Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 03:21 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,299,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
For someone with so much traveling experience, your knowledge of such matters such as these is rather limited. I've traveled extensively and have lived abroad and am much younger than you are, and "somehow" I knew how common contactless payments are abroad, but you don't. Strange... I guess that's what happens when you're so busy trying to make assumptions about other people.

I don't make assumptions, and do remember that you spent extended time in limited parts of the world (primarily Italy). Obviously, I know that contactless payments have existed for a long time, but I never needed to make them, so did not care about details of the procedure. I still would not care, except that NYC will apparently phase out the Metrocard. If it didn't, I wouldn't care to get familiar with this OMNY either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 03:37 PM

12,746 posts, read 8,195,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I don't make assumptions, and do remember that you spent extended time in limited parts of the world (primarily Italy). Obviously, I know that contactless payments have existed for a long time, but I never needed to make them, so did not care about details of the procedure. I still would not care, except that NYC will apparently phase out the Metrocard. If it didn't, I wouldn't care to get familiar with this OMNY either.
Well you have a few years to familiarize yourself with contactless payments before the Metrocard is gone, so perhaps you'll start practicing soon.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:54 PM

7,884 posts, read 7,790,148 times
I hate it. I hope it dies before it even starts.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:18 PM

12,746 posts, read 8,195,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I hate it. I hope it dies before it even starts.
You hate technology? Good luck with anything changing...

Old 04-09-2021, 06:45 PM

36,964 posts, read 38,977,429 times
Quote:
Well, I do not have or have used a contactless credit card, which has not been a problem anywhere abroad (the card does have a chip and a code). The card is coming up for renewal, and the next one will be contactless.

I generally pay everything that can be paid online from the US, so my purchases abroad tend to be very minor - usually nothing other than city transportation, food, and a couple of souvenir t-shirts. Most of that I tend to pay with cash.

I just wonder about people on this forum whose lives must be truly so limited and miserable that they can't even believe anybody else ever does anything that isn't miserable :-).

Btw, my most recent travel abroad was to Southeast Asia in the fall of 2019, so not in the previous century. The credit card with a chip worked normally.

In the fall of 2019, pretty much every major transit system in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, and parts of the Philippines used contactless cards, so it's interesting that you were able to avoid it. I think you saying credit card with a chip might signal that we're talking about different things. Having a chip on a credit card does not necessarily mean that you cannot use it as a contactless card and it's not necessarily a credit card that's directly used in "tapping" in for a transit system.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In the fall of 2019, pretty much every major transit system in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, and parts of the Philippines used contactless cards, so it's interesting that you were able to avoid it. I think you saying credit card with a chip might signal that we're talking about different things. Having a chip on a credit card does not necessarily mean that you cannot use it as a contactless card and it's not necessarily a credit card that's directly used in "tapping" in for a transit system.

At Singapore airport, I bought an EZ-Link card pre-loaded with $50. I guess that is a contactless card, but I bought it from a live person at the transportation kiosk, and I bought it with my credit card. I used it for two weeks in Singapore, and it still had about $15 on it, which they refunded to me at he airport when I was flying out. In Bangkok, I bought single-ride Skytrain tickets with coins (they are incredibly cheap). I suppose those tickets were also what you call contactless. But you do not need a contactless credit card or contactless cellphone to ride public transportation in either city.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
At Singapore airport, I bought an EZ-Link card pre-loaded with $50. I guess that is a contactless card, but I bought it from a live person at the transportation kiosk, and I bought it with my credit card. I used it for two weeks in Singapore, and it still had about $15 on it, which they refunded to me at he airport when I was flying out. In Bangkok, I bought single-ride Skytrain tickets with coins (they are incredibly cheap). I suppose those tickets were also what you call contactless. But you do not need a contactless credit card or contactless cellphone to ride public transportation in either city.

Yes, those are contactless cards and some of the systems (Singapore's and some others) can also take contactless credit cards or NFC from your phone if you have that set up. OMNY is like that, but the rollout is the opposite way around with first contactless credits or NFC from your phone, and then a rollout of a dedicated separate card with all of these being usable.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, those are contactless cards and some of the systems (Singapore's and some others) can also take contactless credit cards or NFC from your phone if you have that set up. OMNY is like that, but the rollout is the opposite way around with first contactless credits or NFC from your phone, and then a rollout of a dedicated separate card with all of these being usable.

As far as contactless goes, the only thing that matters to me is whether I can buy a ride with credit card (or cash), the way I buy a Metrocard (as opposed to needing a cellphone, and needing to have an online account with the transportation system). In Singapore I bought the pass from a live person (with my credit card), and in Bangkok I bought tickets from a machine (with coins). Although the tickets were contactless, the whole system was not contactless, since I bought these tickets by old methods that were not contactless - that is what I meant by not using a contactless system.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
As far as contactless goes, the only thing that matters to me is whether I can buy a ride with credit card (or cash), the way I buy a Metrocard (as opposed to needing a cellphone, and needing to have an online account with the transportation system). In Singapore I bought the pass from a live person (with my credit card), and in Bangkok I bought tickets from a machine (with coins). Although the tickets were contactless, the whole system was not contactless, since I bought these tickets by old methods that were not contactless - that is what I meant by not using a contactless system.

I guess it's a bit hard to understand.

Your existing credit card, which you're talking about using as payment, has a pretty decent chance of already having the ability to do contactless transactions *directly*. Not all credit cards have that feature, but many of them do now though the holders of the credit card may not necessarily be aware of such. If your credit card or debit card already has that ability, then you're saving yourself a step by not having to go to the machine to load up a card or ticket in the first place. This is as it is in Singapore though you may have not been aware of such at the time and so opted to go buy a pass from a live person anyways who may not have thought it a good use of time or their job to explain the other options to you.

If you do not want to save that extra step or if for whatever reason none of your credit or debit cards have that option (for example, you only use Amex cards which as far as I know generally don't have this ability) and you have not set up Apple or Google Pay, then for now and probably a couple of years afterwarsds, you can still buy Metrocards as you're accustomed to. Eventually that will be replaced with a dedicated OMNY card that will be essentially the same as the Metrocard in that it's a dedicated separate card you can purchase via cash or credit from a kiosk with the difference being that you tap or put the card in close vicinity to the reader rather than swipe it (as you did in Singapore).

Old 04-10-2021, 05:01 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,341,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Of course it's not taking off now, why bother changing anything when you have a perfectly good MetroCard and don't have to hand MTA your credit card info? But AFAIK, MetroCards are getting phased out eventually, and this will be the only option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
There's been a million threads on this already.

If you don't have a smartphone or smart watch, you can get a refillable tap card that works just the same. It's the same as a Metrocard, except you don't swipe it, you just tap.
If GA has it NY should too but there is a program for those who live in poverty to have access to a basic smart phone. As for cards, you can pre-fill it like a debit card using cash. (This would be for those without a credit card)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
OMNY will be the only way to pay by 2023
I still use a Metrocard, but once they phase those out, people will be using OMNY
I doubt they will be able to do it by 2023.

[quote=Dave 92 LSC;60783193]What if you don’t have a phone ? How do you pay for subway.[/QUOTE

GGG2020: I don't like using my card and amidst govt surveillance I am wary of them having access to where I have been. However, im experience, metro cards have been a piece of s****. They always malfunction on me and then the ticket people look at you (like the tram person) like you're an idiot afterknow u literally just bought the damn card. Real life and this happened the same day too.

Last edited by DreamerD; 04-10-2021 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: