Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 10:53 AM

1,034 posts, read 446,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Well for one, I don't believe that NYC deserves good cops anymore, so anything that stops strong applicants from taking the job is a good thing in my mind. NYC deserves a police force that will work for peanuts and bread crumbs, because that's how they treat them.

When 99% of the time police interactions go perfectly, but the populace treats the cops as if the 1% of bad interactions are the norm (even when those bad actions happen across the country), then in my opinion, the populace should have to deal with a police force that actually performs in such manner 100% of the time.

If you've been reading here for awhile, you'd have noticed that I am all for "defund the police". I say it all the time. If good cops won't get through their heads that policing is done, then hopefully "defunding" will force it on them before they get themselves hurt or thrown in jail for the cretins wielding overwhelming voting power in NYC currently.
Your opinion here is invalid because you already got your pension.

In past decades, the NYPD was a jobs programs for Italians and Irish. Now it's a jobs program for more and more Blacks ,Hispanics , and to a lesser extent various immigrant groups..

So these guys dont deserve a pension?

If "defund the police" meant defunding your pension, you'd be singing a different tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 12:00 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I hate to break it to you, but this is still America. You don't get to decide who's opinion matters and who's doesn't.

The only people who get to decide that are the cucks who do it to themselves because they are afraid of cancel culture. I am not one of those people.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough when I discussed "tiers". The way it works in NY is that the legislature creates a new tier and all new hires fall under that tier. So my opinion does not affect any current cops. It would only affect new ones hired after the law changed. I don't care about "the unborn": they aren't cops. If they choose to take the job with the new terms, that was their choice as free Americans.

As for the race nonsense, go talk to someone else about that. I'm not race obsessed and my statements have less than zero to do with race.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-10-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but this is still America. You don't get to decide who's opinion matters and who's doesn't.

The only people who get to decide that are the cucks who do it to themselves because they are afraid of cancel culture. I am not one of those people.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough when I discussed "tiers". The way it works in NY is that the legislature creates a new tier and all new hires fall under that tier. So my opinion does not affect any current cops. It would only affect new ones hired after the law changed. I don't care about "the unborn": they aren't cops. If they choose to take the job with the new terms, that was their choice as free Americans.

As for the race nonsense, go talk to someone else about that. I'm not race obsessed and my statements have less than zero to do with race.
I'm not race obsessed either but you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It's just reality. I know all about city pension tiers.

Advocating for taking away (by far) the best/most lucrative perk of the job when you yourself have benefited from that perk is a bit odd, no? Is that what they call "**** you, I got mine" or "pulling the ladder up behind you"?

Even with the current political environment there are still.plenty of people who'd take the job because it pays well and has that pension.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:40 PM

...and I hope to save them from themselves!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-10-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
...and I hope to save them from themselves!
Saving them from a good wage plus great benefits /pension plan?

Old 04-10-2021, 09:03 PM

There's places where being a cop still means more than benefits.

Those who should be cops need to go there. Those who want benefits and pensions only are free to **** themselves for NYC cretins.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
There's places where being a cop still means more than benefits.

Those who should be cops need to go there. Those who want benefits and pensions only are free to **** themselves for NYC cretins.
So you got yours and now you're telling others it's not worth it?

How come you didn't go and become a cop in podunk, USA for half the wages and pension? I'm sure plenty of PDs were hiring throughout your career.

Bro, do you not see your own hypocrisy on this?

Old 04-11-2021, 08:45 AM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
So you got yours and now you're telling others it's not worth it?

How come you didn't go and become a cop in podunk, USA for half the wages and pension? I'm sure plenty of PDs were hiring throughout your career.

Bro, do you not see your own hypocrisy on this?
The NYPD is the lowest paid cops in the tri state region. They are having trouble attracting and retaining qualified candidates. The cops are treated like garbage from the public, politicians and their very own supervisors. Hundreds of cops were injured in the riots. Thousands of NYPD cops caught covid. A number of them lost their lives. Yes years ago it was a desirable job. The idea that being a cop at this very moment is an attractive job is laughable. Also cops are retiring in record numbers. Those years of experience are not easily replaced.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
The NYPD is the lowest paid cops in the tri state region. They are having trouble attracting and retaining qualified candidates. The cops are treated like garbage from the public, politicians and their very own supervisors. Hundreds of cops were injured in the riots. Thousands of NYPD cops caught covid. A number of them lost their lives. Yes years ago it was a desirable job. The idea that being a cop at this very moment is an attractive job is laughable. Also cops are retiring in record numbers. Those years of experience are not easily replaced.
"Lowest paid" in the tri-state is relative. What other job guarantees $85K after 5 years and a pension after 22 years for what is essentially a HS degree?

Maybe I'm wrong here but I don't think many would be cops are choosing between medical/dental/ CS at Stanford and becoming an NYPD officer.

Minimum 85K+ after 5 years and a pension after 22 years is probably better than 80% of jobs in the US. Both private and public. That's not even mentioning that the requirement is essentially a HS degree. It's still.plenty desirable.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:54 PM

What a neat, new creative way to degrade cops: act as if everyone else is a dentist, doctor or Stanford professor.

You know else cops aren't? Stuck up white leftists saddled with debt, "allying" and working at Starbucks even though they do have a Stanford education.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City