Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 12:38 PM

5,678 posts, read 2,610,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

All of what you're witnessing right now is nothing new. You mean to tell me you felt safe all these years taking the train in the Bx at night before Covid?
Absolutely. Didn't give in a second thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 09:52 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Lol I've been harassed a few times by females on the train actually. The train has always been crazy and never been safe. You think there was some magical era where people had on diamond jewelry and it was no problem.

Safety on the subway has always been a problem.

All of what you're witnessing right now is nothing new. You mean to tell me you felt safe all these years taking the train in the Bx at night before Covid?
I've been riding the subway since I was a teen and never have been harassed. Panhandlers yes, but nothing more. What I started to notice an increase in however was the number of homeless people and mentally ill. On some trains, you could find them in several cars. More of them than actual passengers.

Like I said, they can have it. I have no intentions of taking the subway anytime soon.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've been riding the subway since I was a teen and never have been harassed. Panhandlers yes, but nothing more. What I started to notice an increase in however was the number of homeless people and mentally ill. On some trains, you could find them in several cars. More of them than actual passengers.

Like I said, they can have it. I have no intentions of taking the subway anytime soon.
To me, being harassed by mentally ill homeless was always a real threat on the subway. To me its never been any better or worse.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-25-2021, 10:35 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
To me, being harassed by mentally ill homeless was always a real threat on the subway. To me its never been any better or worse.
I would disagree with that, the difference being that the situation was isolated to certain lines. The A being a very long line is known to have more homeless and crazies. Pre-COVID, I would have to scan the cars thoroughly, and still walked onto trains that smelled like hell and had to run to the next car. For whatever reason, lines like the Q seemed to have become inundated with homeless since it was extended to 96th St. The A train essentially just worsened with the amount of homeless and mentally ill. The A, along with lines like the 2 train have become rolling homeless cars, especially on weekends. God help you if you need the train say on a Saturday morning. I stopped with any regularity before COVID and started opting to go by car.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:43 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
:!

Old 04-25-2021, 01:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
NYC has not reached the level of deplorableness as Seattle or SF yet but it is going towards that direction. Only reason it hasn't because the weather here is erratic and few places that can camp without being kicked out by building owners or police. Subways are slowly getting more Transit police patrolling again but it's not enough to keep a large subway system safe.

They need to install cameras inside every train, corridors, and stations.

The best defense to crime is to stop feeding where they are created. No amount of support can deter criminals from breeding. Plenty of women love breeding with criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City