Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 03:50 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

All the extra metallurgy is killing the planet anyway.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 04:22 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We are comparing 18th century values to 21st century values

Different world back then.
Have to change the Constitution properly then. If we don't follow the laws as enshrined in our founding documents, we aren't really the nation we claim to be.

The constitution has been amended before. I believe 19 times? If the powers be can follow the proper channels and amend the Constitution to cancel the 2nd Amendment, so be it. I dare them to try.

But do it right at least.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-27-2021, 04:35 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
You're a special kind of troll and I am tiring of your schtick.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-27-2021, 05:37 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Today the big downside is that a typical civilian may over react to a situation..an ass beating is not always considered a life threatening situation...one may draw a weapon in a situation that deadly force is not warranted and open a whole lot of legal trouble and or a civil suite that bankrupts you
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thats my point

Lol, the amount of threads about the train so dangerous, please, the train was always dangerous. And I dont care, its still safer than the 1980s and 1990s. Even safer than the mid-2010s.

Imagine all those same people carrying guns now
Doesn't that hold true about the ENTIRE US? Even in states that have extremely lax gun laws? This line of reasoning could be used to enforce NYC style gun laws across the entire country.if it made any sense.

Same goes for ownership of any tool that could be used as a weapon

Anybody can bring a knife to a fistfight. Why not ban knives?

Old 04-27-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
The poverty rate in New York is 15.1%. One out of every 6.6 residents of New York lives in poverty.

where is there a city in the world that has a similar or greater population of poor people
where crime has been kept down because there is a large number of citizens with legal guns walking around ?

or do you just like guns?
Is that the poverty rate before all the government programs or after? Don't take political statistics at face value.

Even if that were true, the right to own a gun is irrespective of whether it'll keep crime down or up or sideways.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:47 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Doesn't that hold true about the ENTIRE US? Even in states that have extremely lax gun laws? This line of reasoning could be used to enforce NYC style gun laws across the entire country.if it made any sense.

Same goes for ownership of any tool that could be used as a weapon

Anybody can bring a knife to a fistfight. Why not ban knives?
You run the same risk with a knife …any unwarranted escalation by you can have big consequences.

Stab someone in a fist fight and see what happens

Old 04-27-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
You run the same risk with a knife …any unwarranted escalation by you can have big consequences.

I agree but why is escalation a worry at all? Anybody can escalate at any time about anything.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:11 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
Quote:

I have witnessed it myself. If two people are pacing around talking about fighting but not necessarily going to do it and then one shows a knife not even in a flashy way or not even saying they have it.
The other one is like "oh so you have knife !! " and gets excited
The violence potential goes way up.

Last edited by jonbenson; 04-27-2021 at 07:31 PM..

Old 04-27-2021, 07:39 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Have to change the Constitution properly then. If we don't follow the laws as enshrined in our founding documents, we aren't really the nation we claim to be.

The constitution has been amended before. I believe 19 times? If the powers be can follow the proper channels and amend the Constitution to cancel the 2nd Amendment, so be it. I dare them to try.

But do it right at least.
In addition to the 10 in the Bill of Rights that have been 17 subsequent amendments for a total of 27.

I know the Supreme Court has ruled that it's the right of every citizen to bear arms but I would hasten that a more liberal court would probably rule the language is unclear since it states "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." And you can interpret that as the right of the people in order to keep a well regulated militia only and not for anything else, necessarily, among other interpretations.

It'll be generations before there's a more liberal court, however.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're a special kind of troll and I am tiring of your schtick.
You're giving him too much credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City