Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 10:37 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Before the pandemic, Richard Wissak’s taxi garage - a fleet of a 140 taxis - was open around the clock.

"This has always been a 24/7 operation, and the cars would come into the shop to get maintenance, put up on a lift, oil change, brakes checked," Wissak said. "Everything had to be good for the New York city streets.”

Now, it’s quiet.

He closed operations at the start of the coronavirus pandemic, in March 2020.

He sold about 50 taxis, and most of the remaining vehicles in his fleet are parked, idle, in the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 05:34 AM

5,820 posts, read 2,943,117 times
There is not tourism. And people want to ride bikes like in a third world country.

Taxis are dead.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:09 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
There is not tourism. And people want to ride bikes like in a third world country.

Taxis are dead.

The tourism bit is solid and that'll be a slow recovery since NYC had so much international tourism. However, I don't think that recovery is going to be enough because rideshare like Lyft and Uber are doing well and have rebounded strongly since the depths of the pandemic. They were already taking a massive cut out of taxis before the pandemic and this has greatly accelerated the process.

I think people would prefer to ride bikes more like a first world country than a third world country. More like Denmark, the Netherlands, and Japan where bike ridership especially urban bike ridership is high rather than places like the Philippines or Bangladesh which are thought of as pretty terrible for bicyclists.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:23 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Yeah. I don't get this notion that the prevalence of bike ridership and third world go hand in hand.
I had Rick Steves Europe streaming in the background the other day and he was highlighting Amsterdam (or was it Denmark) and apparently there, bike riding is everywhere. I don't know much about Amsterdam (except pot and prostitution is legal there) but I don't think it's third world by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, Bloomberg has said that he got the idea of bringing citibike in NYC after spending his time in Europe.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:33 AM

6,441 posts, read 3,143,427 times
With respect to tourists, are the swanky hotels of NYC going to allow people to drag bicycles in and out of their lobbies, elevators, etc?

Old 04-25-2021, 11:35 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Before the pandemic, Richard Wissak’s taxi garage - a fleet of a 140 taxis - was open around the clock.

"This has always been a 24/7 operation, and the cars would come into the shop to get maintenance, put up on a lift, oil change, brakes checked," Wissak said. "Everything had to be good for the New York city streets.”

Now, it’s quiet.

He closed operations at the start of the coronavirus pandemic, in March 2020.

He sold about 50 taxis, and most of the remaining vehicles in his fleet are parked, idle, in the lot.
Yellow Taxis were on the declined with all the rider apps (Uber, Lyft, Via, etc). You can order a taxi from anywhere and go anywhere. Yellow taxis limited themselves by only servicing Columbia University south to Batter Park, JFK, and LGA. Green taxis was another blow to their market share. Now, the worth of a medallion is below 200k or so

Old 04-25-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
With respect to tourists, are the swanky hotels of NYC going to allow people to drag bicycles in and out of their lobbies, elevators, etc?

Swanky hotels are usually in the area served by bikeshare. These are bikes you can rent and usually with set docking areas where you lock and unlock them that are placed throughout the city and you do not need to return them specifically to the dock you checked them out from them initially. They're fairly common in major cities and even smaller cities, and NYC's most prominent bikeshare system is Citibike. If for some reason you don't like the idea of using bikeshare or do not have a working credit or debit card, there are multiple hotels in the city that provide free bike rentals: https://www.nycinsiderguide.com/nyc-...-free-bicycles

Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 AM

6,441 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Swanky hotels are usually in the area served by bikeshare. These are bikes you can rent and usually with set docking areas where you lock and unlock them that are placed throughout the city and you do not need to return them specifically to the dock you checked them out from them initially. They're fairly common in major cities and even smaller cities, and NYC's most prominent bikeshare system is Citibike. If for some reason you don't like the idea of using bikeshare or do not have a working credit or debit card, there are multiple hotels in the city that provide free bike rentals: https://www.nycinsiderguide.com/nyc-...-free-bicycles
Interesting, I had no idea.......

Old 04-26-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Interesting, I had no idea.......

I've tried them in a few different cities, and generally I find this to be one of the better ways to get acquainted with and get around cities that have them. Walking gets you the details and the like, but it gets pretty tiring without covering all that much ground, cars in city centers is often just being in traffic or highways, so I find bikes to be a pretty good medium. If you aren't used to city biking, then I recommend doing it with someone who is, though I'm sure plenty of tourists just go for it.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-26-2021 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: