Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 03:07 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,633,157 times

Advertisements

It’s at bay plaza which is like a suburban strip mall but with co op city as a vista.It’s not like it’s coming to E.149th or Jerome Avenue. It would be popular on those 2 spots though. SS is indicative of a vegan joint or 6 dollar latter coffee shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 08:09 AM

36,931 posts, read 38,892,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm talking about you giving me background on the area like I'm not familiar with the it. I'm quite familiar with it. You don't need to "educate" me. I've been there in person many times. That's my point.

I'm saying that I'm not convinced that there will be enough clientele to sustain one, even if most of its business comes from non-residents. It's not going to be packed like that Upper West Side one along Columbus, that's for sure. I think it would have to closer to Yankee Stadium for it to be packed, and that could be seasonal at best then.
You already stated such multiple times and no one cares or argues that you haven't though

The closest approximation to an existing Shake Shack would probably be the Fulton Street one opened about a decade ago in downtown Brooklyn on the Fulton Mall. That was before the slew of high-rises and was pretty reliant on the courts and Brooklyn municipal workers.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:13 AM

12,742 posts, read 8,179,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You already stated such multiple times and no one cares or argues that you haven't though

The closest approximation to an existing Shake Shack would probably be the Fulton Street one opened about a decade ago in downtown Brooklyn on the Fulton Mall. That was before the slew of high-rises and was pretty reliant on the courts and Brooklyn municipal workers.
Apparently you care, otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to give background. Can't compare the two areas. Downtown Brooklyn is a shopping area/area for workers, with proximity to residential areas like Brooklyn Heights. Bigger catchment area. Downtown Brooklyn had been re-developed by then. I actually used to eat at the pizzeria that existed there before Shake Shack moved in. I worked in the area during for a few summers in high school, which was vastly different then.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:53 AM

36,931 posts, read 38,892,257 times
Quote:
Apparently you care, otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to give background. Can't compare the two areas. Downtown Brooklyn is a shopping area/area for workers, with proximity to residential areas like Brooklyn Heights. Bigger catchment area. Downtown Brooklyn had been re-developed by then. I actually used to eat at the pizzeria that existed there before Shake Shack moved in. I worked in the area during for a few summers in high school, which was vastly different then.

2011 when Shake Shack opened probably had more municipal workers in the area as some have been moved out, though I don't think it was clear that NYU was going to have its massive presence there or that there was going to be a massive luxury residential skyscraper boom when they were opening. Is 2011 downtown Brooklyn a perfect match? No, of course there's not going to be one, but it's the closest one I can think of due to borough hall and the courts which the two areas share. The differences are being further away from any ritzy residential neighborhoods, but potentially very close to a stadium*, and of course massive rising housing costs means that people who can afford Shake Shack have been pushed into some neighborhoods that would have been interesting choices a decade ago. There's also stuff like the Bronx Museum of Arts and the Andrew Freedman House that could sort of be within walking distance. If it isn't Shake Shack that opens within the next few years over there, then it'll be something else roughly in that price category.

*for anyone who wants to point out Barclays stadium, that didn't exist back then in 2011 and there's actually another Shake Shack that opened across the street from that stadium.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
2011 when Shake Shack opened probably had more municipal workers in the area as some have been moved out, though I don't think it was clear that NYU was going to have its massive presence there or that there was going to be a massive luxury residential skyscraper boom when they were opening. Is 2011 downtown Brooklyn a perfect match? No, of course there's not going to be one, but it's the closest one I can think of due to borough hall and the courts which the two areas share. The differences are being further away from any ritzy residential neighborhoods, but potentially very close to a stadium*, and of course massive rising housing costs means that people who can afford Shake Shack have been pushed into some neighborhoods that would have been interesting choices a decade ago. There's also stuff like the Bronx Museum of Arts and the Andrew Freedman House that could sort of be within walking distance. If it isn't Shake Shack that opens within the next few years over there, then it'll be something else roughly in that price category.

*for anyone who wants to point out Barclays stadium, that didn't exist back then in 2011 and there's actually another Shake Shack that opened across the street from that stadium.
If I compared Downtown Brooklyn to when I worked down there to even 2011, the transformations were happening down there well before Shake Shack came. It goes beyond demographics though. The Bronx Borough President has pumped millions into revitalizing and beautifying the Concourse area, and even with that, it hasn't taken off in the same way that the Downtown Brooklyn revitalization took off. You just have a lot more in Downtown Brooklyn compared to the Concourse area. The Bronx was just built differently. I can understand a Shake Shack at that mall, as it was built to attract middle class Bronxites to stop them from running to Westchester for their shopping, etc. How successful that is is another story. That upper middle class person from Riverdale or Country Club is still likely driving to Westchester.

