Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 03:04 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Isn't this the job of the Sanitation Department?

There's less than 10k dsny personnel. This is a minimum wage govt jobs programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 03:06 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Isn't this the job of the Sanitation Department?
This is light stuff compared to the grand realm of what DSNY is responsible for. Unless you want DSNY to expand their services.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-07-2021, 04:26 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Without any cleaning? No, there'd be trash and grime everywhere. You do need some level of maintenance. Japanese citizens are incredibly good about cleaning up after themselves, but they still run an incredible amount of cleaning and sanitation because there's a lot of detritus that builds without individuals necessarily having a direct hand in it which is why Tokyo has such a massive cleaning and sanitation crew despite pretty law-abiding citizens who do a great job of cleaning up after themselves.

Even your Burning Man example bucks the idea of individual responsibility by itself being sufficient to not having trash all over. The ethos of people individually looking after themselves is good, and it's certainly something that should be instilled within New Yorkers, but Burning Man also has a large crew and their equipment that spends two weeks after nine days of the festival doing cleanup.

It's good and right to ask for and to push for personal responsibility and I'm definitely for repercussions for littering, social shaming, and civility and cleanliness to be taught within schools, but it's not sufficient for the large and complex trappings of a densely urbanized city (or even not that densely urbanized town). I think this is a reasonable, good step in the right direction.
I think you missed my point. My point was people SHOULD care enough to clean up after themselves. Yes we will always need sanitation dept/street cleaners ect. But everyone SHOULD actually clean up after themselves. Its messed up how dirty and disgusting people are and think eh I can do what I want and someone else will clean it up.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:44 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I think you missed my point. My point was people SHOULD care enough to clean up after themselves. Yes we will always need sanitation dept/street cleaners ect. But everyone SHOULD actually clean up after themselves. Its messed up how dirty and disgusting people are and think eh I can do what I want and someone else will clean it up.
Great point. New yorkers are so filthy. They have also become accustomed to living in their filth. When I tell strangers not to throw garbage on the sidewalk in front our property they look at me like I have 2 heads.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:57 PM

621 posts, read 240,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is light stuff compared to the grand realm of what DSNY is responsible for. Unless you want DSNY to expand their services.

Why don't deBlasio just increase the Sanitation budget AND they can increase their scope? Didn't he cut the department's budget at least once during his tenure? I wish the do-nothing City Council would override some his initiatives. For a guy with 7 months to go, he's doing the most!

Old 04-07-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Why don't deBlasio just increase the Sanitation budget AND they can increase their scope? Didn't he cut the department's budget at least once during his tenure? I wish the do-nothing City Council would override some his initiatives. For a guy with 7 months to go, he's doing the most!
Because he wants to be a hero, think he's giving 10,000 people jobs. In reality he probably took decent jobs from those 10,000 people by making businesses stayed closed the last year. So they lost their job and now have to clean the city

Old 04-07-2021, 05:18 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
It should be a law that any area run by BID should be spotless.

The city should have street cleaners in every single commercial street.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
It should be a law that any area run by BID should be spotless.

The city should have street cleaners in every single commercial street.
They have street cleaners but they rarely can sweep the streets properly due to people being parked their when they shouldn't. I watch the cleaners around my way. If cars are in the way the just skip it and keep it moving.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
By inadequate cleaning? Workers chilling on the job?
What do you think?

Old 04-07-2021, 07:54 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
They have street cleaners but they rarely can sweep the streets properly due to people being parked their when they shouldn't. I watch the cleaners around my way. If cars are in the way the just skip it and keep it moving.
Street sweepers are a joke. It's a way for the city to rack up revenue via fines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: