing by watching and letting perps get away reflects what a sick place NYC has become and will create a spiraling dangerous place for everyone including your loved ones.

It is stunning how cold-hearted the bystanders in this video are in a recent attack. Watch it for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SskKiRKXXws
The problem is that, unless someone is naked or wearing spandex that reveals and outline of a weapon, you never really know if someone is unarmed. Stop in to breakup someone getting slapped around may lead to you getting stabbed or shot. I'll take my chances calling the police and generally avoid these hellholes.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:00 AM

5,666 posts, read 2,608,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Greg Borland says it best

Pepper spray does not work on everyone

. This can be due to mental illness or altered states of mind due to the use of narcotics. Many people can also just fight through the effects of pepper spray (law enforcement is trained to do so).

Pepper spray can be difficult to deploy in stressful and violent situations. The target area is small (mainly the eyes) and they may be wearing glasses or a mask that will interfere and/or negate the effects of pepper spray.

Pepper spray runs a huge risk for over contamination. Under stress, people who are not trained tend to empty the canister when they deploy it. They generally do not use it in the directed fashion of a small controlled targeted burst.

This means that everyone in the area suffers the effects. It may even incapacitate the person who deploys it.

Deploying pepper spray can have legal ramifications.

You may be called upon to justify your actions. Many people's "logic trains" don’t go this far. They just believe that if they are attacked or threatened they will spray them with the pepper spray and everything will be right with the world.

As stated above, pepper spray has its place in the world. But like anything else, you should approach self-defense reasonably and not count on pepper spray as the magic solution.

https://munioselfdefense.com/blogs/n...f-pepper-spray
Pepper spray also gives people a false sense of security.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:46 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Pepper spray also gives people a false sense of security.
Defensive weapons often do. People often lgnore situational awareness, confident they can now handle any threat when carrying. They also dont realize the potential legal issues that may come up in this city. Life is also not the movies, and the shock and adrenaline in untrained people will make most planned reactions go sideways. It should be a last resort. The best way to avoid being assualted/stabbed etc is to not be there at all.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:47 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Defensive weapons often do. People often lgnore situational awareness, confident they can now handle any threat when carrying. They also dont realize the potential legal issues that may come up in this city. Life is also not the movies, and the shock and adrenaline in untrained people will make most planned reactions go sideways. It should be a last resort. The best way to avoid being assualted/stabbed etc is to not be there at all.
Bingo

The problem is this can bring someone at odds with friends and spouses who have a #YOLO "Let's go to the Bronx for Brunch, see and be seen" mentality.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:36 AM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Greg Borland says it best

Pepper spray does not work on everyone

. This can be due to mental illness or altered states of mind due to the use of narcotics. Many people can also just fight through the effects of pepper spray (law enforcement is trained to do so).

Pepper spray can be difficult to deploy in stressful and violent situations. The target area is small (mainly the eyes) and they may be wearing glasses or a mask that will interfere and/or negate the effects of pepper spray.

Pepper spray runs a huge risk for over contamination. Under stress, people who are not trained tend to empty the canister when they deploy it. They generally do not use it in the directed fashion of a small controlled targeted burst.

This means that everyone in the area suffers the effects. It may even incapacitate the person who deploys it.

Deploying pepper spray can have legal ramifications.

You may be called upon to justify your actions. Many people's "logic trains" don’t go this far. They just believe that if they are attacked or threatened they will spray them with the pepper spray and everything will be right with the world.

As stated above, pepper spray has its place in the world. But like anything else, you should approach self-defense reasonably and not count on pepper spray as the magic solution.

https://munioselfdefense.com/blogs/n...f-pepper-spray

Can one make the same arguments against the effectiveness of other tools in self-defense, such as a gun/club as you favor the most?

You repeatedly missed the obvious points I made clear in my previous posts, including that this is to encourage able-bodied, able-minded bystanders who can assess and handle the situation with minimal legal/safety risks for themselves. I am not asking under- or over-aged citizens or nerds to physically involve with this physically demanding anti-crime actions.

For the perp shown in the video, I feel confident that I can pepper spray and disable him by surprise; and even if I missed, I can easily outrun him to a safe place before he has a chance to attack me.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:41 AM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

Perps and perp culture can spread like virus or wild fire. Passive avoidance is a short-term strategy. If a culture doesn't actively prevent or fight this problem, you will find the communities to be plagued with perps over a few months.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:28 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times
Quote:
Perps and perp culture can spread like virus or wild fire. Passive avoidance is a short-term strategy. If a culture doesn't actively prevent or fight this problem, you will find the communities to be plagued with perps over a few months.

these random acts of violence aren't usually associated with a particular neighborhood. They are statistically rare compared to robberies.
So there may be copy cats who do these attack on Asians or sometimes other people but they are not likely to be doing it in their own neighborhood.

