Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times

Advertisements

I first was up close to Tracey in 1986. Thinking it was a splashy borderline luxury complex, I was dissapointed when i actually saw the outside environment. But it still looked cleaner than it does today. When it opened in 1972 was it any nicer than it is today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:39 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
I was in there several years ago & it wasn't dirty at all. It's all very dated though.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
What's TT? It's a lower class/ working class bldg. Cheap sheetrock walls without the old school plaster and lath walls. Is crime more prevalent in TT? I don't think so. It may have been to desegregate the area but it's part of the norm now. How are the view from the top flrs?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:25 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
Exactly. TT is just a low to middle income building. Since it was built in the 70s it's likely better than many of the surrounding tenement buildings which are even more dated than TT. Most of the buildings in the neighborhood were built in the 20s and 30s so how is that for old? The place has it's issues but it's not the hell-hole that some claim it is but of course on CD any place that isn't 97.99% caucasion occupied is a sh*thole. I used to live in parkchester (40% black) and people made it seem like you would be beaten and robbed as soon as you stepped off the 6.

The last I heard of anything really going down in TT was several years ago when a Chinese food delivery guy got stuck in an elevator for 2 or 3 days. The police saw a man with barbecue sauce on his t-shirt and arrested him before they verified that it was NOT blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I was in there several years ago & it wasn't dirty at all. It's all very dated though.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:11 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Exactly. TT is just a low to middle income building. Since it was built in the 70s it's likely better than many of the surrounding tenement buildings which are even more dated than TT. Most of the buildings in the neighborhood were built in the 20s and 30s so how is that for old?
Personal preference I guess. I find the style of those 20s and 30s to be more classic, so don't consider them dated, but again, it's personal. My house is even older, probably built before 1900, so I guess that's really dated lol.

TT must have improved a lot since the late nineties though (according to another poster's visit at that time).

Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
The six story art deco apartment buildings in the Bronx are some of my favorite all-time residential buildings. I have a strong bias against extremely tall apartment buildings. Up to 15 or 16 stories is okay but taller than that is just too tall for living in. For offices it's okay but I don't believe humans were meant to live in giant ant colonies.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times
Here is my two cents in...... I am a current resident. I have lived here over 30 yrs & like the leader of the tenants Association, I for the most part like living here. Some of the things I have liked is that the bus stops right in front of my door, the #4 train is 1/2 block away, the D train is a short walk, there are 2 hospital in walking distance as well as a college, a bus to Westchester is 1/2 block away, when I walk outside see trees, grass & greenery and not just endless buildings _nice if youare walking a dog. The rooms are a good size and gas & electric are inluded and @ least there is some security as opposed to none at all. I consider myself middle class. It is true...... pethaps they should rename it AfricanTowers because although there is a waiting list...... if an something becomes vacant - youcan bet your life an African will get the apartment. You can bet and win money that if you were walking into the building carrying hands full of groceries an African will not hold the door for you particularly the men... the door will slam in your face. The second building at best is 95% African no less a waiting list. Yes, they won in court to increase to market rent but still you have to hand in an income affidavit like Michelle Lama. Yes, the scaffolding was up long before actual work was done..... the scaffolding cost lots per year when work wasnt done. I wish it could turn to Coop, but even after the big increases and updates there are toomany violations. Your guess is as good as mine (given As its been stated low class people) who is it that cannot throw their garbage down the compactor chute or dumps rice & food in the compactor sink and/or leaves LARGE ITEMS such as mattresses in the hallways????? Managements favorites.....Africans. Low class as you state knew better than this. Was googling around looking @ the tiny little apartments all over. This is a convenient location.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:33 AM

99 posts, read 190,111 times
Default Is Tracey Towers safe? Would a white, asian or latino person become a TARGET?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinthere View Post
Here is my two cents in...... I am a current resident. I have lived here over 30 yrs & like the leader of the tenants Association, I for the most part like living here. Some of the things I have liked is that the bus stops right in front of my door, the #4 train is 1/2 block away, the D train is a short walk, there are 2 hospital in walking distance as well as a college, a bus to Westchester is 1/2 block away, when I walk outside see trees, grass & greenery and not just endless buildings _nice if youare walking a dog. The rooms are a good size and gas & electric are inluded and @ least there is some security as opposed to none at all. I consider myself middle class. It is true...... pethaps they should rename it AfricanTowers because although there is a waiting list...... if an something becomes vacant - youcan bet your life an African will get the apartment. You can bet and win money that if you were walking into the building carrying hands full of groceries an African will not hold the door for you particularly the men... the door will slam in your face. The second building at best is 95% African no less a waiting list. Yes, they won in court to increase to market rent but still you have to hand in an income affidavit like Michelle Lama. Yes, the scaffolding was up long before actual work was done..... the scaffolding cost lots per year when work wasnt done. I wish it could turn to Coop, but even after the big increases and updates there are toomany violations. Your guess is as good as mine (given As its been stated low class people) who is it that cannot throw their garbage down the compactor chute or dumps rice & food in the compactor sink and/or leaves LARGE ITEMS such as mattresses in the hallways????? Managements favorites.....Africans. Low class as you state knew better than this. Was googling around looking @ the tiny little apartments all over. This is a convenient location.

You say it is mostly black people living there? Is Tracey Towers safe for white, asian or latino people to live in? Would they become a target? How is it at night taking the train? Safe?

Old 09-07-2015, 02:58 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieNYC View Post
You say it is mostly black people living there? Is Tracey Towers safe for white, asian or latino people to live in? Would they become a target? How is it at night taking the train? Safe?
The poster is saying that there is a racial divide and between Africans, and African Americans with African's getting preferential treatment.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:05 PM

931 posts, read 801,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The poster is saying that there is a racial divide and between Africans, and African Americans with African's getting preferential treatment.
Africans are better behaved, calmer and more civilized that African Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City