Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 06:07 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I have to agree with you. Drive through any "ghetto area", and what's the predominant "vibe"? The place is a mess! Answer me this, just because you're "poor", does it mean that you can afford at least a broom, a dustpan, a garbage can, and you can't learn how to use them? Most urban areas, have garbage collection provided by the municipality, you can't take the trash to the curb, on collection day, instead, you just throw it around??

"Inner city" areas tend to be a mess, and that doesn't happen by itself. I've never seen a house regurgitate it's contents out into the yard and driveway.....it's residents do!

Right, garbage is unpleasant, and it is obvious how to use a garbage can or garbage collection services. But the major problem with ghetto culture is crime, which is not just unpleasant, but is very substantially dangerous - and chiefly so to people who live in low-income areas, because they are the overwhelming majority of crime victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why do people choose to be bank robbers? Why do people choose any path that's detrimental to themselves, or society? Why do you place no blame on the system that creates the conditions that you currently loathe? Mind-boggling. The system allows the conditions to exist.

People choose to be bank robbers because they like the aggressive sense of control and thrill that bank robbing gives them (and because, needless to say, they like to rapidly get a lot of money that other people have earned by long toil). They see that path as beneficial (not detrimental) to themselves, and they either do not care about being detrimental to the others, or actively enjoy being detrimental to the others. That is why they choose to be bank robbers.

"The system" certainly does not create any conditions for robbing banks - on the contrary, it tries very hard to create conditions that prevent robbing banks.

I think you are so indoctrinated by an absurd ideology that you can't even see when it lacks any logic at all.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:28 AM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
People choose to be bank robbers because they like the aggressive sense of control and thrill that bank robbing gives them (and because, needless to say, they like to rapidly get a lot of money that other people have earned by long toil). They see that path as beneficial (not detrimental) to themselves, and they either do not care about being detrimental to the others, or actively enjoy being detrimental to the others. That is why they choose to be bank robbers.

"The system" certainly does not create any conditions for robbing banks - on the contrary, it tries very hard to create conditions that prevent robbing banks.

I think you are so indoctrinated by an absurd ideology that you can't even see when it lacks any logic at all.
You know why people choose to be bank robbers? On what are you basing this, scientific study?

Well the system is perfect in your eyes, so I'll leave you with your beliefs.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-20-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
You know why people choose to be bank robbers? On what are you basing this, scientific study?

Well the system is perfect in your eyes, so I'll leave you with your beliefs.

I know the obvious, same as everybody knows it. But I did actually hear about it in the course of training at scientific institutions :-). Med students are actually told to use Sutton's Law in working through differential diagnosis, ie, to pursue testing for the most likely diagnosis first, or in popular jargon "to look where the money is". Sutton was a bank robber in the 1920s, and when he was arrested and brought to trial, the judge asked him why he chose to rob banks. Baffled by the question with the obvious answer, Sutton replied "because banks are where the money is". For that, the "system" put him in prison for 33 years.

I don't think the system is perfect, ie, in terms of robbing banks, I think the system is worse than in the 1920s, because in the 1920s the system created better conditions to prevent Sutton from robbing banks (since he could not rob them while he was locked up. I don't know his further fate, don't know if he was locked up for the entire 33 years, or if he even lived to be released from prison).

But if you are driving at the "argument" that the system creates poverty which drives people to robbing banks, I can easily refute that by telling you that I have used what the "system" legally offered to people to survive (and to furthermore get out of poverty), without ever remotely considering to rob a bank. The system offers every US citizen legal options of survival and improvement (and, as a non-US citizen for the major part of my life, I never had rights to most of these options offered to American-born people... I only had one option, ie, a minimal stipend for graduate study at a state university in the US, and you bet I put all of my time and energy into that option).

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-20-2021 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 10:53 AM

72 posts, read 23,572 times
Well, I guess why people on this discussion fear that loss of billionaires and millionaires in the City. I would not want to lose anymore then we need to. Sure tax policy should be adjusted to lower taxes to the middle class. City drives more middle class people out of the city then the ultra wealthy. However, upon thinking critically I am just asking, how much does a ultra rich person pay in taxes to the City. I guess the presumption is that if a billionaire leaves the city that he/she would be fleeing with jobs they have created here or with taxes they have paid here. But is that just a presumption ? How many of them are actually contributing so dramatically to the City ? They may only live here briefly, and have homes in various states anday have lots of tax incentives for their companies if they employ people here at all.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:57 AM

In regards to garbage in the inner city. I know one thing I see people littering from their car in the inner City while they drive thru it, who may not live there who would never do that where they live. So if the presumption is people in the inner city lack decency and pride then people from outside the inner city would have the decency to not litter when passing thru a poorer area. I live in the inner city and pick up the litter from time to time in my neighborhood alone and quietly.

Last edited by Mydadwasamarine; 04-20-2021 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 11:33 AM

1,034 posts, read 445,679 times
Quote:
Why do people choose to be bank robbers? Why do people choose any path that's detrimental to themselves, or society? Why do you place no blame on the system that creates the conditions that you currently loathe? Mind-boggling. The system allows the conditions to exist.
People rob banks for easy money brosef. It's not detrimental to oneself u less you get caught. We all do things that are detrimental to society. That's besides the point. It's why we have laws to operate within.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
People rob banks for easy money brosef. It's not detrimental to oneself u less you get caught. We all do things that are detrimental to society. That's besides the point. It's why we have laws to operate within.
I grew up with kids who as teens sold drugs and robbed. The majority of us kids did not. The inner city did provide that as a legitimate option seemingly. Sociopaths choose to use violence. However speaking of bank robbery, which is seen as the domain of violent sub human ghetto dwellers. What about when rich suburban bank executives commit blue collar crimes and deprive thousands of people of funds as a result or homes. When do they get treated as badly or seen as subhuman when they are found out ?

Old 04-20-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post

Perfect :-). Thank you for the clear summary of my essay about robbing/not robbing banks :-).

I just want to point out again that educational/employment opportunities, and public assistance for those sufficiently disabled that they cannot train/work, are fortunately more than adequate in this country so that no US citizen is forced to break law in order to survive.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Perfect :-). Thank you for the clear summary of my essay about robbing/not robbing banks :-).

I just want to point out again that educational/employment opportunities, and public assistance for those sufficiently disabled that they cannot train/work, are fortunately more than adequate in this country so that no US citizen is forced to break law in order to survive.
I agree it's a cop out for people who like myself grew up in the inner city to adopt crime as a legitimate because they grew up poor. The South Bronx is not poverty. It's poor by US standards but there is still an abundance of food and schools. You have expressed the sentiment that good people rise above their circumstances. I agree. Just want to point out in the discussion which seemingly has become " Ghetto this or that ". The majority of people in the ghetto are people who also agree with you, who don't partake in violence, work hard, and if they stay in their neighborhoods have managed to be good people. I would argue it's more impressive for kids who become good adults in a ghetto environment are more laudable then kids who lived in better areas their whole lives. Thus, living in the inner City with others who made the right choices and took no short cuts is not a bad thing. People passing judgement on entire neighborhoods are missing how many good people are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: