Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 01:12 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
"Lowest paid" in the tri-state is relative. What other job guarantees $85K after 5 years and a pension after 22 years for what is essentially a HS degree?

Maybe I'm wrong here but I don't think many would be cops are choosing between medical/dental/ CS at Stanford and becoming an NYPD officer.

Minimum 85K+ after 5 years and a pension after 22 years is probably better than 80% of jobs in the US. Both private and public. That's not even mentioning that the requirement is essentially a HS degree. It's still.plenty desirable.
If it is so desirable please explain why they are having difficulty finding qualified candidates? I disagree with you. I did the job. I know the people on that job. It is not as desirable as you would like to claim. HS degree. Last I looked you need 60 college credits with the only exception is military service. https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/caree...po-hiring.page

Last edited by retiredcop111; 04-11-2021 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 01:24 PM

1,034 posts, read 445,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What a neat, new creative way to degrade cops: act as if everyone else is a dentist, doctor or Stanford professor.

You know else cops aren't? Stuck up white leftists saddled with debt, "allying" and working at Starbucks even though they do have a Stanford education.
Has nothing to do with degrading or not degrading. That's the reality.
It's a great job for the requirements. Claiming otherwise is simply not true. A huge part of the anti-police mentality from young white woke-ists IS due to jealousy while they work minimum wage and have $60K in college debt. I bring that up all the time on here.

Claiming that no good cop would stay in the NYPD is not degrading?

You got yours and now you're advocating that what you got isn't worth it. Doesn't make sense.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:34 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
Quote:
Has nothing to do with degrading or not degrading. That's the reality.
It's a great job for the requirements. Claiming otherwise is simply not true. A huge part of the anti-police mentality from young white woke-ists IS due to jealousy while they work minimum wage and have $60K in college debt. I bring that up all the time on here.

You got yours and now you're advocating that what you got isn't worth it. Doesn't make sense.
Again please explain why the NYPD is having such difficulty attracting qualified candidates if the job is so desirable.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:03 PM

926 posts, read 416,690 times
Quote:

The requirements are not just a high school diploma, though. Like we said, the NYPD requires 60 credits => about 2 years of college. Other departments require a BA or BS.

Plus, academic degrees are not the be-all and end-all of everything. I'm a multilingual, multicultural person with a graduate degree... but I couldn't do what LEO do (at least, those that are on patrol). Many of the jealous young white woke-ists you mentioned probably couldn't, either.
But they have been brainwashed to believe that if you have a degree, you are automatically worth more - which is absolutely not true.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 890,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
But they have been brainwashed to believe that if you have a degree, you are automatically worth more - which is absolutely not true.
Which is a shame because the "hs dropout manual labor ditch digger" is 9/10 times worth more to society and his bank account.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
If it is so desirable please explain why they are having difficulty finding qualified candidates? I disagree with you. I did the job. I know the people on that job. It is not as desirable as you would like to claim.
I'll give you a few:

1. The NYPD has trouble finding qualified candidates precisely because the requirements are low relative to the pay/benefits. Due to the low requirements many better potential candidates see the job in a poor light aka "if I went to college, why would I apply to a job that doesn't even require college?"

2. For obvious reasons, the NYPD doesn't like to advertise how lucrative the pay/benefits/pension can be after the initial 5 years.

3. It's a city job and onboarding takes time. It often takes years , a lot of paperwork, and bureaucracy to get hired. The better qualified candidates are more likely to have found something by then.

4. Politics. The NYPD/city don't want to attract "better" candidates because that means white/ Asian candidates.

Last edited by Bklynball; 04-11-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
The requirements are not just a high school diploma, though. Like we said, the NYPD requires 60 credits => about 2 years of college. Other departments require a BA or BS.

Plus, academic degrees are not the be-all and end-all of everything. I'm a multilingual, multicultural person with a graduate degree... but I couldn't do what LEO do (at least, those that are on patrol). Many of the jealous young white woke-ists you mentioned probably couldn't, either.
Totally agree with you. I think plenty could do the job but like you mentioned many are too messed up by their colleges and think it's a "bad" job.

Plenty also don't realize what the pay/bennies/pension are and just parrot that starting pay is low and think that they'll all find a job making $100K out of college.

Then they "freelance" and work at restaurants for 10 years making $30-40K and realize how the real world actually works.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:01 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
I am all for "defund the police". I say it all the time.
So you support the BLM's mission, you just don't like the insulting way the 20 year olds do it
They have the right idea, it's just the style that's off, defund the police but just do it respectfully.
You're not really that far apart on this fundamentally

Old 04-11-2021, 05:11 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
The police do far too much because most people are weak and need to be able to call real men and women to handle business. Any cop will tell you that.

So 50% of my view of "defund the police" is based on that. Take away all of the current responsibilities that should be handled either by other agencies that get away with murder or the citizens themselves.

The other 50% is based on saving good cops from themselves.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-11-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
The police do far too much because most people are weak and need to be able to call real men and women to handle business. Any cop will tell you that.

So 50% of my view of "defund the police" is based on that. Take away all of the current responsibilities that should be handled either by other agencies that get away with murder or the citizens themselves.

The other 50% is based on saving good cops from themselves.
Let's be real. If NYC allowed for widespread legal gun ownership, we would need half the amount of cops. In this regard NYPD is part of the problem. They like having the monopoly on legal guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City