Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I look out at several residential towers across from my office windows in midtown west and some of those buildings remind me of projects. I laugh to myself and wonder how much people are paying in rent to live in those tiny box apartments in non-descript buildings. Say what you want about TT, but at least they are unique looking. If they were luxury rentals and in Manhattan, I wonder how the comments here might differ.
In a sense you are right because people on here tend to say how hideous tr NYCHA housing projects are but a lot non-government buildings built around the same time receive the opposite comments.

To be honest I think the housing projects in NYC look better than most other housing projects in other cities.

NYC, Boston, philly, and Toronto probably have some of the better looking housing projects in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 04:21 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
yes this reminds me of that silly "superfinger" skyscraper in Manhattan on 48th and 8th Avenue--doesn't fit the area of primarily low rises

Old 07-28-2014, 09:23 AM

80 posts, read 85,362 times
Quote:
I was going to ignore this forum but I feel compelled to post here. I grew up in the neighborhood when the buildings were put up. The complex was built as a Mitchell-Lama rental which was supposed to target middle class residents. I do recall most of the neighborhood residents were surprised that the residents were mostly black and Hispanic. Perhaps it was how it was marketed. Scott Towers is just down the street and it is a Mitchell-Lama coop built around the same time. It was originally almost all Jewish but now is mixed. I don't think TT caused the neighborhood to change. There were socio-economic factors at the time that were to blame.

As for color vs. class, it really is all relative. I ride the Metro -North train and I see lots of Irish that act really low class who get off at Woodlawn. Swilling beer, feet on the seats, bad language. Just saying.

I condem that behavior as well. Low class cuts across all clases and racial lines. Idiots come in all colors.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 PM

The Tracy Towers from their inception was another form of scatter-side housing. And of course, the Liberals succeeded in screwing that part of the Bronx as well. Hilltop is right...if it were a market place driven housing arena, then it would not be the puss hole it is today.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:08 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Irish View Post
The Tracy Towers from their inception was another form of scatter-side housing. And of course, the Liberals succeeded in screwing that part of the Bronx as well. Hilltop is right...if it were a market place driven housing arena, then it would not be the puss hole it is today.
That's right Sad Irish...yet people refuse to admit to it out of convenience.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM

579 posts, read 945,549 times
Quote:
How do you know it is so bad? Have you ever even been inside? I know the leader of the tenants association and she loves the buildings. And what do liberals have to do with any of this? TT was built as a Mitchell Lama building for middle class.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 AM

Pietrang,

Good question. It was a while ago that I went into tower one, a friend of my brothers who went to Mt. St. Michaels with him, invited us to pop in. Since I was in the area, my brother and I went. It was 1999. We went into the foyer and the smell of urine was horrible. Trash, cigarette butts, etc. in many places.

His friend explained (a PR no less) that 'low class people' had taken over the building. From the smell, I had to concur.

I imagine it is likely worse today.

Scatterside housing was liberal housing construct to build projects for welfare families and locate them in solid, blue and white collar neighborhoods, in the hope that there would be some kind of healthy 'melding of cultures. It never worked.

It only hurts.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
How do you know it is so bad? Have you ever even been inside? I know the leader of the tenants association and she loves the buildings. And what do liberals have to do with any of this? TT was built as a Mitchell Lama building for middle class.
Pie...maybe the intention was for middle class folks to live in TT but the reality is the majority of the tenants in Tracey Towers are low income, low class people. I categorize it a slight step above Housing Projects.

Pretty much the same demographics with the same ghetto tendencies. As Sad Irish mentioned, the smell of urine, graffiti, cigarette butts and liquor bottles on the floor are all INDICATIVE of the CLASS of people that live there.

They then impose their will and lifestyle upon the community. Tracey Towers is a HUGE building. I believe it has a total of 800 units. Roughly 800 apartments filled with lower class people with ghetto tendencies. When you add all those things you then can see how just one complex can negatively affect the surrounding community.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:51 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
1999?

That was 15-years-ago. Does anyone have any information from this decade? How about some crime stats? Anyone get shot in TT or thrown off the roof recently? How about we limit it to the last 5 years?

Quote:
Pietrang,

Good question. It was a while ago that I went into tower one, a friend of my brothers who went to Mt. St. Michaels with him, invited us to pop in. Since I was in the area, my brother and I went. It was 1999. We went into the foyer and the smell of urine was horrible. Trash, cigarette butts, etc. in many places.

His friend explained (a PR no less) that 'low class people' had taken over the building. From the smell, I had to concur.

I imagine it is likely worse today.

Scatterside housing was liberal housing construct to build projects for welfare families and locate them in solid, blue and white collar neighborhoods, in the hope that there would be some kind of healthy 'melding of cultures. It never worked.

It only hurts.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
1999?

That was 15-years-ago. Does anyone have any information from this decade? How about some crime stats? Anyone get shot in TT or thrown off the roof recently? How about we limit it to the last 5 years?

Next time I am up that way I will update you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City