Quite frankly, if it was meant to happen, it should've happened when the new Yankee Stadium opened up. I was at games when it first opened and that crowd ran to the game, ate primarily in the stadium (and why not when you can be served food right in your seat) and got the hell out of there afterwards. It's just not there yet where people feel free enough to walk around and explore, and dare I say it, but there's too much drug activity on the side streets and poverty. A Shake Shack maybe could do ok right by Yankee Stadium, and I mean west of Grand Concourse perhaps right along River Av, but everything surrounding the stadium is just blah. You have the loud subway overhead. It's not an environment where I can see a Shake Shack setting up, but time will tell I guess.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:34 AM

3,336 posts, read 1,215,908 times
Quote:
If I compared Downtown Brooklyn to when I worked down there to even 2011, the transformations were happening down there well before Shake Shack came. It goes beyond demographics though. The Bronx Borough President has pumped millions into revitalizing and beautifying the Concourse area, and even with that, it hasn't taken off in the same way that the Downtown Brooklyn revitalization took off. You just have a lot more in Downtown Brooklyn compared to the Concourse area. The Bronx was just built differently. I can understand a Shake Shack at that mall, as it was built to attract middle class Bronxites to stop them from running to Westchester for their shopping, etc. How successful that is is another story. That upper middle class person from Riverdale or Country Club is still likely driving to Westchester.

Quite frankly, if it was meant to happen, it should've happened when the new Yankee Stadium opened up. I was at games when it first opened and that crowd ran to the game, ate primarily in the stadium (and why not when you can be served food right in your seat) and got the hell out of there afterwards. It's just not there yet where people feel free enough to walk around and explore, and dare I say it, but there's too much drug activity on the side streets and poverty. A Shake Shack maybe could do ok right by Yankee Stadium, and I mean west of Grand Concourse perhaps right along River Av, but everything surrounding the stadium is just blah. You have the loud subway overhead. It's not an environment where I can see a Shake Shack setting up, but time will tell I guess.
Most people can't be served in their seats at YS.

But the new stadium wasn't going to make a difference. They drew great crowds the last 12-13 years of the old stadium- it wasn't like nobody was going and then all of the sudden started going because of the new stadium which has happened with some other mlb teams.In fact the last 5 years at the old stadium drew more fans than the new stadium ever has.

Nobody sticks around after the games for the reasons you mentioned.
Wrigleyvlille is filled with bars that are packed after Cubs games (pre covid) but it wasn't always like that. There really is just nothing to do for fans outside of YS.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Most people can't be served in their seats at YS.

But the new stadium wasn't going to make a difference. They drew great crowds the last 12-13 years of the old stadium- it wasn't like nobody was going and then all of the sudden started going because of the new stadium which has happened with some other mlb teams.

Nobody sticks around after the games for the reasons you mentioned.
Wrigleyvlille is filled with bars that are packed after Cubs games (pre covid) but it wasn't always like that. There really is just nothing to do for fans outside of YS.
You can be when you have good seats. Agreed about your other comments. You would have to bulldoze all of the surrounding blocks and start over. It always seemed like Yankee Stadium is just there, esp. when the new stadium opened.

I just checked food options there. They have Bareburger, so there's that.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:08 AM

25,343 posts, read 36,870,490 times
My Shake Shack of choice is on 86th between Third and Lex. Always delicious and wait times and prices are reasonable. I have not indulged myself since this pandemic began but hope to go back soon.

It really is the tastiest cheeseburger in the City.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:22 AM

867 posts, read 405,956 times
Quote:

Riverdale maybe not, it’s on the West, Country Club, Pelham Bay, Pelham Gardens, as well as Pelham Manor/Village of Pelham, and New Rochelle residents do shop at Bay Plaza, due to its proximity and are less likely to go to the Cross County mall.

The same way Starbucks opened there (Shake Shack is opening in the commercial space next to it) and could’ve been considered too pretentious, it’s is working amazing, and so will Shake Shack. Times have changed and Co-op city, on top of being a shopping destination, is nothing like a neighborhood like Hunts Point and much more like Westchester in the layout and the mentality.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:50 AM

5,571 posts, read 2,538,393 times
Quote:
You can be when you have good seats. Agreed about your other comments. You would have to bulldoze all of the surrounding blocks and start over. It always seemed like Yankee Stadium is just there, esp. when the new stadium opened.

I just checked food options there. They have Bareburger, so there's that.
There's a Checkers over by the Starbucks and Chipotle on 161
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City