Robberies might be localized, where criminals size up particular people they think will have money in some area, it's a different motive but these random attacks could pop up anywhere, usually by deranged people

Quote:

How can bystanders stop unarmed perps effectively and safely??

Quote:

I made clear in my previous posts, including that this is to encourage able-bodied, able-minded bystanders who can assess and handle the situation with minimal legal/safety risks for themselves. I am not asking under- or over-aged citizens or nerds to physically involve with this physically demanding anti-crime actions.

For the perp shown in the video, I feel confident that I can pepper spray and disable him by surprise; and even if I missed, I can easily outrun him to a safe place before he has a chance to attack me.
OK so you have a potential solution here, pepper spray carried by able bodied bystanders who have practiced using it.

This attack occurred on West 43rd st.
The man that it lived in a homeless shelter on 40th

He looks kind of big in the video but it's hard to tell how tall he was.

https://abc7ny.com/nyc-asian-attack-...cked/10459000/

The man fled the scene, and workers across the street said a man chased down the assailant to confront him --
but the perpetrator pulled a knife and got away.

I don't know how long the attack was but lets say the whole thing was 30 seconds.

Let's say hypothetically many people in the neighborhood had pepper spray, some able bodied.

So what would potentially happen? He's attacking this woman. She looked like she had fallen on the ground and he was kicking her. So then someone sprays him in the face, they would have to feel confident that the spray would not fall down on the 65 year old woman or trying to spray the man before she fell down, yet not spray her at the same time. It seems tricky

Or are you suggesting that it was too quick and tricky to spray when it was going on and that right after as he is leaving the scene people say "stop" or something, he doesn't and then one or two people spray him,
Is that what you are talking about? That he would be incapacitated long enough for police to arrive ?
He also had a knife which he pulled. So now he has pepper in his face and perhaps thrashing wildly with the knife but having a hard time seeing

Old 04-04-2021, 12:39 PM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
these random acts of violence aren't usually associated with a particular neighborhood. They are statistically rare compared to robberies.
So there may be copy cats who do these attack on Asians or sometimes other people but they are not likely to be doing it in their own neighborhood.

Robberies might be localized, where criminals size up particular people they think will have money in some area, it's a different motive but these random attacks could pop up anywhere, usually by deranged people

OK so you have a potential solution here, pepper spray carried by able bodied bystanders who have practiced using it.

This attack occurred on West 43rd st.
The man that it lived in a homeless shelter on 40th

He looks kind of big in the video but it's hard to tell how tall he was.

https://abc7ny.com/nyc-asian-attack-...cked/10459000/

The man fled the scene, and workers across the street said a man chased down the assailant to confront him --
but the perpetrator pulled a knife and got away.

I don't know how long the attack was but lets say the whole thing was 30 seconds.

Let's say hypothetically many people in the neighborhood had pepper spray, some able bodied.

So what would potentially happen? He's attacking this woman. She looked like she had fallen on the ground and he was kicking her. So then someone sprays him in the face, they would have to feel confident that the spray would not fall down on the 65 year old woman or trying to spray the man before she fell down, yet not spray her at the same time. It seems tricky

Or are you suggesting that it was too quick and tricky to spray when it was going on and that right after as he is leaving the scene people say "stop" or something, he doesn't and then one or two people spray him,
Is that what you are talking about? That he would be incapacitated long enough for police to arrive ?
He also had a knife which he pulled. So now he has pepper in his face and perhaps thrashing wildly with the knife but having a hard time seeing
In the end every thing you said is possible which is why more effective contact weapons are a more effective choice when you can .

Old 04-04-2021, 02:42 PM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Even a drug crazed maniac might not be stopped with a firearm either .

There are loads of shootings where bad guys have absorbed round after round , especially 9mm which is a weak man stopper and shot bad guys just continued their attack ....

A bad guy with a knife or hand weapon can be very dangerous...even a heart shot would let them live long enough to cover 20 ft and hack you to death so counting on a spray is really false confidence.

In combat training we were taught if you are dealing with a bad guy with a hand weapon , aim for. The pelvic area and nothing else ....you want to shatter the pelvis to make sure they can’t physically continue the attack .

Short of a head shot or severing the spine , both of which are lucky shots , the shattering of the pelvis is the only hope you have because like I said , even a heart shot will let them cover 20 ft and get you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City