Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2021, 11:36 AM

37,026 posts, read 39,106,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
1. I am not sure that there is a safer area of NYC than a condo complex with private security and strict condo rules.

2. At the point where maintaining a crashpad for occasional use costs more than hotel for the amount of time I expect to spend in the city (80-90 days per year), it does not make sense to keep a crashpad. It only makes sense if maintaining the crashpad for 12 months is cheaper than hotel for x days.

3. The subject of this thread is racially related crime in NYC, not my crashpad in NYC, so this is the last I will say about my crashpad in this thread (and btw, I am not the one who "derailed" the thread with it - it is always somebody else who brings it up, usually in the context of telling me to get the h*ll out of the Bronx because people like me "do not belong in the community"). Neither you, nor anyone else, has legal right to forbid anyone to buy whatever property they want to buy, for whatever personal reason, anywhere in the US.

1. There's a difference in neighborhoods as well. There's almost certainly no way you're not cognizant of that, so you're more likely just being disingenuous.

2. This crashpad doesn't make much sense if you're worried so much about staying there. A hotel in a place where you aren't worried makes more sense.

3. Yes, it's not about you, but it becomes about you anyways. This happens in a lot of threads you're involved in with the common factor there being you. No one's forbidding you to own property, but it's kosher enough to tell you that you're being disingenuous or have a habit of making ridiculous statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 11:36 AM

8,306 posts, read 4,332,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Right, so once again, you purchased property in a higher than average crime area, why?

The large condo complex where I purchased a small unit does not have a higher than average crime, so your first premise is wrong. I already told you a number of times why I purchased what I purchased. My property is not the subject of this thread.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:41 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,526,735 times
Quote:
See my previous post, to which I added something while you were typing. I don't care what you think I should or should not have an interest in. I have an interest in the discussion of crime in NYC as it relates to my spending 80-90 days in NYC now, and I particularly have a high degree of interest in the discussion of crime in NYC as it relates to my decision whether or not to commit myself to buying a real home condo/co-op in Manhattan 8-9 years from now, at the age of 69-70.

7thfl loves doing this.

Everytime I mention some former hood area that gentrified somewhat, he always says why did I not buy a condo there instead of DUMBO.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:48 AM

335 posts, read 226,213 times
Maybe the place in the Bronx was 1/3rd the price of something on the UES.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
7thfl loves doing this.

Everytime I mention some former hood area that gentrified somewhat, he always says why did I not buy a condo there instead of DUMBO.
Sorry, I first made a comment that was actually related to something else (ie, to people hating on improvements in quality of life in NYC), so I removed it, but anyway...beats me what motivates people to get obsessed with personal matters of other posters, in a discussion of a public issue such as crime.

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-30-2021 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-30-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine19 View Post
Maybe the place in the Bronx was 1/3rd the price of something on the UES.

Obviously, and I made that point. It was probably less than 1/3 :-). More importantly, it costs 1/3 to maintain it, otherwise I'd stay in the hotel. And what does THAT have to do with this thread?

Old 04-30-2021, 12:54 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,222,477 times
Is the guy still alive?

Old 04-30-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Is the guy still alive?

According to the GoFundMe website to raise funds for him, he still is (ie, no mention of death). Btw, the goal of the fundraiser was $50k, and they have collected $543.5k so far, in less than a week. There was one single donation of over $100k.

Added: the victim was a pastry chef, who was collecting cans after he lost his job due to covid. The perpetrator has a long record of violent crimes, including kidnapping and sexually assaulting a young Staten Island woman in 1998, and two different assaults at Port Authority in 2006 (plus more).

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-30-2021 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-30-2021, 01:14 PM

926 posts, read 414,632 times
Quote:
Obviously, and I made that point. It was probably less than 1/3 :-). More importantly, it costs 1/3 to maintain it, otherwise I'd stay in the hotel. And what does THAT have to do with this thread?
If the place is safe and more affordable, I can see why someone would choose to buy a crash pad in the Bronx. Especially if the building or the complex has a full-time doorman/security.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
If the place is safe and more affordable, I can see why someone would choose to buy a crash pad in the Bronx. Especially if the building or the complex has a full-time doorman/security.

Of course, Fleura123, but my crashpad really is besides the point here. As though a normal person needs any reason for not wanting crime in the streets, other than obviously not wanting crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City