Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Rich POC Face Less Racism in the City or Suburbs
City 2 40.00%
Suburbs 2 40.00%
No Difference 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 05:25 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCRIDER View Post
I think that gets to the heart of the matter, like for instance a black person on the Upper Eastside woulds get stopped more than a black person living in Alpine, NJ

which is a difference between 3% black population and 6% black population
In my mind, you have more well-to-do blacks in the suburbs than in the City. In Westchester, towns like Mamaroneck come to mind, which has some blacks that earn well. The Upper East Side... lol Even in Yorkville, which is the less "ritzy" part of the Upper East Side generally speaking (though you do have some exceptions to that rule), you don't see many black people, let alone living there, and I frequent the area often. It is not very diverse in general, and usually that diversity comes via Asians if anything. I didn't mention Latinos either because I don't see many Latino residents either there. Working there sure... Living there... Not so much.

When I think about some buildings in the City especially, diversity is not what I think of. Sad but true... lol NYC is still very much an "old boys club". The jobs that pay well with the connections tend to be controlled by whites. Just the way it is... That hasn't changed much either. I speak as someone whose office building does not have much diversity either. We have a lot of professions that are sort of part of the old boys club... Lawyers, hedge fund companies... Those sorts of businesses... Mainly white...

Your comment about the Upper East Side makes me think back to a black guy who I read about in the news who apparently faced a lot of racism. He was often treated as if he was not the owner of his company, but someone of a lower level.

The Kenneth Fraziers of the world are still the exception and not the rule. I watched an interview with him some months ago on CNBC though, and he's been more outspoken of late about trying to turn the tide of having blacks in high positions like himself, but who knows how long he will be the CEO of Merck? He's set to retire soon. I suppose maybe he will work more on this once he's retired. I believe the discrepancy is actually worse with Latinos though in high positions, like CEO, etc., compared to blacks.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 04-18-2021 at 05:38 PM..

Old 04-18-2021, 05:36 PM

18 posts, read 9,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
In my mind, you have more well-to-do blacks in the suburbs than in the City. In Westchester, towns like Mamroneck come to mind, which has some blacks that earn well. The Upper East Side... lol Even in Yorkville, which is the less "ritzy" part of the Upper East Side generally speaking (though you do have some exceptions to that rule), you don't see many black people, let alone living there, and I frequent the area often. It is not very diverse in general, and usually that diversity comes via Asians if anything. I didn't mention Latinos either because I don't see many Latino residents either there. Working there sure... Living there... Not so much.

When I think about some buildings in the City especially, diversity is not what I think of. Sad but true... lol NYC is still very much an "old boys club". The jobs that pay well with the connections tend to be controlled by whites. Just the way it is... That hasn't changed much either. I speak as someone whose office building does not have much diversity either. We have a lot of professions that are sort of part of the old boys club... Lawyers, hedge fund companies... Those sorts of businesses... Mainly white...

Your comment about the Upper East Side makes me think back to a black guy who I read about in the news who apparently faced a lot of racism. He was often treated as if he was not the owner of his company, but someone of a lower level.

The Kenneth Fraziers of the world are still the exception and not the rule. I watched an interview with him some months ago on CNBC though, and he's been more outspoken of late about trying to turn the tide of having blacks in high positions like himself, but who knows how long he will be the CEO of Merck? He's set to retire soon. I suppose maybe he will work more on this once he's retired. I believe the discrepancy is actually worse with Latinos though in high positions, like CEO, etc., compared to blacks.
rich blacks are going to have to do something about crime and lack of education,but they can only do so much, it is all about bad parents, plus you have Dems telling the criminals, it's not their own fault it's slavery

Old 04-18-2021, 05:37 PM

926 posts, read 417,326 times
Quote:
I think that gets to the heart of the matter, like for instance a black person on the Upper Eastside woulds get stopped more than a black person living in Alpine
"A black person" doesn't mean much, in my opinion. There are all kinds of blacks, with different manners, and they give very different vibes.

If your black person looks and acts like a criminal deadbeat, then yes he will be more likely to "get stopped" on the UWS. If he acts suspiciously.
Now, if your black person looks and acts like a quality gentleman, then no he won't "get stopped". Because there would be absolutely no reason to.

This, by the way, is true for everyone, not just for blacks.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:44 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
rich blacks are going to have to do something about crime and lack of education,but they can only do so much, it is all about bad parents, plus you have Dems telling the criminals, it's not their own fault it's slavery
There are a number of issues that blacks and Latinos have to overcome which was discussed...

-Build up wealth... More education with regards to investing...

-Build up connections in the white collar world

-Education... This is changing, but without the connections, not much of a change will happen.

-Blacks and Hispanics still face discrimination in terms of housing and jobs even if they are qualified. The Asian population is diverse, but a number of the ethnic groups focus heavily on education and in fields that they make $$$ in. In fact, the Asian income levels are higher than the white population, though you do have plenty of poor Asians. Doesn't mean they don't face discrimination because they do as well, and also have numbers are low in high managerial positions.

The black and Latino populations are often not seen in a good light by the media either, which doesn't help. A few feel good stories about black and Latino owned businesses, but those are usually overshadowed by things like crime, drugs and the like. Take the Dominicans for example. Many of them are small business owners, but you don't hear much about that. You hear more about them being drug dealers and living in poverty. It's all about what narrative the media wants to drive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City