Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 03:32 PM

2,450 posts, read 971,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley718 View Post
Did anyone apply to this program? I actually selected a program that is out-of-district, because it is affiliated with the YMCA, and my child was accepted. But M-F, 8am-6pm....that's intense, no?
There is a waiting list by me. I don't think the parents or the kids realize this is basically going to be summer school. Homework, testing, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 03:42 PM

79 posts, read 156,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
There is a waiting list by me. I don't think the parents or the kids realize this is basically going to be summer school. Homework, testing, etc...
That's concerning to me. I want my kid to have a "fun" summer, especially in light of the past year. I have her on a waitlist for an overnight camp she's been begging to return to, but if it doesn't pan out, this program is my back-up.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:46 AM

882 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Quote:
Did anyone apply to this program? I actually selected a program that is out-of-district, because it is affiliated with the YMCA, and my child was accepted. But M-F, 8am-6pm....that's intense, no?
I did and my son got accepted at a location facilitated by the YMCA near our home, but I'm not moving forward with it because Monday - Friday from 8 AM to 6 PM is incredibly intense for the summer! It will be hot, there's a chance these old school buildings won't have a/c and a 7 week commitment is a big chunk of the summer! Also, this program is free, which means there may be a lot of kids there who don't want to be there and may disrupt learning altogether.

I also wonder, who will be teaching in these programs? Will the teachers be certified? NONE of the teachers in my son's current school said that they'll be participating in the program. So I have registered my son at our local Y for summer day camp for the month of July. I am still working from home so in August, I'll take a couple weeks off and we can enjoy the time together. I plan on signing him up for some online enrichment programs to help with the summer slide but I have serious side eyes about this program considering the spectacle that was this current school year!

Old 06-02-2021, 02:26 PM

644 posts, read 306,894 times
Quote:
We applied and haven't heard a peep. I hope the program isn't very intense - was told the kids are only in school half the day, and at the Y next door the rest of the day. But really I'm not sure it's even happening. It's crazy, cause we need to know if we should be making a backup plan...

Old 06-03-2021, 04:30 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
NYC’s Expansive Summer School Program May Be Hard to Pull Off. And there's the rub.

https://gothamist.com/news/nycs-expa...2e6df-91331958

Officials have said they will be able to accommodate 200,000 students.

But while educators across the city are praising the concept, many said they are worried about pulling it off. The program is set to launch in early July, and nonprofit providers said they are still seeking key information on how the program will work. Some principals said they are struggling to staff the academic components, and some parents have reported difficulty signing up.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:28 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IForgotMyOldAccount View Post
a summer program cant replace what a year lost?

NYC public school system needs to adopt Germany. Teach trades craft or skills that employers want today with the option of college on the table. Many don't attend University due to cost, so we should stop educating our kids as college being the end goal for HS. They don't need to learn calculus trigonometry or why the French Revolution started if they will forget it at age 21. Wikipedia, Books and Reddit exists for that. First real job they get never use any of that knowledge because job doesn't require it. World building and "general" knowledge can be acquired on your own time. You should be going to school with an agenda and to learn how to become a productive member of society upon graduation. So if you wanna be a mechanic that's what you learn in HS. If you wanna go to college, then master the SAT and participate in extracurricular activities. If you want to be in IT then take boot camp coding courses while in HS. If you want to serve your country, create ROC programs for youths.
exactly. I went to a specialized high school and still learned almost nothing relevant in the real word. The teacher who taught me the most was an economics teacher who didn't even teach us the worthless garbage he was supposed to. Instead he taught us about things like how the stock market works, balancing a checkbook, the perils of credit card debt/how compound interest works etc. All of those things should be taught in school and none of them are.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:18 AM

Summer school waitlists and rejections spark confusion among NYC families. But, of course.

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2021/6/11/2...list-rejection

After more than a year of full-time remote learning, Queens mom Kwan Southerland was excited to sign her 7-year-old daughter up for the city’s in-person summer school program, available for the first time to any city resident.

But over a month after submitting applications to multiple summer school sites, Southerland received a puzzling email: Her daughter was not accepted because the program is “full at this time.” The message didn’t include information about alternate locations with openings. Another summer school location she applied to has yet to respond.

The rejection surprised Southerland. Southerland isn’t alone.

Parents across the city have received messages indicating that they have not been accepted to the summer school programs they applied to, or have been waitlisted. The messages have sparked confusion because it’s unclear if the city will ultimately match every family with a summer school that has openings and how that process might unfold.

The city has promised a summer school slot for any New York City student who wants one, rather than just students who fell behind during the year, and its website promises that “no student will be turned away.” Many parents said they are excited about the program, known as Summer Rising, because it will combine academics and enrichment activities including field trips and games. The program runs each day until 6 p.m. for elementary students and 4 p.m. for middle schoolers. (High school schedules vary.)

Old 06-30-2021, 09:08 AM

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2021/6/29/2...ility-homeless

NYC to pay for summer school taxis for homeless students and those with disabilities after facing criticism from advocates

Old 06-30-2021, 10:10 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
exactly. I went to a specialized high school and still learned almost nothing relevant in the real word. The teacher who taught me the most was an economics teacher who didn't even teach us the worthless garbage he was supposed to. Instead he taught us about things like how the stock market works, balancing a checkbook, the perils of credit card debt/how compound interest works etc. All of those things should be taught in school and none of them are.
Do you know people from then who did better than you in school? Are any of them doing better than you in life after high school?

I do think having schools for trade skills makes sense, and I think dijon mustard in cole slaw is great.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:34 AM

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2021/7/6/22...chool-nyc-open

Chess, soccer, sitting in an auditorium: NYC’s summer school program opens with a bumpy start

Excitement, nervousness and confusion were palpable on Henry Street in Lower Manhattan, where over a hundred parents lined up next to P.S. 2 with their children on Tuesday morning, day one of the city’s summer school program.

Some parents, like Victoria Yang, were excited that the city had opened the summer program, called Summer Rising, to all students, not just those who were behind academically. “If [my son] stays home, he’ll just play on the iPad all day long,” Yang said, adding that she was grateful her son, a rising fourth grader, would get a chance to interact with other kids after a school year marked by limited peer-to-peer interaction.

Students, too, were enthusiastic, jumping up and down and exchanging waves and jokes with friends whom they spotted in a line that extended for more than 150 feet. Other parents, though, seemed frustrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City